Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 AM

10 posts, read 17,923 times

Advertisements

I'm being relocated to Charlotte and have been looking at horse properties in Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw areas. I looked at a house on Red Bud Trail in Waxhaw that is listed for sale and rent by a motivated owner.

Upon arriving at the home I was very disturbed to hear extremely loud gun fire in very close proximity. I'm unsure whether this shooting was coming from a neighbor that was just taking target practice on their own property or if there is a shooting range close by. I was at the property for about an hour and the gun fire never stopped. The gun fire was so loud it seemed like it had to be high powered rifles or something.

Does anyone know if there is a shooting range close by this neighborhood. I googled and found one 2.5 miles away, but it seemed like it was closer proximity than this.

If it is a shooting range, I can't imagine how anyone in the area could deal with this and how it would not affect home values... I'm also thinking that if the shooting range 2.5 miles away is the source, it is likely to be an issue for many neighborhoods up to 3-5 or more miles away....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 08:14 AM

285 posts, read 800,546 times
i've heard it over by the back end of Cureton. It is pretty loud. are you looking at 9023. it looked nice

Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM

10 posts, read 17,923 times
Thanks for the reply. Yes - it was 9023 and we were looking as a rental option. We keep waivering back and forth on buying vs. renting/leasing. The house doesn't compare well to others available in the area for the price range as a purchase. The shooting range issue is a deal killer either way...

Old 07-24-2009, 10:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DECH View Post
I'm being relocated to Charlotte and have been looking at horse properties in Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw areas. I looked at a house on Red Bud Trail in Waxhaw that is listed for sale and rent by a motivated owner.

Upon arriving at the home I was very disturbed to hear extremely loud gun fire in very close proximity. I'm unsure whether this shooting was coming from a neighbor that was just taking target practice on their own property or if there is a shooting range close by. I was at the property for about an hour and the gun fire never stopped. The gun fire was so loud it seemed like it had to be high powered rifles or something.

Does anyone know if there is a shooting range close by this neighborhood. I googled and found one 2.5 miles away, but it seemed like it was closer proximity than this.

If it is a shooting range, I can't imagine how anyone in the area could deal with this and how it would not affect home values... I'm also thinking that if the shooting range 2.5 miles away is the source, it is likely to be an issue for many neighborhoods up to 3-5 or more miles away....
It's been there a long time - most are just used to it.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:19 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,604 times
I live less then 2 miles as the crow flies from the Charlotte Rifle and pistol club and I never really hear them. Sometimes there is a faint sound in the distance but that is it for me. They are allowed to shoot high powered riffles which I have never liked with the amount of people near. There is still some poeple with land in the area who maybe shooting also. Good luck on your hunt. You will love the area.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:04 AM

21 posts, read 59,076 times
The 2.5 miles is by car. The gun club is much closer as the crow flies. You may want to inquire about the hours/days at the club. If that wont work for you look elsewhere. The gun club has been there many years but I'm sure new homeowners in the area will cry and cry until it moves. Does anyone remember shuffletown?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:59 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idnmadt View Post
The 2.5 miles is by car. The gun club is much closer as the crow flies. You may want to inquire about the hours/days at the club. If that wont work for you look elsewhere. The gun club has been there many years but I'm sure new homeowners in the area will cry and cry until it moves. Does anyone remember shuffletown?
I remember, Shuffletown was the same thing. Reminds me of the woman who marries a guy, then tries to change him.
If you don't like the rain, don't move to the tropics, if you don't like the cold stay the hell away from the Rockies. If you like wide open spaces, don't buy a condo. Lots of simple common sense rules, just can't seem to get the suckers to follow them.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:49 PM

293 posts, read 959,101 times
I live very close to the shooting range in Waxhaw and honestly, it does not bother me in the least. I think in time, one just tunes it out. I never hear it in the house. My neighbors never complain about it either.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 PM

148 posts, read 563,036 times
My wife and I relocated our family here from NY last year and looked in the same areas you are now looking. We settled in Waxhaw and are very happy here. We live in Lawson, off of Cuthbertson, and can here the shooting range at times. Honestly, like others have mentioned we hardly notice it at all anymore. The house you are looking at is very nice. Can you rent on a short term lease and see if you like it ? That way you can look around in other areas if your not happy. Best of luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte