U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:29 AM

40 posts, read 89,017 times

Advertisements

Hello! First I just want to say I'm soooo thankful I found this forum. We have been thinking about a move to Charlotte and I couldn't find anything I wanted to know while researching the internet UNTIL I found this forum. So thanks to all of you who have been so helpful, especially to those who are moving/planning to move there.

Right now we live in WV. My home state is Maryland but cost of living is ridiculously high so that's how we came to move to WV. Our priorities have always been our boys (age 8 and 5) - and we think that my being a stay-at-home-mom is essential to their upbringing. So we're a 1 income family and my husband is a welder - so it's not even a huge 1 income at that! ...Anyway, he works hard and we get by.

A few months ago my husband's sister told us she's moving to Charlotte and it peaked our interest. After a lot of discussing and researching we decided it would be good for our little family. Most of my family still lives in MD and PA so that is the only thing that makes me want to stay - but there seem to be so many possibilities and opportunties in Charlotte. The idea of a fresh start and all that is very exciting.

We have an agent (recommended by my husband's sister), who has been sending us MLS #'s for homes down there and we've done our own looking, too. We just put our house on the market - so we'll see how that goes (in this market - you never know! )

We have sent out my husband's resume a few times but no bites. I mean, he's a welder though. Most welders don't have resumes. It's kind of weird to apply so formally... And I've read on this forum that without a Charlotte address you pretty much can't land a job. The idea of moving without one secured makes me sick to my stomach!

Anyway, our price range for our new home is going to be 90,000 - 110,000. (Not much, I know!) ... We have found a few we really like and I'd like opinions on the neighborhoods. (We're coming down mid-May to look around in person, also.)

I really tend to like homes in the 28215 zipcode. Particularly in Stewarts Crossing, Rocky Ridge and Kingstree.

There are a few that I find to be acceptable in 28269, like in Tracy Glenn and
Fairstone - but I don't like them nearly as much as 28215.

Our agent keeps sending us homes to look at in 28262, (Hemby Woods and Maple Ridge) - and I'm not real fond of them. (No offense to anyone - just not what I'm looking for.)

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about any of these developments - good or bad.

Thanks in advance! I plan to be on this board a lot in the coming months! You guys are awesome

Lopez
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2007, 12:13 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,366,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez View Post
Hello! First I just want to say I'm soooo thankful I found this forum. We have been thinking about a move to Charlotte and I couldn't find anything I wanted to know while researching the internet UNTIL I found this forum. So thanks to all of you who have been so helpful, especially to those who are moving/planning to move there.

Right now we live in WV. My home state is Maryland but cost of living is ridiculously high so that's how we came to move to WV. Our priorities have always been our boys (age 8 and 5) - and we think that my being a stay-at-home-mom is essential to their upbringing. So we're a 1 income family and my husband is a welder - so it's not even a huge 1 income at that! ...Anyway, he works hard and we get by.

A few months ago my husband's sister told us she's moving to Charlotte and it peaked our interest. After a lot of discussing and researching we decided it would be good for our little family. Most of my family still lives in MD and PA so that is the only thing that makes me want to stay - but there seem to be so many possibilities and opportunties in Charlotte. The idea of a fresh start and all that is very exciting.

We have an agent (recommended by my husband's sister), who has been sending us MLS #'s for homes down there and we've done our own looking, too. We just put our house on the market - so we'll see how that goes (in this market - you never know! )

We have sent out my husband's resume a few times but no bites. I mean, he's a welder though. Most welders don't have resumes. It's kind of weird to apply so formally... And I've read on this forum that without a Charlotte address you pretty much can't land a job. The idea of moving without one secured makes me sick to my stomach!

Anyway, our price range for our new home is going to be 90,000 - 110,000. (Not much, I know!) ... We have found a few we really like and I'd like opinions on the neighborhoods. (We're coming down mid-May to look around in person, also.)

I really tend to like homes in the 28215 zipcode. Particularly in Stewarts Crossing, Rocky Ridge and Kingstree.

Our agent keeps sending us homes to look at in 28262, (Hemby Woods and Maple Ridge) - and I'm not real fond of them. (No offense to anyone - just not what I'm looking for.)

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about any of these developments - good or bad.

Thanks in advance! I plan to be on this board a lot in the coming months! You guys are awesome

Lopez

Nope you missed the boat, we let the last 4 in yesterday

Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,693,834 times
<-----Last 4 ...Im sure there are more room for your family....I wish I can help you, but I am not familiar at all with them.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:19 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,788,791 times
Just want to say welcome to the forum!

Hope someone comes by this thread soon who actually knows the developments you speak of.

By the way, are those in Union or Mecklenburg County? I could probably ask around for opinions on another board that I frequent.

Good luck!

SL

Old 04-26-2007, 12:47 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez View Post

Lopez
Welcome to our wonderful state

I think the realtor does have you looking in the best possible areas for your price range. However, I would like to suggest you search beyond Mecklenburg county into Cabarrus county. Your money for a home would go much further out in Concord or Harrisburg. And to tell you the truth, schools there were be better too. Homes in your price range in Charlotte usually come with some problem nearby to them, just my 2 cents

Old 04-26-2007, 01:03 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,942,554 times
Hmmmm......I guess we can all squeeze in tighter and let you in. HA!

Hope you find a way to get here.

Dawn

Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 PM

45,245 posts, read 95,812,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Hmmmm......I guess we can all squeeze in tighter and let you in. HA!

Hope you find a way to get here.

Dawn
Everybody take a deep breathe and suck those guts in

Old 04-26-2007, 01:08 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,942,554 times
HA! Maybe I should just lose a few pounds!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Everybody take a deep breathe and suck those guts in

Old 04-26-2007, 01:30 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,531,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
HA! Maybe I should just lose a few pounds!

Dawn
I think that makes two off us

Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,693,834 times
3 here..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte