Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 07:29 AM

272 posts, read 786,058 times

Advertisements

Saw Harry Potter last night and let me say that it didn't do the book justice. I don't want to give anything away for people that haven't seen it but I think if you have read the book you will be a little let down. Still a great movie but I think they could have done better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 07:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDREAMING View Post
Saw Harry Potter last night and let me say that it didn't do the book justice. I don't want to give anything away for people that haven't seen it but I think if you have read the book you will be a little let down. Still a great movie but I think they could have done better.
How do you compare it w/ the other movies? Did you feel they represented the books better as compared to this one? I am very curious!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
I've never read any of the books so I can go it without any prejudice. I have found that if any book I like is made into a movie, it is invaribly disappointing.

A movie has never come close to what I pictured with my imagination when I read the book. People always say LOTR was the best adaptation but I hated those books so I wouldn't know.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:09 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Empire of the Sun was a great adaptation. I saw the movie first, then bought the book. Turns out the movie was pretty faithful. Gorgeous photography and very interesting true story of English boy separated from his parents when they were fleeing Shanghi at the start of WWII. He spent the war years there on his own.

But in general, I agree that most movie adaptations are not so good.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 AM

314 posts, read 1,136,462 times
If you go into any movie ready to compare it to the book, you are going to be disapointed. You need to just let the movie be it's own thing and judge it on it's own. A book is only limited by your imagination and the author's ability to describe something. A movie is limited by reality, physics, and budget. It will never compare.
Compare this Harry Potter movie with the other movies, but don't compare it to the book.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Empire of the Sun was a great adaptation. I saw the movie first, then bought the book. Turns out the movie was pretty faithful. Gorgeous photography and very interesting true story of English boy separated from his parents when they were fleeing Shanghi at the start of WWII. He spent the war years there on his own.

But in general, I agree that most movie adaptations are not so good.
That movie is on my "best movies ever filmed" list! And I agree - very nice adaptation. I even love the score from that film. Sadly, when I mention it to most folks, they haven't seen it - yet it was one of Spielberg's most brilliant pieces of work. Of course, it is 20 + years old now . . . but I try to watch it once a year!!!

Old 07-16-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
If you go into any movie ready to compare it to the book, you are going to be disapointed. You need to just let the movie be it's own thing and judge it on it's own. A book is only limited by your imagination and the author's ability to describe something. A movie is limited by reality, physics, and budget. It will never compare.
Compare this Harry Potter movie with the other movies, but don't compare it to the book.
That is what I was thinking. How well did it compare to the other movies. I thought the previous movies were very well done - and they stood on their own, whether you had read the books or not.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 AM

358 posts, read 982,911 times
Looking at all the films from purely an entertainment standpoint, they're all pretty good.

I was at the midnight showing for the Half-Blood Prince. It had numerous parts that had my laughing my head off.

I'm a huge fan of the Potter books, but I knew not to expect a great translation. As I expected, a lot was left out from the books, some things were changed and a few things were added that weren't in the book.

But overall, it was a good film. But I'd advise everyone to actually read the books. They're much better.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,612,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens44 View Post
I find it difficult not to go into the movie without comparing it to the book. What is the point of making a book/comic book into a movie if you are not going to respect the source material? I can accept some changes but Hollywood takes it too far. I understand they have to make money and appeal to a wide an audience as possible but I don't have to like it.

It seems like they only pay for book rights so that they can get the same title for name cache.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That movie is on my "best movies ever filmed" list! And I agree - very nice adaptation. I even love the score from that film. Sadly, when I mention it to most folks, they haven't seen it - yet it was one of Spielberg's most brilliant pieces of work. Of course, it is 20 + years old now . . . but I try to watch it once a year!!!
Off-topic for this thread, but Christian Bale was the child actor. He received a lot oif acclaim for his work in the film. The late Miranda Richardson polayed one of his fellow prisoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte