Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 8,583 times

Advertisements

hi, i'm thinking about moving to charlotte (visiting may8-10), i've recently been accepted to uncc and would love some information about the school and the surrounding areas. art and music are big facets in my life so i've been browsing some sites for cool museums/galleries and music venues. anyone have an opinion on noda or mint? is there any fun clubs, galleries, outdoor activites, etc. i'm not going to find info about on the net? any info is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 10:34 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar1 View Post
hi, i'm thinking about moving to charlotte (visiting may8-10), i've recently been accepted to uncc and would love some information about the school and the surrounding areas. art and music are big facets in my life so i've been browsing some sites for cool museums/galleries and music venues. anyone have an opinion on noda or mint? is there any fun clubs, galleries, outdoor activites, etc. i'm not going to find info about on the net? any info is greatly appreciated!
Do you mind if I ask if you are male or female? Personally I would not advise living in NoDa to a single female. Not even sure you could find anything you could afford there anyway. It is a "transitioning" area and not the safest place in Charlotte, but because of the real estate speculation occuring there even tiny shacks are selling for way too much money. And while a major regentrification is going on there, I think it is about 10 years from being someplace I would live. However, if you would like more info on the area there is a website promoting NoDa and its neighbor, Plaza-Midwood on the internet. Just google NoDa, Charlotte NC and I bet you will find it. NoDa can be a fun place for live music, even a drum circle, and gallary crawls. But travel in a group to and from at night okay?

If you are not interested in living near campus and want more of an urban life, just safer than NoDa, consider looking to rent in either Elizabeth or Chantilly. Not that these places are 100 % safe either, just safer. But after all, we are a big city now so every person must remember with that has come higher crime. In Elizabeth you would be even closer to uptown than NoDa. Uptown Charlotte has a lot going on for young people (or the young at heart!) and living in Elizabeth or Chantilly puts you about 5 minutes away from being in uptown. You would also have one of THE best places for live music in all of Charlotte in your neighborhood - The Visualite Theater. This neat place is right off the CPCC campus and the whole area is very walkable. There is even a Starbucks nearby

Hope some of this helps you. Perhaps others will have more to add soon

Old 04-26-2007, 04:10 PM

3 posts, read 8,583 times
i'm a twenty something female and possibly single (not sure if my bf is moving with me yet, long story) anyway, thanks for your reply, it does help! i didn't realize noda was kinda sketch?. i wasn't planning on moving in that area, i want a place closer to campus, so i can walk or ride my bike to class. i'm just looking for info about charlotte, i don't know much about the city. so anyone out there with feed back, please help!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:50 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstar1 View Post
For more info on NODA you can go to NODA.org. I like the area. I've done the gallery crawl thing once, and it was interesting. The places are free, you just walk in and they normally have wine and beer. The artist are there, of course, and you can talk to them about their pieces. It was a while ago when I went (over a year ago) but overall it was alright, very interesting. In general, IMO, NODA is more of an "entertainment district" as opposed to an arts district. But that's just my opinion. And its not a big area at all, very small. If you've been to areas like Little 5 Points in Atlanta, or Adams Morgan in DC or Deep Ellum in Dallas, please don't expect anything like that.

For outdoor activities we've got the new White Water Center. I don't know the exact web address, but if you do a Google search of "Charlotte White Water" you'll find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: