U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM

16 posts, read 60,748 times

Advertisements

There is something about the Carolina's, both north and south that we just can't live w/o. We love the landscape, the climate, the old southern feel, yet most everything is new and clean. We vacation in SC every year and have had the desire to move down there...somewhere for the past four years... so why are we not there yet?? We are a family of 5 (kids, 10,7,3) we currently live in an upscale suburb on the water north of Boston. We are worn down by the cost to live here, the rudness of the people and while there are nice parts (our town being one of them), in general Massachusetts isn't very well kept. We've decided that Charlotte is the place, and while we would most likely miss the water we would think about spending part of the summer at the beach. We are planning another visit, but some preliminary work here, will help narrow our choices, here's where you all come in. I'm going to be as specific as possible..all thoughts, comments welcome please.
Desires: Tight knit community or neighborhood with FREINDLY people where new people are welcome, where the kids play outside and neighbors come over for coffee or wine.Where people walk their dogs and there is activity around. I don't want my house to look like every other one on the street, but definatley want new construction, unique, with character. SAFE, somewhat upscale, but not snobby (does that make sense?)Excellent schools are very important and would look into public/private/parochial. We wouldn't be able to live in a place where I have to drive out of the gates to get a latte or bread or milk. We don't want a neighborhood that is directly of a major highway. Preferably in a golf course community and with a neighborhood pool if I can't have my own (but would really like our own too). Our price range is as high as $800,000, but would love to come in under that. My husbands job isn't an issue, but one of the reasons we chose Charlotte was the proximity to the airport for frequent travel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 09:22 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,819,825 times
My suggestions (on the south side of town): Ballantyne Country Club, Firethorne, Providence Country Club, Piper Glen...for starters...

Old 08-17-2009, 09:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,510,109 times
If you will miss the water consider living on Lake Wylie or Lake Norman

Old 08-17-2009, 09:38 AM

64 posts, read 269,282 times
I would consider Springfield in Fort Mill, SC - I think it may be just what you are looking for!!!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:20 AM

2,352 posts, read 4,335,140 times
Plaza-Midwood if you'd like to live closer in-town... lots of great neighbors, people out doing things, kids of all ages.

Definitely check out Lake Wylie/Lake Norman if water's important to you.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:59 AM

156 posts, read 381,781 times
I agree with living near or on Lake Wylie or Lake Norman so that you can still get to enjoy the water. There are some great neighborhoods that would put you very close or on the water. My husband is a custom home builder (with a lot of experience throughout the Charlotte area) who would be happy to talk to you about your needs and give you some input. If you would like his contact info, then feel free to send me a DM.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 AM

830 posts, read 1,409,229 times
Dilworth...older neighborhood, but you can get new construction outside of the historic district. Some are McMansion-esque, but some are well done. Lots of people from all over, lots of families.

Great neighbors, walkable to shops, restaurants and parks, close to uptown, and Eastover ES/Alexander Graham MS/Myers Park HS. Definitely lots of people walking/running/biking and out and about. No golf course or neighborhood pool, though.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:53 AM

123 posts, read 304,851 times
When my wife and I moved here from Long Island, we were looking for a lot of the same things that you are looking for. We chose the South Charlotte area because everything looks and feels so new. The area we left on Long Island was built in the 50's and was starting to look run down. We miss the water a bit but we can drive to the Mountains or the ocean in about 2.5 to 3 hours. Other posters mentioned the lake areas, also very nice. Most of the things you mentioned can be found in many areas of Charlotte. Since you said your husbands job (location?) is not an issue, the next thing I would suggest is that you carefully research schools. Two sights we found usefull were :
www.ncreportcards.org and www.greatscools.net ,that can help you narrow down your search a bit.. Also, you can easily find what you are looking for for under 800K. Good luck o your move!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,594,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom View Post
There is something about the Carolina's, both north and south that we just can't live w/o. We love the landscape, the climate, the old southern feel, yet most everything is new and clean. We vacation in SC every year and have had the desire to move down there...somewhere for the past four years... so why are we not there yet?? We are a family of 5 (kids, 10,7,3) we currently live in an upscale suburb on the water north of Boston. We are worn down by the cost to live here, the rudness of the people and while there are nice parts (our town being one of them), in general Massachusetts isn't very well kept. We've decided that Charlotte is the place, and while we would most likely miss the water we would think about spending part of the summer at the beach. We are planning another visit, but some preliminary work here, will help narrow our choices, here's where you all come in. I'm going to be as specific as possible..all thoughts, comments welcome please.
Desires: Tight knit community or neighborhood with FREINDLY people where new people are welcome, where the kids play outside and neighbors come over for coffee or wine.Where people walk their dogs and there is activity around. I don't want my house to look like every other one on the street, but definatley want new construction, unique, with character. SAFE, somewhat upscale, but not snobby (does that make sense?)Excellent schools are very important and would look into public/private/parochial. We wouldn't be able to live in a place where I have to drive out of the gates to get a latte or bread or milk. We don't want a neighborhood that is directly of a major highway. Preferably in a golf course community and with a neighborhood pool if I can't have my own (but would really like our own too). Our price range is as high as $800,000, but would love to come in under that. My husbands job isn't an issue, but one of the reasons we chose Charlotte was the proximity to the airport for frequent travel.
mamom - in your price range you will have many options that give you everything you want. My best advice...get a realtor right away. You need a pro to help you with all the leg work or you'll run yourself ragged looking at all there is to see. Best of luck!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,649,000 times
There's some good advise here and some self-serving advise. "Water" to you means one thing and "water" here in CLT only comes down to the areas that have been mentioned. On a budget of "800k or less" you can buy a Mona Lisa in Charlotte especially in this market.

If I were you, I would try to make a connection (maybe thru your husband's business?) with people in CLT that might live in the very communities that you are looking for.Your banker where you live, with a branch in CLT? Law firm? Accountant firm?
A highly recommended real estate firm that deals in upscale properties?
That's a lot of money to spend and you might want to talk to someone living in that type of house /community.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte