Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 11:50 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,589 times

Advertisements

i will not take offense , we don't have to sell , although we would prefer to.
and i do think it is a limited market for an actual mid century modern .
we happen to loooove them but they are not for everybody.
bring it on--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 PM

276 posts, read 477,221 times
It's a gorgeous house. Sell it to someone who realizes that.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:02 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,560,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
i am going to try the mls number 802866
we are no matter what, taking it off the market august 1 , having to join the crowd of people with houses up for rent.
thinking we should be able to rent for $1700 a month , feel free to burst that bubble also , too much or just right?
Awesome house. I'm a huge fan of MCM! Do you have a pink bathroom?

I don't think 1700 for your house is too much AT ALL!

Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,865,803 times
Moved, that is a gorgeous house and I would buy it in a minute if I were moving to CLT and had the money! Lucky you to live in such an architectural gem.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Here's my take on it. I think that no-doc, subprime and ALT -A loans helped contribute to the inflation of housing prices. People could get the loan for that "dream house" so they just did it. And many were coming from higher priced areas so the $400,000 house that would have cost them $850,000 "back home" looked like a bargain. They didn't realize that based on the CLT market (and what the developer had paid for the land) - the house should have been priced about $325K. And they didn't check to find it out.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:15 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,737,657 times
First thing I noticed is that whoever took pictures is not doing justice to your beautiful home.

You need NEW pictures. You say the kitchen needs updating? Where is the kitchen in your pictures???

See what I mean?

Your basically writing a 15 chapter book and you're leaving out 11 Chapters.

That's for starters.....get pictures done from someone who knows lighting, etc...who knows HOW to take pictures of homes....(that's where a good realtor comes in)

Its a Plus plus that you are in the neighborhood where you are.....

Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,057,481 times
Quote:
i am going to try the mls number 802866
we are no matter what, taking it off the market august 1 , having to join the crowd of people with houses up for rent.
thinking we should be able to rent for $1700 a month , feel free to burst that bubble also , too much or just right?
You need a professional photographer to take pictures. The pictures are terrible. I have a feeling your pictures don't do justice to the beauty of your home.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
okay wise people, help me figure out how to price our house that has been on the market since sept 08.
almost impossible to get comps on this kind of house.
a 1968 modern designed by charlottean murray whisnant. located in a neighborhood with prices ranging from $300.000 to over 2 million, practically on the same street.
4bedroom , 3 full baths, .8 acre of mountain like lot.
we started out at $749.00 and is now at $625.00 ,
lot two doors down just sold for $400.00 , seems like we are in the right price range.
but we are not though, because the house has not sold!!
not one offer , the house was on the modern home tour this spring with nothing but positive feed back.
it is an extremely limited market for moderns and we have just had a really hard time figuring the right price where it will sell. our realtor [ longtime friend ] is of no help .
we expected that it would take a long time to sell ,simply because of the design of the house
but we are located in one of the most desirable areas of town [ southpark] , are we allowed to give mls numbers?
the kitchen is in great shape but for most people it needs total updating .
what i don't get is the lack of imagination from buyers , i am also one that does not see the big advantage to staging a house , i can see thru all of it , guess most poeple can't. we have bought a couple of houses while unoccupied , no big deal. makes it easier to "see" the house.

so give me the good ,the bad ,the ugly , i am open to suggestions.
The situation is . . . very limited, specific market for your period of home. I bet it is built so well and a splendid example of the period! But finding that right buyer - that is the thing. It would be the situation in ANY market, but now you are in a market w/ fewer buyers . . .

How you market your property is gonna be key.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,589 times
thank you for the compliments , everybody wants/loves it but nobody is buying it!

well , we have been trying to sell it to someone that appreciates moderns , no one can get a jumbo loan right now.

and no , the bathroom is not pink. murray whisnant had great taste and eye for materials. baths have original 2 inch thick slabs of slate counters with countersunk sinks , i believe the kitchen had as well but the previous owner had absolutely no clue as to the the style of the house . corrected as much as we could.

the house was ahead of its time in the respect that MW utilized passive solar energy , oh i could go on but do not want it to look like a for sale ad.

our problem is that IF the house is priced too low[ which in turn would make it sell] we are inviting builders to tear it down. that would be such a shame. this house has been featured in several books , articles and so forth.
the reason charlotte historic society put on the modern home tour was to try to save more of these houses. they realized that charlotte and the US is losing these gems at an alarming rate.

parts of our neighborhood has been raped by stupid ass developers the last few years.
we might be caught between a rock and a hard place , ouch.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
thank you for the compliments , everybody wants/loves it but nobody is buying it!

well , we have been trying to sell it to someone that appreciates moderns , no one can get a jumbo loan right now.

and no , the bathroom is not pink. murray whisnant had great taste and eye for materials. baths have original 2 inch thick slabs of slate counters with countersunk sinks , i believe the kitchen had as well but the previous owner had absolutely no clue as to the the style of the house . corrected as much as we could.

the house was ahead of its time in the respect that MW utilized passive solar energy , oh i could go on but do not want it to look like a for sale ad.

our problem is that IF the house is priced too low[ which in turn would make it sell] we are inviting builders to tear it down. that would be such a shame. this house has been featured in several books , articles and so forth.
the reason charlotte historic society put on the modern home tour was to try to save more of these houses. they realized that charlotte and the US is losing these gems at an alarming rate.

parts of our neighborhood has been raped by stupid ass developers the last few years.
we might be caught between a rock and a hard place , ouch.
To be brutally frank, if you get the price you want, you can't be concerned about what happens to the property when you sign over the deed.

So you gotta get that thought out of your mind.

If your goal is to sell the house, you are gonna have to either 1. take it off the market for a while, get it staged, have great photos taken and market it better . . . or 2. lower the price immediately and sell it to whomever has the $$$ to buy it.

I know that is cruel but that's the bottom line.

I agree with you - the knockdowns that have occurred in S. Charlotte make me queasy. But it is what it is.

If what you want is to move forward, then you gotta remind yourself not to look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte