U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM

171 posts, read 237,227 times

Advertisements

I want to hear what happened to the zombies. dont waste a good match yet.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM

34 posts, read 88,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Are you kidding? I said Charlotte, not North Carolina and I was poking fun at a topic that had to have been made in jest. No serious person who has a clue would make a post like that. I don't think I need to read about history, but considering what you said, I think you might want to read up a bit about this yourself. Your post about faking a Southern accent made me laugh because nobody would do this. Anyone who knows something about dialects knows that a southern accent is more than adding "y'all" to very sentence.

Oh about being respectful. I believe it was you who started this topic concerning how you were tired of people moving here because they were ruining Charlotte and thus didn't meet your approval. Where is the respect in that?

I never stated "I" was tired of people moving to the Charlotte/NC region. I was just posting what I was told by individuals who would rather remain anonymous their views of "out of towners" coming to their areas wanting to snag up all of "their" jobs creating competition/ people from other regions such as the North/West parts of the US who has went to the Charlotte/other NC, SC, GA areas informed me that they discriminated against when they spoke their normal dialect are faking an accent to sound as like they are originally from the south... I don't agree with that theory since it's like covering up one lie with another lie... I have no problem with anyone moving to a different area to make a fresh start. I posted this thread to inform others of what is happening between some of the locals and the "transplants" (As described in other posts) point of views which I feel should be "Changed" As our President says "The focus should be on Change we can believe in"... This country has come too far to resort in calling someone "Yankee" to identify someone who's from the north, (Which I've read in some posts in this forum) or another epithet to describe someone who's from the south... With all due respect

Old 08-02-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
OP--- On one hand I'm uncomfortable that you would like to represent yourself as a voice of the North. But I know enough about the intelligence level of the people on board to know they are treating you as a poster with a crack pipe in your hands.

On the other hand I am delighted to know that you are at least thinking about moving out of the NE area.
Whew! One down, a gazzilion to go.

OK folks, she's all yours. Not on my watch any longer.
I'm not representing myself as from any specific region... I have NO problem in anyone relocating to make a fresh start in their lives; However I think some views that have been anonymously expressed to me by some people from the south and the north should be changed because there is a problem (Please look at some of the previous posts) where you would see name calling, etc... I always believe in respecting one another...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Friendly!!!!!!!!!LOL

I couldn't agree with you more.... This is America "The Land of The Free, And The Home of The Brave... By the way I'm not from the south and I would rather accept southern hospitality than crudeness that I've seen in other areas of the US Any day...

Old 08-02-2009, 10:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,466,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
I would have to defer to the Queen here. Yes, many Americans cannot understand the dialects spoken in many of the areas of the UK, but, since the Queen is the leader of the country, I would suggest that her English is the most proper and correct.
So you believe that British royality is the standard that Americans should strive for when speaking English? Given the history of the United States, especially in how it rejected the idea of inherited nobles running everything, would not make any sense for us. What is standard and correct for us was defined by Webster, not Oxford.

BTW, only about 2% of the British speak the pure form of the Queen's English, which is also known as Received Pronunciation. An American speaking this way would be as funny as the women mentioned in the OP trying to fake a southern accent.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:20 AM

422 posts, read 1,281,398 times
I think you're all nuts and need to stop posting stupid threads like this.

I am from Boston and I can not imagine having a hissy fit about all the folks from other parts of the world moving there.. can you imagine??

Move where you want to move. Who really gives a S&^T!

And I'm sorry, but I'd love to meet the Northerner's who fake there Southern accent just to fit in..... give me a break!!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM

7,126 posts, read 10,575,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
I think you're all nuts and need to stop posting stupid threads like this.

I am from Boston and I can not imagine having a hissy fit about all the folks from other parts of the world moving there.. can you imagine??

And I'm sorry, but I'd love to meet the Northerner's who fake there Southern accent just to fit in..... give me a break!!!!!
Seconded.

And we respond, ME INCLUDED, to it.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:31 AM

716 posts, read 1,432,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post

Right on

Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,686,067 times
I haven't made one of these in a while...

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,807,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteCharlotte View Post
Oh no, the kind of english I am talking about is the easy to understand english. Its the kind of english you hear from the local news anchors. I always wondered why southerners arent hired as news anchors? Has anyone else noticed this too?
Cleveland is that you??? I think it might be...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: