U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 05:12 PM

716 posts, read 1,436,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmom1871 View Post
they change their accent to sound southern just to not be discriminated against.

Wow are you serious? I cannot imagine anyone wanting to change their accent just to sound southern. I don't want to offend anyone with a southern accent but I have an extremely hard time trying to understand someone with a southern accent. I occasionally have to ask a southern to repeat themselves just because I don't understand their accent. I actually raise my voice a little when I am talking to a southerner just soo I can teach them a little bit of what the normal English language sounds like.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-01-2009, 05:18 PM

35,883 posts, read 71,554,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Wow are you serious? I cannot imagine anyone wanting to change their accent just to sound southern. I don't want to offend anyone with a southern accent but I have an extremely hard time trying to understand someone with a southern accent. I occasionally have to ask a southern to repeat themselves just because I don't understand their accent. I actually raise my voice a little when I am talking to a southerner just soo I can teach them a little bit of what the normal English language sounds like.
I find this quite interesting, seeing as how less than 1/3 of the folks who live in Charlotte are even from Charlotte. That means the chances of running into locals is pretty low . . .

Old 08-01-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I find this quite interesting, seeing as how less than 1/3 of the folks who live in Charlotte are even from Charlotte. That means the chances of running into locals is pretty low . . .

Yes but the fact of the matter is that we are still running into them!!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM

34 posts, read 88,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
How do you tell the difference between a native Charlottean and a transplant?

It's the transplants that think Charlotte is Southern. The comment about women taking on fake accents made me laugh.

Wow! that reply just proved what I stated to be true... I didn't know people from other areas were called "transplants" also look up US history North Carolina is a Southern state... We as people must come up higher, be more respectful toward one another on these threads. How sad...

Old 08-01-2009, 05:26 PM

6,777 posts, read 12,666,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottecharlotte View Post
i actually raise my voice a little when i am talking to a southerner just soo i can teach them a little bit of what the normal english language sounds like.
Oh really? How nice of you

Old 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post

Honestly no joke I really do.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:

and with that being said I will say that I find people with southern accents very attractive

Old 08-01-2009, 05:29 PM

6,777 posts, read 12,666,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Honestly no joke I really do.
I'm sure they appreciate you showing them what the "normal English language" sounds like.

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they appreciate you showing them what the "normal English language" sounds like.

Hehe im sure they do, we will slowly get the southern accent outta the Charlotte people in the coming years(although in a few years I will be back in Cali)

Old 08-01-2009, 05:33 PM

34 posts, read 88,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If you want to move to charlotte come on. Just BRING PLENTY OF CASH AND BE ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE.. Dont complain about anything here untill you have lived here for several years and if you are looking to find work GOOD LUCK.you are last in line.
Thanks but no thanks pretty soon Charlotte and it's surrounding areas are going to be just like the north... In these bad economic times everyone is last in line unless you got a connection by either a relative, or having relations with someone And you know what I mean by relations just kidding on that last comment... I'll stay where I can start off earning $18 an hour with a high school diploma, where those down there are lucky to earn that amount with a Bachelors Degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: