Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 08:07 PM

8 posts, read 36,949 times

Advertisements

I was laid off a few months ago and am receiving unemployment benefits. I finally have a great job lead, but the downside is that it's a contract position to start. If I'm not offered full-time employment at the end of my two month contract, I want to be sure I can pick up my unemployment benefits again. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this or knows something about it. I would not want to accept this job if there's a chance I won't have any source of income after the two months. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:19 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,518 times
yep, earlier in the year took a contract position that only lasted 3 months. I picked up right where I left off.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 AM

Great news! I've been finding that more and more employers are trending towards hiring contract positions to start. Less of an investment for them because they don't have to pay for health insurance, etc., but it stinks for people who just want the stability of a permanent job.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:03 AM

45 posts, read 170,797 times
I had the same experience, I was collecting unemployment and then got a 4 mth contract job. During the 4 months I worked I continued to file each week, but when asked the question "did you do any work" I answered yes and then put in the amount I earned. Of course, I didn't get any $$ from unempoyment for those 4 months, but it kept my claim active and then when my contract job ended I said "no" when asked if I had worked and my unemployment started right back up. It's CRITICAL that you keep filing (even when working), otherwise your claim will go inactive and you will have to start all over.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:51 AM

1 posts, read 7,754 times
Default cobra ? what happens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlingrlclt View Post
yep, earlier in the year took a contract position that only lasted 3 months. I picked up right where I left off.
Thats a good thing but what about if you are getting cobra from your previous employer? Do you lose it?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:02 AM

33 posts, read 188,121 times
Default unemployment

Hi kirssmarie - I'm what's known as a "Certified Personnel Consultant" and have been managing an executive search/staffing firm for 22 years (now based in Charlotte, originally from New Jersey).

I suggest taking the position. Any experience is better than sitting around not working. Your work ethic will be viewed as more appealing to prospective employers - rather than having taken the choice of sitting around just collecting. You can also continue your search while working.

As for unemployment, you should be able to pick up right back where you left off. Since there are subtle differences from state to state (I was on the New Jersey Department of Labor Advisory Council and therefore more familiar with NJ) you might want to just ask.

Working, even on contract ... is far better than not working.

You make friends, acquaintences, valuable contacts, all while getting paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissmarie View Post
I was laid off a few months ago and am receiving unemployment benefits. I finally have a great job lead, but the downside is that it's a contract position to start. If I'm not offered full-time employment at the end of my two month contract, I want to be sure I can pick up my unemployment benefits again. I would love to hear from anyone who has been through this or knows something about it. I would not want to accept this job if there's a chance I won't have any source of income after the two months. Thanks!!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:01 AM

Default Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwoodwa View Post
Thats a good thing but what about if you are getting cobra from your previous employer? Do you lose it?
I checked with my previous employer, and I am able to stay on my cobra for nine months from the date of termination - or until I am eligible for new coverage. I made sure of this before accepting the position. It actually worked out pretty well. I'm paying even less for my premium on cobra than when I was employed and I'm on the exact same plan.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 AM

iresfrank - thanks for the advice. I actually did accept the position. It turns out I'm not making much more money than what I was making on unemployment, but the experience is invaluable. I couldn't pass it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: