Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 07:47 PM

9 posts, read 22,222 times

Advertisements

We live in Huntersville. It's nice enough, but we mostly chose it because everyone told us to (property values - better investment). Otherwise, if you don't live on the lake, I'm not quite sure what all the hubub is about. Ramsey Creek park is nice. Birkdale is nice. But it would be a lot nicer is Birkdale were the actual town - it feels a little weird having this one stop-light town and then everyone goes over the fake "town" at Birkdale.

Amen to the more sidewalks. I'd like bike lanes too. And a revival of downtown.

Julie
New In Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 06:12 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie.kelly View Post
We live in Huntersville. It's nice enough, but we mostly chose it because everyone told us to (property values - better investment). Otherwise, if you don't live on the lake, I'm not quite sure what all the hubub is about. Ramsey Creek park is nice. Birkdale is nice. But it would be a lot nicer is Birkdale were the actual town - it feels a little weird having this one stop-light town and then everyone goes over the fake "town" at Birkdale.

Julie
New In Charlotte

Well downtown Huntersville is building up now. The new Discovery Place Kids is under construction on Gilead Rd nead Hwy 115 as well as the new Town Hall. This is scheduled for completion next year sometime.

A new police department is to be built somewhere around there in 2 years.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 AM

415 posts, read 1,152,212 times
If the north commuter rail line ever begins construction, downtown H'ville will really take off. I would expect that the less desirable stuff that is near it will be much upgraded.

It will change regardless of the rail line, but that would really get things going.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,907,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julie.kelly View Post

Julie
New In Charlotte
Birkdale is simply a center for retail for the surrounding community. It is a concept that is catching on in many areas outside of major urban areas. It provides a central area for shops, restaurants, bookstores, bars, etc. It is not a "fake town" whatever that means unless your concept of fake means convenient and nice to have. Living someplace because people tell you to is never a smart move. Huntersville is not far removed from being a country town. It is growing and things are being built for the convenience of its citizens. It is sad that Huntersville didn't plan for your arrival and have everything in place. I suppose in the meanwhile we will have to either go to the mall, Charlotte, or simply settle for the "fake town" of Birkdale.

P.S. What hubub are you talking about? I don't really hear much about Huntersville at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:39 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,088,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Birkdale is simply a center for retail for the surrounding community. It is a concept that is catching on in many areas outside of major urban areas. It provides a central area for shops, restaurants, bookstores, bars, etc. It is not a "fake town" whatever that means unless your concept of fake means convenient and nice to have. Living someplace because people tell you to is never a smart move. Huntersville is not far removed from being a country town. It is growing and things are being built for the convenience of its citizens. It is sad that Huntersville didn't plan for your arrival and have everything in place. I suppose in the meanwhile we will have to either go to the mall, Charlotte, or simply settle for the "fake town" of Birkdale.

P.S. What hubub are you talking about? I don't really hear much about Huntersville at all.
My biggest complaint against Huntersville is the traffic, but then again who doesnt have traffic?

Huntersville has grown rapidly over the past 10 years. Besides the roads, I think that Huntersville was planned very well. Its a clean, safe feeling city (its still officially a 'town'.) It has a pretty even mix of retail and neighborhoods.

Birkdale Village reminds me of something straight out of the movie "Truman Show". But I guess that is a good thing.

I dont think Birkdale is a 'fake town'. Its real, its not an illusion. Unless julie.kelly meant that it is not the center of the town which is true, but that Sam Furr Rd corridor is where all the retail and restaraunts are located. Like I posted above, next year at this time downtown Huntersville will have "built up" with more of a downtown feel.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:40 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,668,718 times
I'd like to see more progress on the extensions to the Torrence Creek Greenway, and definitely a project to link all of the dis-jointed sections of sidewalks together. It would be nice if there could be some sort of lakefront commercial/retail development, but I haven't seen anything like that proposed in any planning projects.

I'd love it if Huntersville could get a Sonic and a decent, convenient, modern car washing facility.

The biggest pet peeve I have is that I constantly go to Northlake Mall or out to Cornelius or Davidson or even up to Mooresville to spend money. For some reason a lot of businesses seem to have a hard time surviving in Huntersville. Maybe that will change over time, we'll have to see.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
My biggest complaint against Huntersville is the traffic, but then again who doesnt have traffic?

Huntersville has grown rapidly over the past 10 years. Besides the roads, I think that Huntersville was planned very well. Its a clean, safe feeling city (its still officially a 'town'.) It has a pretty even mix of retail and neighborhoods.

Birkdale Village reminds me of something straight out of the movie "Truman Show". But I guess that is a good thing.

I dont think Birkdale is a 'fake town'. Its real, its not an illusion. Unless julie.kelly meant that it is not the center of the town which is true, but that Sam Furr Rd corridor is where all the retail and restaraunts are located. Like I posted above, next year at this time downtown Huntersville will have "built up" with more of a downtown feel.

I used to live just a few miles from the "Truman Show" town. It was Seaside, Florida. I like Birkdale much better. Traffic can be a b...ch. I would like to see rail service out to Huntersville and beyond. I can easily believe that Huntersville got the high rating. Cornelius was listed a number seven, not so long ago,for best city city (under 25K) in the U.S.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I'd like to see more progress on the extensions to the Torrence Creek Greenway, and definitely a project to link all of the dis-jointed sections of sidewalks together. It would be nice if there could be some sort of lakefront commercial/retail development, but I haven't seen anything like that proposed in any planning projects.

I'd love it if Huntersville could get a Sonic and a decent, convenient, modern car washing facility.

The biggest pet peeve I have is that I constantly go to Northlake Mall or out to Cornelius or Davidson or even up to Mooresville to spend money. For some reason a lot of businesses seem to have a hard time surviving in Huntersville. Maybe that will change over time, we'll have to see.
Within a month, one will be able to use sidewalks on Catawba Ave. all the way from the Cornelius courthouse to Jeton Rd. I am not to sure about the safety of crossing the streets over I-77 walking that direction. I am able to walk by sidewalk from my home on Torrence Chapel Rd. all the way to Jeton Park daily. The sidewalk scene is getting much better. I hope that eventually they will run sidewalks all the way to #23.

I don't think there will ever be much of a retail/commercial business around the Cornelius sector of the lake. It is all private residential or parks. I see that sort of thing around Mooresville. Luckily, my favorite restaurants in Huntersville have survived. I really haven't seen too many closings my way.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:22 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,758,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
...I don't think there will ever be much of a retail/commercial business around the Cornelius sector of the lake. It is all private residential or parks...
What about Augustalee? I thought that was in Cornelius. Or do you mean the actual lakefront itself?

Augustalee: Augustalee - Historic New Name For The Village At Lake Norman

Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,340,272 times
I understand what julie means by calling Birkdale Village a fake town. I call it "faux urban" myself! I have also said it reminds me of Disneyland, with it's replica of Main Street USA. It is a planned area, and they did a pretty good job of planning it. The place is abuzz with all types of people, especially on a weekend evening with free concerts, outdoor seating (8? 12? restaurants + Starbucks) is packed and small kids are playing in the fountain. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte