U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:48 AM

32 posts, read 73,265 times

Advertisements

After reading "A Nation of Farmers" and seeing "Food, Inc." I am more convinced than ever that we need to actually know where our food is coming from (and grow some of our own). Besides helping ourselves we can help local small farmers. I have a few go-tos -
Barbee Farms, Concord
Matthews Farmer's Market, Matthews
Mint Hill Farmer's Market, Mint Hill
Tucker Adkins Dairy, York, SC

Anyone care to add to the list of farms, farmers' markets, dairies, etc. that actually grow their own food in the area instead of shipping it in?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 08:04 AM

7,041 posts, read 14,198,051 times
Depending upon where you live,you can have your own small urban farm right in your backyard where you can grow your own food and not have to search out farmer's markets. THAT is the best way to do it!

Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 AM

905 posts, read 3,309,372 times
Here is a link for those who might be in the restaurant business. It is a virtual farmers market connecting growers in Rutherford Co to restaurants and produce buyers. I hear it has been very successful.

Farmers Fresh Market

Old 07-08-2009, 09:08 AM

32 posts, read 73,265 times
Ok, my ESP must be working overtime - just heard on NPR that tomorrow's Charlotte Talks is on the local food movement - featuring the author of "A Nation of Farmers"! Appropriate or what???

Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 AM

35,881 posts, read 73,123,508 times
Very appropriate - and a topic I feel many people in our region are interested in! Thanks for a great post, Gandhi. Hope others will add info.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM

14,691 posts, read 25,306,074 times
The Bradford Store, Huntersville, NC Locally Grown & Organic Produce, Farmers Market has a lot of good items. As does The Hillbilly Produce Market. The website for HPM doesn't work.

Hillbilly Produce Market
7024 E Independence Blvd, Charlotte, NC - (704) 535-1468

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM

393 posts, read 1,131,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Depending upon where you live,you can have your own small urban farm right in your backyard where you can grow your own food and not have to search out farmer's markets. THAT is the best way to do it!
Agreed. If you are that concerned about your food, grow your own. Turn your entire backyard into a garden and stock up.
Who knows what local farmers do to their crops...just because its local don't mean its any better that what you get at the store. Just less traveled.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:31 AM

43 posts, read 93,850 times
Default Tailgate Farmers Market

There is the Charlotte Tailgate Farmers Market

Charlotte Tailgate Farmers Market

They are 100% local and the large majority of them are organic or use organic practices. The difference being that you have to pay uncle sam a lot of money to say you're USDA organic.

It's located in Southend and they are open on Tuesdays and Saturdays. They have mostly veggies, but do have grassfed beef, pastured pork (sometimes), and free range eggs.

I go there twice a week and try to stock up on whatever I can.

You can also get involved with Slow Food Charlotte (a branch of Slow Food USA / International).

Slow Food Charlotte Online - Supporting food that is Good, Clean & Fair.

They promote farming/eating local/urban gardens/traditional food. It started in France as an anti fast food movement.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM

283 posts, read 615,145 times
Hooray for local farmers. I would rather the money go into their pocket than someone in Argentina or even California for that matter. Money paid to Virginia farmers stays in Virginia and helps the local economy. One thing is for sure, the shorter the trip to the market, the more likely that you will get something that has some taste and flavor to it. I am tired of eating machine picked tomatoes that taste like cukes. I do have my own garden, and I keep the entire neighborhood supplied with free produce during the summer. As to safety, no buying locally grown produce does not guarantee that it is safe and not contaminated by chemicals. You have to rely on the honesty and integrity of the person you are buying from. If you buy from a local farmer you at least know who that person is. When you buy from a mega store, you are clueless as to what and where your food is coming from. As Americans, we are fortunate to have access to a bountiful harvest of food at relatively affordable prices. It may not always be organic or wholesome, but it sure beats going hungry.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:42 PM

8,237 posts, read 12,781,161 times
Great thread !

We grow some of our own and have a little produce stand that DH enjoys buying from. We only purchase meats from HT, after doing research on COOL labeling, I find that HT is honest about their meats and where they come from. We are VERY picky about what we buy to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte