U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:50 PM

19 posts, read 71,324 times

Advertisements

I just moved here recently, and looked up dentists that accept my insurance. I called a couple, and the first one that was accepting new clients was Dentalworks. I scheduled an appointment expecting that I was going to be my teeth cleaned.

Day of the appointment, they tell me that they need to take xrays or we can't continue. I wasn't sure of the last date my xrays were taken, and I didn't have my records transferred (my fault), so I was concerned that my insurance would not cover it. I told them this, and they said that they will not charge me if my insurance denies the claim. Ok, so we proceed.

After the xrays, a person comes in to say that they are going to do a test to determine the health of my gums. First, they needed to scare the crap out of me by showing me pictures of what happens when you don't floss enough. They did the test, and I had mostly 3's and 4's, but I had a couple of 5 mm pockets in my gums.

The doctor comes in and says he is concerned about the 5's. He says that he is going to administer a oral exam for cancer. Ok, this is all new to me, but whatever. They give me a vinegary solution to swish with, and he checks me out. Wow, who would have thought that a 30 year old non-smoker doesn't have mouth cancer?

He says he is going to give me Perio Rx to swish in my mouth to deal with the 3's and 4's in my gums, but I will need to come back and get the 5 taken care of with antibiotics (Arrestin). He also says that I must grind my teeth in the night, and I will probably need a mouth guard.

When I am checking out, I realize I owe $80. I am not used to owing money when I go to the dentist, especially since my insurance covers cleanings and metal fillings. Oh wait, I forgot that I didn't actually get my teeth cleaned! They charged me $60 for an Adjunctive Pre-Diagnostic (which I am still trying to figure out what the hell that means) and $20 for the Perio Rx. They charged my insurance $62 for the cancer screening (I have read online that this costs them only $20).

They write up a whole plan of action for me, which includes coming back for the antibiotic (Arrestin) treatment, fixing one necessary cavity, my cleaning, a free teeth whitening (because that really affects the health of my teeth), and an optional night guard for my mouth which is crazy expensive and not at all covered by insurance. I would owe $745 after all of this, assuming my insurance pays for the extra $661.80.

So after my entire whinefest here, am I crazy? I only expected to go the dentist to get my teeth cleaned and walk out (oweing nothing). Are these dentists just really vigilant or do they just enjoy golfing a bit much? I don't floss as much as I should, but do I need to be concerned about the 5 mm pockets in my gums? I read online that the Arrestin treatment is not guaranteed to work and that the oral cancer screen is not even approved by the ADA.

Does anyone know of a traditional dentist in South Charlotte that understands that not everyone in this area has a money tree in their backyard?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 PM

22 posts, read 72,382 times
I hope someone post some info...I need a dentist too!
Good luck

Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM

578 posts, read 2,484,771 times
I've been happy with that office and their services. I've never had anything done I didn't expect and/or want done. Unfortunately, my dentist got deployed in the military somewhere, so I haven't been back.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 PM

148 posts, read 386,369 times
I had a similar experience, but not as drastic.

I didnt transfer my x-rays, so I did have to pay for a new set. My fault.

I expected to get a cleaning and get out, but I was told that I needed a partial to fix an old filling that was pretty deep and decaying. Ok, I do recall my dentist in NJ saying I need some work to fix that eventually, and it was starting to bother me, so I went with it. On my 3rd visit, I got my cleaning.

I did pay more than I expected due to the x-rays and additional work, but I am happy with the service. I will see how it goes in 6 months when I go back for my next scheduled visit. I don't expect to hear anything about additional work.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,442,900 times
Crowns, Bridges, Floyd And Crowley, Charlotte, NC

I've posted the link to my dentist and they are right down the road on Carmel from Dentalworks. Whether their on your plan or not, I don't know. They are very reasonable and don't do all the extra checking that you speak of except for a yearly 360 X-Ray which my insurance doesn't cover the full cost so I pay about $10.00 extra. I see Dr. Crowley who is VERY nice

I've heard mixed reviews from people about DentalWorks. Mostly the people I know use DentalWorks for larger scale work like crowns or partials. My friend used them when her "regular" dentist said she needed a crown and was going to charge "2X" I can't remember the #, she called Dentalworks and they only charged her "X". She brought all her X-Rays and records with her so they didn't do all the preliminary checking.

When I was in the market for a new Dentist, I called a few offices in Ballantyne for just a cleaning and x-rays and they all said I would have to setup up 2 appts. the first was a "smile consultation" and then a second for the actual work. UNREAL

Good Luck! I'm of the opinion that these guys are looking to suck every penny out of you if they can.

Jake

Old 07-20-2009, 06:04 AM

393 posts, read 1,122,910 times
Ah...Dentalworks. The BIGGEST scam in dentistry. I went to the one in Gastonia and had the same experience as you. Paid a lot, got absolutely nothing.

They told me I needed like 8 fillings (I've had 2 in my life), invisiline braces, all kinds of prescription dental care products...that would cost me $900 out of pocket.
I said "no thanks" (not in such kind language) and took my business elsewhere. Basically I spent my dental insurance benefits on nothing.
Went to another dentist (Dr. Jill Spurlin in Mt. Holly), she said I needed nothing...just a cleaning, and said it would be $139 up front, not "it depends" like Dentalscamworks told me.

DON'T GO TO DENTALWORKS!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:48 AM

999 posts, read 4,461,369 times
I had a similar experience when I went to dentalworks the first time....went in for a cleaning, ended up with about the same experience as you....the xrays (I did need them as it had been 2 yrs since my last visit), the scaring-the-crap-out-of-you part, "recommendations", and an appt to determine what type of cleaning I needed.....so then I had to go back, just to determine what type of cleaning I needed (one "5" area, so the whole antibiotic thing), and finally on my THIRD visit, a cleaning.
I'll not be going back, found a family dentist that I brought my daughter to who I liked. DH has spent THOUSANDS of dollars fixing his crappy teeth at Dentalworks and says he likes them....he's so cheap about everything else, but he won't budge on changing dentists, though I know he's getting scammed (and we really do not have the money for this right now). Problem is he has the worst teeth in the family and he won't change to a "regular" dentist, who will clean your teeth when you go in for a cleaning................Sorry to go on but I got all worked up when I saw your thread. Glad I'm not the only one feeling scammed by them, DH acts like I'm crazy because I felt that way.
Good luck finding a new dentist.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:06 PM

339 posts, read 671,868 times
Sounds like a dental scam.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM

368 posts, read 884,419 times
I remember looking into dentalworks last year when I was looking for a new dentist. Something about them seemed like a shady, discount retailer dentist. Glad I passed on them.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:49 PM

209 posts, read 585,099 times
Dental Works....scam..

I been through similar experience as the first post in Dental Works Pineville. They charged me and did not even clean my teeth at all. The also gave ma a dental plan that cost me more than $1000 after insurance deduction. I did not have any cavity nor serious gum disease, I just wanted a freaking teeth cleaning and check up.

My friend went to Dental Works in Rock Hill, same experience too.

I am wondering who operate this clinics....shame on those dentists that work there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>