Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:21 AM

172 posts, read 465,487 times

Advertisements

I hope the dogs escape the pen. Maybe someone kind will take them in. Can you open and let them out If he's drunk maybe he would not notice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 10:38 AM

182 posts, read 440,079 times
The is also an ordinance for odor control, it becomes a health department issue. The real problem you face is getting an agency (Animal Control, Health, Sanitation or Police) to make a effort to get involved. These issues fall into a "gray" area between a civil and criminal matter. City departments often don't respond because they are afraid of possible litigation with tight budgets. I have a neighbor whose dogs have attacked people and other dogs causing much strife in our quiet community, but Animal Control will not do anything unless you threaten to go before a District Court Judge to have dogs declared a nuisance, thus forcing AC hand to take action. If you can get another non-profit group involved to work with AC, you might get the issue resolved with more cooperation. Sorry to hear you have bad neighbor, as do I, but this process is long and drawn out, meanwhile the animals suffer. If you call out AC, remember, have the police and animal control at the location at the same time, one will not do anything without the other in these messy situations.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:47 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Our shelters are way overloaded. That is one reason AC is reluctant to take away the animals. If you get them declared a nuisance, there is always the possibility they will get put down.

What a mess!!! I would call the Humane Society and see how they may be able to help or get involved. Our AC officers are terribly overloaded and short on resources, too.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:50 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
thanks everybody.
the ac officers are defenitely overworked and on top of that , what a hard job they have. to deal with scumbags all day long.
believe me ,it ways hard on me that the dogs most likely will end up pts.
keep thinking since they are small dogs that they have a higher adoptablity.

this man should def be punished for how he treats animals , the sad thruth is that he most likely will move to the outskirts and start all over with a new batch of dogs.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
thanks everybody.
the ac officers are defenitely overworked and on top of that , what a hard job they have. to deal with scumbags all day long.
believe me ,it ways hard on me that the dogs most likely will end up pts.
keep thinking since they are small dogs that they have a higher adoptablity.

this man should def be punished for how he treats animals , the sad thruth is that he most likely will move to the outskirts and start all over with a new batch of dogs.
Just awful. I am sickened to think of how these poor animals are being treated. I agree - the guy is a cretin and slob - and needs to be cited for animal abuse and unfit conditions - and have all his animals taken away and adopted out. Shameful!!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 PM

38 posts, read 110,685 times
The problems you have here with the laws is that they state "adequate". One person's "adequate" is another persons abuse. The laws need to be clear for anyone to be able to do anything. The organization with the most clout is the ASPCA, HSUS (Humane Society of the United States) and your local Board of Health or HEalth Department.

PLEASE don't take the dogs yourself as suggested earlier. If you do that then YOU become the "bad guy" and YOU are the person who can be easily prosecuted. A situation like this is really difficult because of the many ways that the laws can be interpreted. But, keep trying. The Health Dept and the media can work wonders when they need to.

Good Luck!!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:04 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,832,914 times
Call code enforcement every time the weeds/kudzu grow up, you start smelling dog poo, etc.

Code Enforcement letters are complaint-driven and go to the owner of the house. With enouh letters and possibility of fines, they'll eventually get tired of the mess and do something about it. Get up with your neighbors and make it happen. Something will eventually get done.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:15 AM

171 posts, read 272,166 times
If you read the article on Time magazine(Getting Real About the High Price of Cheap Food - TIME )about the way chickens and pigs are raised for food supply it sounds a lot similar to the way these dogs are being raised

Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM

58 posts, read 171,994 times
Animal Control is an option, but Charlotte's animal control is so overcrowded they euthanize a staggering number of animals every week, it's very sad.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:32 AM

615 posts, read 1,693,121 times
You can try the humane society, ASPCA, etc but I don't think you will have any luck. NC laws are pretty slack when it comes to animal neglect, cruelty, etc. One person's idea of unsanitary may not be anothers. If they have shelter, food, and water that is pretty much all that is typically enforced. THe most they might be able to do is talk to the owners and at least get them worried enough to take care of them, rehome them, or get them to voluntarily give up the dogs. But then you risk what will happen to the animals afterwards. They also have SO many cases and so few staff/volunteers that they often can only pursue the very serious cases.

Your best bet might be if they are in fact breaking code and zoning laws to go that route. Also, call animal control if they are loose and the owners might have to pay a fine to get them back if it happens so many times, you'll have to look up the laws for that. Keep calling animal control if you see something that is against the law. The main thing that you have to understand is that you won't be able to take care of this with just one phone call, you'll have to really keep at it whichever route you take. Animal control is also very understaffed. You've probably got a handful of people at most covering all of Mech county.

Another option would be to try to get the owners to give you the dogs then you can either keep them yourself or try to rehome them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte