Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
But most Southerners did not support Bill Clinton either. He lost in North Carolina, for example, both times.
I think that was Ani's point. The dissent against BO and his plans for us are not based on his race or any bigotry and ignorance of these protesters (as is being presented in MSM). We didn't want it from Bill either and he was a 'good ol' boy'.

When will they realize that it isn't the presentation that is the problem when they are still serving up crap sandwiches!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
thank you ani, for keeping the thread in line

Old 08-18-2009, 09:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
I think that was Ani's point. The dissent against BO and his plans for us are not based on his race or any bigotry and ignorance of these protesters (as is being presented in MSM). We didn't want it from Bill either and he was a 'good ol' boy'.

When will they realize that it isn't the presentation that is the problem when they are still serving up crap sandwiches!?!?
SO please . . . ATTEND THE MEETING and let's show some proper Southern decorum.

Bring your questions regardless of where you stand on the issue.

This meeting is to EDUCATE ourselves.

(If you want to discuss this issue further, let's do it in the proper forum)

Old 08-18-2009, 09:27 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
Too bad those meetings start while I am still at work. I would love to voice my opinion to our representatives. Not to get too political but the Libertarian voice needs to be heard at these meetings.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Too bad those meetings start while I am still at work. I would love to voice my opinion to our representatives. Not to get too political but the Libertarian voice needs to be heard at these meetings.
Everyone's voice should be heard. Perhaps you can find a friend who will be willing to go and take notes and ask a question. Just remember: the number of questions from the floor will have to be limited.

Don't forget: you can always write your Congressional Reps - they really do take those letters into consideration. I always get replies back.

Perhaps folks can create some car pools to eliminate parking issues. This may be a good thing to think about as people plan for attendance at the meetings.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,654,293 times
Personally, I've written Sue's office twice and called once to express my concerns about the current state of disfunction of the existing healthcare system. I'd like to go, and express my concerns and issues, but I have this sinking feeling that the whole town hall will become a shouting match and the voices of those who really need some reform won't ever be heard.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Personally, I've written Sue's office twice and called once to express my concerns about the current state of disfunction of the existing healthcare system. I'd like to go, and express my concerns and issues, but I have this sinking feeling that the whole town hall will become a shouting match and the voices of those who really need some reform won't ever be heard.
Let's hope that won't happen. There is no need for folks to be shouting and out of order. First of all, as I mentioned earlier, the bill is in mark up. The President has already stated things are being reconsidered. There are many things in the bill that we all agree on - such as pre-existing conditions being eliminated. I hope that people will pass the word . . . and we on this forum can pass the word. . . that we are all neighbors and no matter what our concerns (or where we stand on this issue), it affects us all and we should be respectful.

Pass the word that we are all concerned citizens of the state of NC - we are not adversaries - and Myrick represents all of us, not just one group. This is our chance to show that we are united in our concern that all of the citizens of our state stand together in wanting ANSWERS, even if we may differ on the healthcare system itself. Nothing productive can come out of meetings that include "shenanigans." Come to the meeting if only to provide solidarity in wanting to show CONCERN and to insist that the folks sitting around us act like responsible adults.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:16 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,713,967 times
Time to get some poster board and markers.
Attached Thumbnails
Local Town Halls on Health Care w/Sue Myrick-protester.jpg  

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Haha, the guy in the center of that photo has the best sign that I have seen so far.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We don't wanna get the thread shut down . . . I am sure our legislators can work together to represent our concerns about our healthcare system in this country - and find a way to create real reform so that all Americans can live healthy lives. There are many ways to come to a resolution and reach those goals.

No matter how folks feel about this PARTICULAR legislation . . . we need to remember . . . it is being marked up in committee b/f it hits the floor . . . and voicing our concerns is a good thing. We NEED healthcare reform - and there are many models we can follow (or create) to make it possible for all Americans to have access to healthcare.

I think everyone can agree: improvements to the system can be made!

Attend a meeting and ask questions and listen!
That's the key point here: listen and ask! These town hall meetings are golden opportunites to find out from officials in both parties what the heck is really going on. It is a shame that so many have deteriorated into shouting matches and nothing is accomplished except blurbs on the news. And they have had just as many rancorous ones in states other than the South.

To me it is so frustrating that certain elements in both parties throw in all this garbage to get their points across and we citizens are missing out on finding out what is really proposed by both parties and which one could possibly work for this country and the people living here. Personally I think we should toss them all out and start over from scratch. It is so hard to find information on any proposal that isn't from a news source and obviously tainted.

Hope everyone that goes shares what you find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte