Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,349 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are moving back to Charlotte after being away for 2 years. We lived in the University area before and do not really want to live there again. Now we're trying to decide between Lake Norman area (Cornelius/Davidson) or Myers Park area. We're a mid-30's couple with two boys (3 and 4 yrs old) and are a bit torn because we love the lake and the spacious houses/yards you can get there, but also like the idea of walking to shops/restaurants and having a great public school district in Myers park area. We would be able to take advantage of the great public schools in the Myers Park area, but also know that the housing is more expensive and MUCH older (which I'm not a fan of). Any thoughts out there? Anyone with a similar dilemma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 12:13 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,689,814 times
Well, living at the lake can be as expensive as living in MP. So I guess it depends on how much $$$ you have to spend. And yes, the homes in MP will be older than other burbs (or homes at the lake) altho you can occasionally find a McMansion built on a tear-down lot. Now, to me, 20 years old isn't a big deal and you can find some of those in the SouthPark area. Not sure what you mean by spacious but most lots will be 1/2 acre or so.

I guess it would come down to your commute. But since you have lived here, you must already feel neither area will pose a problem with a commute.

I've never really thought of MP as a place where I would spend much time walking to anything, but that's just me. Just be aware - a great number of folks in MP send their kids to private schools, so that could be a downer as far as other kids in the neighborhood - meeting and making friends. Depends on where you live at the lake - many living right on the lake send their kids to private schools, too.

It's nice to have a boat at the lake and have your own dock, so I might lean to the lake, if it were me.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:40 PM

35 posts, read 127,816 times
I agree with ani I would do the lake. Deciding between more amenities or a backyard water wonderland with a newer house -lake for sure. If you had waterfront in cornelius or even mooresville, shops and things may not exactly be walking distance but close enough that you probably would be satisfied. Now if you went to the west side of lake-denver area ,although beautiful, might be a little far out -low taxes though I personally like that area. Good luck

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,742,642 times
children = education. Walk to all instead of always having mama drive them.

Heck, at the way prices are dropping wait 6 more months and buy both.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,689,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
children = education. Walk to all instead of always having mama drive them.

Heck, at the way prices are dropping wait 6 more months and buy both.
It's just too much traffic to walk much in most areas. Charlotte is NOT pedestrian friendly. Not bike friendly, either.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:15 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,725,066 times
Unless you live in Dilworth or very select streets in Myers Park, there is not much you can easily walk to in Myers Park.

I would suggest you spend a day driving through both areas. They both have such a different feel that I am sure one will appeal to you more then the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte