Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:43 PM

276 posts, read 477,549 times

Advertisements

"All they reference is the architect and the properties of cedar siding. Buyer's and agents do not give a rodent's butt about this info during a home search. They need to know what are the features of the actual home and any aras of special interest. You are selling a house, not an architect."

Potential buyers of THIS house would absolutely be interested in this information.

I have only bought two houses in my life. Both times, the exterior architecture was of PRIMARY concern to me.

Why do you think no one wants to buy the embarrassing-looking garbage they've been building recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:53 PM

622 posts, read 1,785,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsobchak View Post
"All they reference is the architect and the properties of cedar siding. Buyer's and agents do not give a rodent's butt about this info during a home search. They need to know what are the features of the actual home and any aras of special interest. You are selling a house, not an architect."

Potential buyers of THIS house would absolutely be interested in this information.

I have only bought two houses in my life. Both times, the exterior architecture was of PRIMARY concern to me.

Why do you think no one wants to buy the embarrassing-looking garbage they've been building recently?
No problem. Keep the info on the architect but add the other info. There is plenty of room in the MLS to accomadate all of it.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:42 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,555,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
again , thank you for all the feedback , the pics are no good , on top of that nitetime pics really should be included. the realtor also has his mind stuck in 08 real estate , it is now hard work to sell a house. the days of just sticking it on the market are over!!

we are not excluding any buyers , at least not yet since no one has made an offer!! most builders are sitting on a huge inventory and our neighborhood itself has a dozen mcmansions to choose from.

just my opinion , staging is for people with no taste and bad furniture or paint , has never stopped me from putting an offer in on a house.
however ,the house was staged right out of a pages from modern home magazine .
besides , people interested in our house most likely has an imagination and understanding of the style.
in other words this is not a house that can be made to look like something it isn't ,to be sold to people just wanting the location, does that make sense?
we are taking it off the market come august 1 or maybe sooner ,that is one plus of working with a friend.
I looked at your home yesterday here
Modern Charlotte (http://www.moderncharlotte.com/listings/6366sharonhills/6366sharonhills.html - broken link)
Much better photographs and I thought it was stunning!

Old 07-17-2009, 04:50 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,243,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Contrary to what the herd here (and realtors) have been saying, Charlotte DID experience a bubble over the past 10 years or so.
Yes! What many people don't realize is that most of America had unsustainable housing price growth for the last 10 to 12 years. All of it was made possible by even more unsustainable lending practices. Sure, some bubbles were bigger than others, but the increases were crazy all over the country. Small towns in the Midwest were seeing house prices double in 6 to 8 years. Crazy!

And those near $1M or $1M+ homes? There never was a legitimate large market for these homes in the first place. Horrific credit practices, dumb lenders, and even dumber consumers rapidly created and expanded this market. Sadly, the actual legitimate demand for such homes is quite small. It's going to be interesting to see what happens to many of the McMansions sitting empty out there.

My Dad always said: "The most expensive thing you'll ever buy is your own ego. If you aren't careful, you'll be making ego payments until the day you die!" It makes sense! When one is trying to convince the world how great they are by buying ever bigger homes, cars, etc., things get out of control pretty quick. Dad advised us to break the connection between "stuff and money" and our "sense of self worth" to the greatest extent possible. And by the way, my old man had been predicting this economy for a long time!

Old 07-17-2009, 05:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,154,709 times
Any house new or old that is for sale at 150k or more MUST HAVE A GARAGE. A remodeled house behind mine is priced at 425k but has no garage.......Its been vacant for almost a year,gotta have a garage.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:07 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Any house new or old that is for sale at 150k or more MUST HAVE A GARAGE. A remodeled house behind mine is priced at 425k but has no garage.......Its been vacant for almost a year,gotta have a garage.
Well, a carport can work, too.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,408,405 times
again thanks for the feedback.

we always use a saying around here ; things are only worth what people will pay for it. i totally agree with that , but what it that worth on this house ?
if i can help it this house will not get into the hands of a builder, we do not have anything posted to that effect but i will try to make sure.

there is a nice two car carport attached to the house with a covered walkway.

it was my impression that the bonus was taken off long time ago, realtors suggestion to add that. i will check on that.

also the architect is very important on a house like this , his work speaks for himself.
the siding should be listed as cypress , not cedar , this is something i would want to know if i was looking, again this is not your regular house , it will only cater to a certain population.
this fact makes it harder to put a price on it.

funny , but for me i would only need to see a house from the outside to know if i want to own it, one can always work with the inside, a house has to speak to me.
your average house does not do much for me.

different strokes for different folks.

we have learned that buyers are looking for gold plated walkways to the front door .

Old 07-18-2009, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, a carport can work, too.
I am laughing. A realtor who was a native of NC was showing us a lovely house in the historic area of Concord. He asked us if it bothered us that it didn't have a garage and we said it wouldn't be a deal breaker at which he said "Well we didn't know we needed garages here until the Northeners came down and told us".

Not intended to be offensive at all-we just found it funny and it came to mind here.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,596,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
I am laughing. A realtor who was a native of NC was showing us a lovely house in the historic area of Concord. He asked us if it bothered us that it didn't have a garage and we said it wouldn't be a deal breaker at which he said "Well we didn't know we needed garages here until the Northeners came down and told us".

Not intended to be offensive at all-we just found it funny and it came to mind here.
LOL!!! No, it isn't offensive! And actually, that is pretty accurate. Up until the 80s, garages were not a big deal here. You will find many older homes that have carports or a detached garage (or "shed") at the back of the property. Homes built prior to the 60s didn't even have carports. Altho there were home designs in the 60s that integrated garages (often in split levels or raised ranches) . . . 2 story homes w/ garages were not the norm until after 1980 or so, when 2 story neo-traditional homes started integrating garages into the floor plan.

If you look in the older sections of Charlotte - such as Myers park - those old Federalist style homes had a porte cochere or a separate place for vehicles in the back and many of them have been updated to add a porte cohere or covered area to a garage.

Last edited by brokensky; 07-18-2009 at 08:48 AM..

Old 07-18-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
LOL!!! No, it isn't offensive! And actually, that is pretty accurate. Up until the 80s, garages were not a big deal here. You will find many older homes that have carports or a detached garage (or "shed") at the back of the property. Homes built prior to the 60s didn't even have carports. Altho there were home designs in the 60s that integrated garages (often in split levels or raised ranches) . . . 2 story homes w/ garages were not the norm until after 1980 or so, when 2 story homes neo-traditional homes started integrating garages into the floor plan.

If you look in the older sections of Charlotte - such as Myers park - those old Federalist style homes had a porte cochere or a separate place for vehicles in the back and many of them have been updated to add a porte cohere or covered area to a garage.
I like port cocheres.Sometimes garages do nothing for kerb appeal.I can understand that people need storage for expensive outdoor toys and I don't just mean kids toys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte