Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 01:41 PM

15,220 posts, read 10,318,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art434 View Post
I have been using a CPAP since 2001. Love it, would not travel without it. Mine is universal voltage and very compact, works overseas too. This is the second machine and better gel mask. Earlier one was bulkier, noisier and hard plastic over the nose mask. Wouldn't work with 240 V. But still loved it and never once slept without CPAP since 2001. The new mask is in-the-nostril gel tube mask. Love it. Sleep like an angel. Without the machine I immediately snore. I should lose some weight but hey I need good sleep right now!

Someone suggested I try the in the nostril type as I hate the mask and never use it. However, I have sinus issues and my nose is stuffy sometimes. Do these still work if you have a tendency to be stuffed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 07:26 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Someone suggested I try the in the nostril type as I hate the mask and never use it. However, I have sinus issues and my nose is stuffy sometimes. Do these still work if you have a tendency to be stuffed up?
If nose is blocked neti pot before going to bed, works wonders.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:31 AM

274 posts, read 252,837 times
I've been using one for 12 years. I think it's life-changing for me. I'm much better rested! I feel like crap if I can't use it, when I have a head cold or if the electric is out. My first night felt weird and I could only wear it for about four hours. The second night I slept right through and felt great! Been like that ever since.

If you feel you aren't getting used to it, try a different mask. There are many different styles.

My wife has mild apnea; couldn't tolerate the machine at all, and didn't like the "jaw straightener" mouth guard-like thing that some people use, either.

Keep trying, and good luck.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
It's very important to use the mask in whatever form works best for you -- but don't NOT use something.
Sleep apnea not only disturbs your sleep and the quality of sleep, but is a factor in several severe health conditions. It can even be fatal in some people.

Look up dangers of sleep apnea.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:43 AM

274 posts, read 252,837 times
+1 with southward bound. After my 10-year sleep study the doc said that without the machine my blood oxygen gets low enough to cause progressive heart and brain damage. So my life really DOES depend on it.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:53 AM

162 posts, read 154,075 times
I know there's a small vent in the nosepiece for Exhaled carbon dioxide, but don't CPAP users still breathe in a larger amount of CO2 than is normal?

Old 07-19-2016, 03:21 PM

468 posts, read 827,239 times
The constant positive pressure blows whatever is exhaled out of the vent.

Same thing like a firefighters positive pressure mask.

Old 07-19-2016, 04:45 PM

162 posts, read 154,075 times
Thanks!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times
Just tried a new type semi-nasal, semi mask deal. Seemed great in DME office, but turns out, I am a side sleeper and it just did not work for me, in real life. Turned it back in for a more traditional, yet smaller mask. If I slept on my back, it would be the "cat's meow!"

It is pretty sad, that I notice over the time I have spent in CPAPS how the hose fittings and mask straps change over time, I can only suppose to make you upgrade rather than replace.

Having said that, anyone with evidence they might have sleep apnea needs to "cowboy up" and get on board. Your sleep and life will improve to a degree you cannot imagine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte