Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 11,313,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I was clocked at 16mph over as well in June, went to court last week.

-SNIP-

we were all reduced to 5 over the limit, paid our fines and walked away. I was done at 9:18 am.
Exactly.
It is not about safety.
It is about filling the public coffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
In NC the law states this....
GS: 20-141(j1) - A person who drives a vehicle on a highway at a speed that is either more than 15 miles per hour more than the speed limit established by law for the highway where the offense occurred or over 80 miles per hour is guilty of a Class 2 misdemeanor.
I have never ever heard of this actually happening to anyone and I have lived here my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM

55 posts, read 193,130 times
I got a ticket in Gaston Cty 2 years ago on I-85 for going 18 mph over the posted limit if I remember correctly. When I read that anything over 15 meant a court date and suspended license I kind of freaked. I went to the courthouse on the date, it was pretty much like the previous poster described when they just divide you up into lines. This wasn't my first ticket ever, but first in a while and in NC. I told the DA when it was my turn that I wasn't trying to get out of paying the ticket, I just didn't want to lose my license over it. I don't think he even heard a word, he was already writing on the ticket. He handed it back to me, told me how much the fine was, reduced it to 14 mph over the speed limit, and sent me on my way.

Go to court and you'll be just fine without a lawyer.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:31 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Be careful, this procedure differs from county to county in NC. We used to have an Asst. DA line that allowed you to plead down your case and avoid the court date. It is no longer offered. Call the county office of the DA and check to see what's available in your area.
I believe the OP said the ticket was in Mecklenburg county, so was mine, hence my recommendation.

Last edited by joanchris2000; 08-13-2009 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-13-2009, 01:12 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,038,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I believe the OP said the ticket was in Mecklenburg county, so was mine, hence my recommendation.
I just need to learn to read..... Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte