Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 07:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,493,300 times

Advertisements

I think I figured out WHY they charge me $195 up front and then $10/mo for 10 months befrore the machine becomes *mine.* I have to check in with them and if the card I bring in shows I am not using it, they take it back.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
You all are making me nervous. I go to pick up my CPAP on Tuesday. They already told me I need to pay (after insurance) $195 plus $10/mo for 10 months and then it is "mine." I asked what the point of $10/mo was and if I could just pay the extra $100 up front, making it $295 for the machine. They said that they have found too many people don't end up using it and if they put me on a payment plan "rent to own" type, I can return it if I want to. Um, no, for $10/mo I will keep it and sell if I need to, but I won't because I need it. I slept better with it at my sleep study.

So, when I go in Tue to pick it up, what do I need to ask to ensure I don't get another $600 bill????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,841,371 times
I had another study done a few years after the first when my DD told me I was snoring again. Had to go up on the setting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
I had another study done a few years after the first when my DD told me I was snoring again. Had to go up on the setting.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
When buying a new machine I recommend asking for an Auto CPAP. This allows the doctor to write a prescription for a range and the machine adjusts automatically. Also if you have a machine that lets you do reports and it shows you stuck on one extreme end of the range then you know you've got to go back.

Going through a sleep study to get your number adjusted is uncomfortable and you're stuck with a number from that one night. Hopefully that works but an auto CPAP goes a long way to prevent that and to adjust to your sleep needs. They aren't that much expensive but the blasted doctors are stuck in their ways and don't suggest them. This angers me because this therapy is so hard to begin with this one feature could really help people stay on CPAP.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:29 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Three comments:
1) I have used a CPAP every night (and many naps) since 1987. I actually could not sleep last fall when we lost power, and I did not have a charged battery.

2) Used to work in medical admin/claims paying. Without a doubt DME vendors are the sleaze bags of all the bloodsuckers that have their palm out for your medical related dollar. I have had much better luck with online CPAP vendors than with the local DME'ers.

3) There are hacks on the internet that instruct you on how to adjust your cpap without having to go back to the DME. Use them.

Good luck to all.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:16 PM

Interesting.

I had actually considered just buying a used machine and figuring out how to adjust it myself but since my insurance paid, I went that route. I didn't NEED a darn sleep study to know I needed a CPAP. I just have been putting it off for a few years.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Three comments:
1) I have used a CPAP every night (and many naps) since 1987. I actually could not sleep last fall when we lost power, and I did not have a charged battery.

2) Used to work in medical admin/claims paying. Without a doubt DME vendors are the sleaze bags of all the bloodsuckers that have their palm out for your medical related dollar. I have had much better luck with online CPAP vendors than with the local DME'ers.

3) There are hacks on the internet that instruct you on how to adjust your cpap without having to go back to the DME. Use them.

Good luck to all.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Interesting.

I had actually considered just buying a used machine and figuring out how to adjust it myself but since my insurance paid, I went that route. I didn't NEED a darn sleep study to know I needed a CPAP. I just have been putting it off for a few years.

Dawn
You might not need the study to know you need CPAP but a sleep study is still important to get a baseline setting for the machine. Going in blind no telling what would happen. My apnea went from mild a few years ago to severe now. If I would have dialed in the old numbers no telling what would have happened.

That said, they really need to start using the at home testing with comfortable gear. I get some of my worse "sleep" at a sleep study. They are horrid.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:45 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
You all are making me nervous. I go to pick up my CPAP on Tuesday. They already told me I need to pay (after insurance) $195 plus $10/mo for 10 months and then it is "mine." I asked what the point of $10/mo was and if I could just pay the extra $100 up front, making it $295 for the machine. They said that they have found too many people don't end up using it and if they put me on a payment plan "rent to own" type, I can return it if I want to. Um, no, for $10/mo I will keep it and sell if I need to, but I won't because I need it. I slept better with it at my sleep study.

So, when I go in Tue to pick it up, what do I need to ask to ensure I don't get another $600 bill????
Sent you a DM. In my case, I paid close to $300 upfront, which was my estimated co-pay for purchase. Then the company converted it to a rental without telling me. I have a bill of sale, but they are denying I purchased it. Yep. the bills for rental are now at over $600 (on top of what I already paid).

Let us know how you make out. These DMEs can pull some fast ones behind the scenes.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM

I picked up my machine today. I drove them nuts by asking again and again about the rent to own deal. I asked lots of questions and made sure it was MY machine after 10 months. They assured me several times that this is typical of insurance because they want to make SURE you will use it.

So, the 10 months of "rental" is so that they can monitor and take it back if you aren't using it.

The "rental agreement" says insurance pays $56 or something per month, of which I pay $8.50. Insurance covered 100% of the humidifier, face mask and appointment. I paid $195 co-pay and $8.50/mo for 10 months.

I will call insurance just to be sure.

Dawn

Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Used to work in medical admin/claims paying. Without a doubt DME vendors are the sleaze bags of all the bloodsuckers that have their palm out for your medical related dollar. I have had much better luck with online CPAP vendors than with the local DME'ers.
Good luck to all.
I've had a chance to see the sleaze side of this business, a side I did not expect.

For anyone in NC, the NCSHIIP office is an excellent resource if you encounter problems with your DME (or any other medical insurance issue that you need assistance in resolving).

SHIIP stands for Seniors' Health Insurance Information Program and these people are excellent! Do NOT hesitate to contact them if you are unable to resolve an issue, or don't know where to turn. Send me a dm if you need the direct line to them.

I suspect most states have a similar program.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:01 PM

12 posts, read 20,511 times
I have been using a CPAP since 2001. Love it, would not travel without it. Mine is universal voltage and very compact, works overseas too. This is the second machine and better gel mask. Earlier one was bulkier, noisier and hard plastic over the nose mask. Wouldn't work with 240 V. But still loved it and never once slept without CPAP since 2001. The new mask is in-the-nostril gel tube mask. Love it. Sleep like an angel. Without the machine I immediately snore. I should lose some weight but hey I need good sleep right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte