Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:14 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,803 times

Advertisements

Take the 78 to 81 to 77 route. That is how I go to Long Island on my trips. I pulled a full trailer with my explorer with no issues. As for leaving I use to leave both here an NY at 5:00 am but lately have been leaving at 3:30 am and drive straight thru.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:08 PM

123 posts, read 328,759 times
I also did this move from NY renting a Penske truck. Penski was kind enough to give me the truck one day earlier than contracted for (at no cost), that way I could just wake up and drive. I would ask them if you could take the truck early. I would also allow for more than 12 hours. You need to take the truck rout out of NY and stop for gas quite a few times along the way. I left at about 3:00 am to avoid NY traffic and arrived in Waxhaw at about 6:00 pm. Also, when your gas tank starts to go under 1/2, consider filling up, there are some long breaks between gas stations at times once you hit Virginia. Good luck on your move, and welcome to NC!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
If you are more comfortable w/95/85, take the route of your choice to 295 around Trenton or Bordentown. Take 295 south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge (toll) & go south on 95. You'll pay the toll in DE but miss the toll southbound in MD.

Take the Harbor Tunnel (toll, & worth every penny of it) in Baltimore & aim to stay on I95 South. This lets you avoid the Baltimore Beltway & the Capital Beltway. The worst part of the whole drive is Alexandria. However, the traffic flows because of the Express lanes. I had to go up to South Jersey for a funeral last month & I just happened to hit Alexandria at 7 pm (the end of rush hour) & the traffic flow was fine.

After the Harbor Tunnel, do not take the alternative routes, only I95 south. I made that mistake one time. There is a rest stop at Laurel MD on I 95. Be certain to stop there. The night that I came back no rest stops were open in VA. //www.city-data.com/forum/virgi...s-closing.html

Try to time gassing up for NJ, DE, & VA. Maryland is more expensive. Hope this helps.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:23 AM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
+1 LoL!

I drove from Maine to CLT Friday night and I'm the only one that ever got out of the car, and that was just to fill the tank.
LOL!

You and me both on Friday, 'cept I was coming from Toledo. My civic gets awesome gas mileage, left with a full tank, filled up in Beckley, and arrived by 6am.

To the OP: If you're ok with driving straight through, I highly suggest leaving at 1-2am and arriving in the afternoon. You never, ever know what problems you might encounter either along the way or upon arrival. If you have doubts about the drive (driving a box truck will make you more weary than a car), then definitely do a layoff so you can stay alert.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
I too would allow for more than 12 hours. The people that are suggesting you can do it in less are not driving a Penske truck towing a car! It may well take you a couple of hours just to clear the NY metro area.

You will definitely "feel" the hills towing a car. Your biggest problem will be going downhill, you will pick up speed very quickly so take it easy!

Another thing - Virginia has closed most of their rest areas due to budget cuts. They may have kept the welcome area open immediately as you enter the state but I would not count on seeing any more rest areas after this. Good Luck!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:18 PM

2,947 posts, read 7,021,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGISLAND2NC View Post
Another thing - Virginia has closed most of their rest areas due to budget cuts. They may have kept the welcome area open immediately as you enter the state but I would not count on seeing any more rest areas after this. Good Luck!
The welcome areas on 77 are open. Wyetheville is about midpoint on 77 and there are several truck stops along that stretch, BUT the traffic around the truck stops is a little crazy. If you're towing a trailer, be careful. The gas is cheaper there thane either WV or NC but a good $.20-30/gal .. good spot to plan a fill up for a moving truck, you'll save some money.

Old 08-13-2009, 12:36 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
I once did FL -> NYC (morristown, nj, close enough) load the truck -> FL unload the truck -> NYC in 6 days with Penske, which is what they allotted. Around 3300 miles.

You will have plenty of time with your rental truck unless you get it 3 days before you go.

Truck rental from NYC - > FL was $3000 and from FL -> NYC it was $250 so it saved a ton.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:00 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,730 times
Also - have you looked into professional movers? We decided to get a quote and were shocked at how cheap it was. Once we factored in truck rental, gas, tolls, etc - the movers were not much more expensive. And they do all the loading and unloading for you!

Old 08-13-2009, 01:22 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,221,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhoney View Post
My suggestion would be to rent the truck one morning and fill it up. You can leave in the early afternoon after you've filled it up and eaten your last lunch in NY. Drive as far as you care to (hopefully within a couple hours of Charlotte, maybe when you cross into NC) and stay overnight in a hotel with a well-lit parking lot so no one steals all your belongings. Wake up early, drive the rest of the way to Charlotte, and unpack and return the truck before the rental place closes.
This is what I would do. Most one way rentals allow for next day delivery with no extra charge.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:47 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
This is what I would do. Most one way rentals allow for next day delivery with no extra charge.
One way rentals give an allowance depending on the distance. In this case it's 4 days (NY -> NC). He can get the truck the day before and pack. Then take two days to drive. And another day to unpack if he wanted to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte