Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times

Advertisements

I saw an article in the local Lake Norman paper that says Sue Myrick, who represents the 9th district in the US House of Representatives, will be holding 3 town halls on reforming the health care system in the USA. I don't know if these will make it on the national news like some of the others, but here is your chance to participate if interested. According to the paper, Myrick is against reforming health care.

Meeting times.

August 25, 2009
Weddington High School Auditorium
4901 Monroe Weddington Road
Matthews, NC 28104
6:30pm

August 26, 2009
J.V. Washam Elementary School Gymnasium
9611 Westmoreland Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
7:00pm

August 27, 2009
Gaston Day School Auditorium
2001 Gaston Day School Road
Gastonia, NC 28056
7:00PM

As a FYI, Myrick is a former and I believe first woman mayor of Charlotte. She held the position back in the late 1980s. After that, she tried to run for the vacated US Senate position in 1992 but came up against the Jessie Helms machine who didn't want a woman to represent the GOP so she lost that primary. in 1994 she ran for the position she has today as the rep for the 9th district. Like the 1992 election, she was not the favored candidate by the GOP establishment. It looked as if that seat was going to be given to David Balmer, however late in the primary, it was discovered he had embellished his resume with things he didn't earn, lied about it and got caught. Myrick won the GOP primary which means she won the district as the 9th district is gerrymandered to make sure a Republican wins it. (not unusual in NC, all of the districts except for 2 -3 are gerrymandered this way for one or the other parties)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 05:17 AM

172 posts, read 465,487 times
Thanks for the info! May try to attend the one at Weddington.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Thanks for posting. We are going to try to make it to the Gastonia meeting.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,693 times
Let the voice of the people be heard!

But remember, if you go, you will be on the news portrayed as crazy, racist Nazis who are funded by big business and health insurance companies and not representative of Americans.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uber_bwnage View Post
Let the voice of the people be heard!

But remember, if you go, you will be on the news portrayed as crazy, racist Nazis who are funded by big business and health insurance companies and not representative of Americans.
Oh, you must not be listening to the same stations I have watched lately. They are now saying that ALL SOUTHERNERS are racists and that we are against anything the President proposes b/c we are haters. They are no longer saying Southern meetings are "staged." I have written about this and am furious. My question is . . . if that is true . . . then why were the same Southerners against healthcare reform under Clinton - another Southerner?

We are being marginalized here in NC and I don't appreciate it. A lot of folks attend these meetings wanting answers - they are not necessarily opposed to healthcare reform. I, for one, would LOVE to see real healthcare reform. What we are seeing is insurance mandates (and the President is now referring to it that way).

We definitely need to go find out what is and isn't in the bill (wh/ is being re-written - so no one really knows what is being proposed in the end, anyway).

Whether you are for or against changes in our healthcare system, I hope folks will show up and also display decorum, as the last thing we need is being labeled gun-toting, bible thumping haters here - wh/ is what is being said about us, as unfair as that is.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 AM

393 posts, read 1,187,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
as the last thing we need is being labeled gun-toting, bible thumping haters here - wh/ is what is being said about us, as unfair as that is.
Right on Ani!
If you are a member of SEIU or ACORN and you riot in the streets, you are just "exercising your right to protest". But if you are Joe-Schmo average taxpayer who ask questions of their elected representative, you are a crazy nut job.
I have a felling that Joe-Schmo average taxpayer is starting to realize the wool is being pulled over their eyes and the death of mass media "journalism" is quickly approaching. Deservingly so.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:36 AM

575 posts, read 1,515,695 times
Quote:
Oh, you must not be listening to the same stations I have watched lately. They are now saying that ALL SOUTHERNERS are racists and that we are against anything the President proposes b/c we are haters. They are no longer saying Southern meetings are "staged." I have written about this and am furious. My question is . . . if that is true . . . then why were the same Southerners against healthcare reform under Clinton - another Southerner?

We are being marginalized here in NC and I don't appreciate it. A lot of folks attend these meetings wanting answers - they are not necessarily opposed to healthcare reform. I, for one, would LOVE to see real healthcare reform. What we are seeing is insurance mandates (and the President is now referring to it that way).

We definitely need to go find out what is and isn't in the bill (wh/ is being re-written - so no one really knows what is being proposed in the end, anyway).

Whether you are for or against changes in our healthcare system, I hope folks will show up and also display decorum, as the last thing we need is being labeled gun-toting, bible thumping haters here - wh/ is what is being said about us, as unfair as that is.
What do you expect from the sensitive and tolerant mouthpieces of the Democrat party other than demeaning all who oppose their schemes. Remember when you could actually define the R word. Now it is used when dissent is offered to any administration policy or black official. This is what WE have allowed to be created. Just look at those who freely use the R word to identify someone as the true racist. I think a lot of people are getting tired of being called Nazi, hillbilly or racist by the same ideological group over and over again. Like the HillaryII healthscare bill this too will result in a backlash. The sooner the better for the sake of this country.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
How long until we see another civil war in this country? 10 years? 50 years?

Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,209,727 times
Quote:
.... My question is . . . if that is true . . . then why were the same Southerners against healthcare reform under Clinton - another Southerner? .....
But most Southerners did not support Bill Clinton either. He lost in North Carolina, for example, both times.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
How long until we see another civil war in this country? 10 years? 50 years?
We don't wanna get the thread shut down . . . I am sure our legislators can work together to represent our concerns about our healthcare system in this country - and find a way to create real reform so that all Americans can live healthy lives. There are many ways to come to a resolution and reach those goals.

No matter how folks feel about this PARTICULAR legislation . . . we need to remember . . . it is being marked up in committee b/f it hits the floor . . . and voicing our concerns is a good thing. We NEED healthcare reform - and there are many models we can follow (or create) to make it possible for all Americans to have access to healthcare.

I think everyone can agree: improvements to the system can be made!

Attend a meeting and ask questions and listen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte