Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 07:13 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,786,692 times

Advertisements

My first appointment is in 2 weeks....My wife and I already know what we want to upgrade. Not much really except making the loft into a bedroom, upgrade the electric appliances to gas, instead of carpet downstairs we want hardwood floors...And thats about it, besides picking out carpet colors and wall colors for upstairs..

Now My question is, am I able to negotiate with them on the prices or not? Cause the house price was pretty much firm. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 07:25 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
You maybe able to. Give the design center person a hard time and see if she/he can "throw something in". In my experience all the negotiating is mainly done of the base price of the home.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:27 AM

I tried with the base price and nothing was able to be done. With my parents when they bought there new construction home in NJ, they were able to negotiate on the upgrades...But this being by KB a different builder, was curious if we can...

What part of the upgrades can be negotiated? How am I supposed to give them a hard time? Trying to follow.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:32 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,594 times
Like if you decide to upgrade the cabinets and then they tell you its $500 for the built in spice rack say somehting like man we just paid X amount for the cabinets you can't build that into the price of the cabinets. Become a salesperson yourself.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:40 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,841 times
Be prepared to do alot more upgrading when you get to the design center. My wife and I wanted to buy in St. Johns Forest but were really turned off after going to the design center and seeing what they considered upgrades. We were looking to only do such upgrades as you mentioned minus the bedroom and we added over $40,000 in upgrades. Some things you may not expect to be upgrades but are considered to be are paneled doors, non brass door knobs/hinges, smooth ceilings, decent light fixtures and faucets etc. etc. Just be prepared to spend somewhere around 30% more for your home.
As far as negotiating the prices I am not too sure on how much wiggle room they will give you as we did not get that far but they seemed pretty firm on thier pricing. Than again the girl who was helping us was real nasty. We really loved that community but after seeing what would have to be upgraded we decided to pass.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Oh i understand what you mean now...Yea I will have to see what I can do..

Old 04-26-2007, 07:44 AM

Well, If I end up with a B*tch I will walk out and drive to the community and ask for my check and look else where...My wife and I are firm on what we want. I did see what they are giving us with the house as standard. We dont want much more, KB is giving alot of standard things with the house...The options that we see, will be things that I will upgrade myself after we buy the house, I am handy with certain things. Both of us are excited to get this done.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 AM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
KB will let you walk around the studio without an appointment, this may be a good idea, we did it as we nearly bought KB.

Keeping upgrades to a bare minimum we where looking at 15K and I mean the bare minimum on a 170K house average is around 25K (that figure was from KB)

Old 04-26-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
KB will let you walk around the studio without an appointment, this may be a good idea, we did it as we nearly bought KB.

Keeping upgrades to a bare minimum we where looking at 15K and I mean the bare minimum on a 170K house average is around 25K (that figure was from KB)
Thats what we figured...But there are only certain things we will upgrade, and the rest is fine..We are looking at it this way, that this is a step better than we are here in NJ, so we will be happy with the base options.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:49 AM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Default studio

Uhmm I agree you are going to upgrade a lot more then you thought...like the interior doors..if you want panels. Expect to be there for the better part of the day. When we first went through they told us we would spend at least $20,000. We didn't pick anything crazy and we still ended up tacking on $40,000 more. This was about 6 months ago.

They will not negotiate with you but our sales woman sucked so they compensated us for that. The girl we dealt with got fired after our episode. We were in there last week and everyone seemed nice...I think they are trying to make the experience better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: