Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 25,630 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me their experience or opinion about sending my 9th grader to Pine Lake Prep vs Lake Norman High School?

He just got accepted to PLP but I have read some bad reviews about the school. I have also heard some negative things about LKN high also.

My concerns are not with the commute, but rather the education and staff, curriculum etc..

We have only lived here a short time, I am not familiar with each as maybe some other locals.

Thanks in advance for any input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 05:48 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
I know very little about PLP other than they've been in the current building / campus for one school year.

(And on a personal note, the number of cars bringing kids to school just kills my commute in the mornings! They don't have bus service.)

I'm not able to discuss / compare educations vs. LNHS.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,943 times
umm pinelake sucks. i went to lake norman as a freshman, then was forced to go to plp. and now as a junior i am gonna transfer to lakenorman for my senior year. teachers and school size is great. the way they function isn't. the teachers and the students never know whats going on or why. alot of things seem pointless. the students are stuck up and the school is not put together. things are falling apart and there is not enough teachers or class rooms and alot of teachers have been fired. most kids were forces so the students don't wanta be there.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:20 PM

108 posts, read 119,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakehater View Post
umm pinelake sucks. i went to lake norman as a freshman, then was forced to go to plp. and now as a junior i am gonna transfer to lakenorman for my senior year. teachers and school size is great. the way they function isn't. the teachers and the students never know whats going on or why. alot of things seem pointless. the students are stuck up and the school is not put together. things are falling apart and there is not enough teachers or class rooms and alot of teachers have been fired. most kids were forces so the students don't wanta be there.
So anotherwords, you weren't on the honor roll.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 8,374 times
Pine Lake Preparatory changed my life. I went to Lake Norman my freshman year, transfered to Pine Lake in my sophmore year and I am proud to say that I am go to be a senior. Pine Lake is a beginning school, yes of course there will be problems, however the staff/teachers are phenomenal. They really care about your student and their performance in the school. And yes the school's commuting does suck, but so does the commute to Lake Norman (brawley traffic). While some may hate Pine Lake it is because they are afraid to love it, afraid of what others think. Pine Lake is a place where one can really learn to be themselves, find their true passion, and find life long friends in a small family like community.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM

443 posts, read 1,257,652 times
I have a friend who moved her son from North Meck. High School to Pine Lake and she and he are very happy. I need to add, however, that he was a student who was not academically able to be placed in Honors or IB classes at North Meck and they found the behavior of the students in the standard/basic classes to be disruptive. Their goal was a school where the average to below average academic student could be in a classroom with few behaviour problems and decent teaching. She said they found that at Pine Lake. However, she said she would not send her other child (who is quite bright and needs to be challeged) to Pike Lake as she does not think it is a overly strong school for advanced students.

My thought? Take the spot at the charter school. If you find you/your son does not like it you can always move to your assigned public school next year or even mid year. But, if Pine Lake works for you, great.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:25 AM

1 posts, read 8,074 times
My experience is with the lower school and my daughter has been there right from the very first year, before they were on their campus. For a school that size, I think they have done a great job with the transition of being a new school. It seems that the people who do not like the upper school are mostly families with children who have behavior problems. Their curriculum is great and strong. If I were you I would call the school and ask about the curriculum, research it, and make your own decision. Also, I would take the spot and if you and your family don't like it, you can send your child to the other school at any given time. This is actually the 3rd year that they have been on campus, not the first year as somebody else mentioned.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 7,203 times
Pine lake prep is not a private school nor is it an academically gifted school. It is a charter school that anyone can put their name in the lottery to attend. Saying that your child "got in" simply means that your childs name was pulled. If you are looking for an academically superior experience in the area then try either Davidson Day School or Woodlawn School. If you can't afford tuition and want to risk the lottery try the IB school.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,550 times
Please do try Pine Lake it is actually a really amazing school if you ask me i may be a little late on reply but I really do love Pine Lake. Of course children are gonna be snobby on there first year I my self was but I gave Pine Lake a try and i don't regret it at all I love all the teachers there and the academic level is challenging but its a Prep school so of course it will be challenging but what im trying to say Lake Normal High doesn't challenge you and it is a big school ( meaning theres a lot of students there ) as for Pine Lake there is just the right amount of students. Some people love Pine Lake and some people don't which is a ashame because i been here since 4th grade and im in 8th grade now and yes im staying here till i graduate (:. Who cares if they don't have buses! the car rider line is worth the wait students can chill with there buddies or go ask a teacher for help if they need it. And it actually is kind of tough to get in you do know the wait list actually for 2013-2014 consists of 724 people trying to get in this school so dont miss out on the offer give it a try. Yes they have uniforms but they are actually pretty comfy if you ask me haha. In my opinion i think Lake Normal High sucks my brothers went there and all they did was complain about it on how big it is and that the teachers suck there. Then again if you hate both them just try Mooresville High or something idk lol. But people saying it's easy to get in Pine Lake maybe it is maybe not but my friend who was trying get in for 2 year's never did get in they dont go by your averages which is actually good if you ask me incase you were doing bad in your past school. Did i say they play music as there bell system? And there field trips are really fun. So you can get your child out of the house for 3 days and just have the teachers deal with them for 3 days. Haha (:! But in overall i been at Pine Lake for almost 5 years and I love it! I dont regret going to Pine Lake at all I actually look forward to waking up in the morning and going to school I dont want to go to ANY other school (:! Trust me the teachers do care about how you're student is doing and will offer any help they can give as for me im in study hall because im failing spanish right now.. haha! and the 8th grade teachers are offering to do after school mandatory study hall to help any student with a 75 or lower in any class and they do homework in study hall in my opinion I think it actually helps and on Fridays in study hall oh man they are the best!!! !!
I know im to late to probably reply to you but this is for anyone whos thinking on going to Pine Lake GIVE IT A CHANCE! DO NOT MISS OUT ON IT IF YOU ARE PICKED! Since Pine Lake is getting good reviews now and is getting good scores on tests more people are trying to get into Pine Lake so if you get picked you should give it a chance all you have to do for other schools is register and then you are in but for Pine Lake the lottery is actually pretty tough..
I wish you the best of luck if you're trying to get into Pine Lake!!
~So give it a go if you hate it then go~

Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 PM

1 posts, read 5,193 times
Default Disappointed with Pine Lake Prep

We are new to the area and were happy when our children's names got pulled for the PLP lottery. All three attended and all three regretted it. The school does not provide the education that the kids need and the one who graduated from the school had quite a shock when they entered college because of the lack of preparation. The teachers don't teach, they rely on the kids to learn on their own. I observed a substantial amount of homework being assigned and a system whereby the upper school students were treated as children, having their homework checked each day. This is not a college prep environment. We were not able to understand why none of the teachers stay from one year to the next and it seemed like the good teachers never lasted more than a year. The attitude at the school is one of conceit and snobbery though as one person pointed out, all you do to get in is have your name drawn out of a hat. When I informed the school that one of my children would not be returning, the comment was made that they obviously could not cut it from an academic standpoint. This is a common attitude at the school and those with students attending PLP are made to feel like their kids are somehow privileged to attend. Not so, my kids did substantially better when they transferred to another charter school. I would not recommend PLP to anyone. Perhaps they will become better with age but right now they have so many problems that I feel a better education is available almost anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte