Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Everyone's insurance across the state is gonna go up, and no one is sure how much right now. The NC Legislature is working on several bills, and who knows what the final regs will include. However, there is no doubt about it . . . everyone's homeowner insurance is going up - all across the state, to pick up the costs of replacing damaged beach property.

It had to happen, as this is what has occurred with insurance in other coastal states heavily hit by hurricane damage in the past.

Frankly, those $1M and up McMansions on the beach should have never been constructed and I don't appreciate my rates going up b/c of the conspicuous consumerism which has been rampant from Duck to Southport. And what is even more infuriating, many of these beachfront homeowners are not even residents of this state. But their over-building is gonna cost us all.

All Homeowners To Foot Coastal Insurance Losses Under Proposed Plan - News- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32013939/ns/local_news-winstonsalem_nc/ - broken link)

GREENSBORO - WXII12.com

Excerpt:

You may not own a home on the North Carolina coast, but state lawmakers think you should help insure beachfront homes from the next major storm.

Supporters of the "Beach Plan" said neither the insurance industry nor North Carolina homeowners can afford the present system.

Forsyth County Republican Dale Folwell said the exposure insurance companies face on the coast has forced some of them to consider leaving the state altogether. Two companies have already pulled out of the state citing the unlimited liability they face under the current law.

The plan has already passed the State House and is soon to be debated in the Senate.

Under the plan, if a major hurricane does hit the coast, homeowners across the state will pay a 10 percent surcharge on their annual insurance premiums to bail the state-created program.

The plan would cap losses paid by the insurance industry at $1 billion. Currently there’s no cap on damages in North Carolina

NC Senate OK sets up hurricane insurance plan fix - Politics - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/1635051.html - broken link)

"The Beach Plan affects the entire homeowners insurance market in North Carolina," state Insurance Department lobbyist Rose Vaughn Williams told senators. "It's not just mansions in the sand."
**** <snip>
"It's the number one issue in my county," said Sen. Harry Brown, R-Onslow. He said the insurance for his $450,000 home in Jacksonville, about 10 miles from the coast, had jumped from $1,200 annually to more than $3,700 in about four years.

Homeowners in rural communities farther inland in his county have been hit with the same sharp rate increases as more affluent beach-front communities, Brown said.

"A lot of them are not going to be able to renew their policies," he said.

But lawmakers from outside the coastal zone have gotten an earful from constituents angry about the chance they might someday bear the cost of making whole the people lucky enough to live near the shore. *

(My note)

A sizeable portion of these McMansions are retirees who moved to this state to take advantage of the lower taxes. Thanks a lot, guys!!!! And another large % are absentee second-home owners, who get rental income off these 7 bedrooms houses. I am sorry. The municipalities who were stupid enough to allow this type of over-building in weather-vulnerable beach areas should be fired - something I have been saying since this outrageous practice started in the late 80s and became rampant over the last 15 years. Not only has this been damaging to many sensitive eco-systems in our coastal regions, now these McMansions on the Beach are gonna cost the rest of us.

Maybe the thing to do is put a caveat into the insurance bill that would provide coverage ONCE and refuse to cover any of these homes with value over $1M. If they get washed away once . . . then they just wouldn't be built back again. I say - GOOD RIDDANCE. Better for the environment; better for the residents of this entire state!!!

Last edited by brokensky; 08-09-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:51 AM

540 posts, read 1,706,703 times
GRRRRREEEEAAAAT!!! . That's Why I moved from Florida...outrageous homesowners insurance...if people on the damn coast want their homes, and insurance, let them pay for themselves - this blows!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:57 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,043,276 times
this is to counteract the lower car insurance, I am sure.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM

148 posts, read 423,767 times
"Am I my brother's keeper" OR " Am I paying for other's sins"
But
This can only happen here!!!

Old 08-09-2009, 08:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
These clowns haven't heard of beach tag fees to pay for community problems on the coast? Oh, yeah, they have. That would be why, from January to July nearly every commercial break that runs on the Philly stations includes NC tourism ads touting "our free beaches".

As for the houses, if you have the big bucks to buy a million dollar house, you have the money to pay the insurance hike when you build it in a stupid place.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Who do we contact to tell them we think this plan is not what we would expect from our elected officials? If they vote for this I won't be electing them in the future. We all should take the same stand.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
Sheesh! What a bad idea. We are facing higher school taxes out here to pay for a district that split in half b/c the richer east side didn't want to be associated w/the poorer west side. Now we all get to help out the west side, just as you are all going to "help" out the rich coastal owners. It ain't right!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:53 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Who do we contact to tell them we think this plan is not what we would expect from our elected officials? If they vote for this I won't be electing them in the future. We all should take the same stand.

While you're talking to the NC leaders tell them we haven't yet digested the 2-3% increase in income tax (I haven't checked but I bet we are in the top 5 highest taxed states) and 1% increase in sales tax that' already a done deal

Old 08-09-2009, 11:19 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
The bill is the result of our wise leaders trying to figure out how to keep more insurance carriers from refusing to even insure in our state! I am so angry at the idiot city planners in coastal counties who allowed these monstrosities to be built in the first place.

Something has to be done or carriers are gonna pull out of the state - leaving many of us all over the state without an insurance carrier when policy renewal time comes.

Old 08-09-2009, 05:47 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
"It's the number one issue in my county," said Sen. Harry Brown, R-Onslow. He said the insurance for his $450,000 home in Jacksonville, about 10 miles from the coast, had jumped from $1,200 annually to more than $3,700 in about four years.
Hmmmm....I wonder what guys like this said when gas was >$4 per gallon and folks with $36,000 SUV's were complaining about how much it cost to fill up? Personally, I have a hard time drumming up sympathy for either of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte