Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 04:21 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
What did you do here that made you love it and miss it now? I really don't think you should look for somewhere to live that only has people with advanced degrees. How boring would that be if everyone was the same. You even said it yourself "useless conversations about books, art music" - heck you can get that conversation standing in a queue at the supermarket. Open yourself up and start a conversation yourself and don't worry about the type of degree somebody has - you will make friends much more easily.

Good luck with the moving etc.
Another example of a post that doesn't answer the OPs question!
Another example of a post that discounts the OPs values and requirements and is critcal of those purely because they don't match the posters.
I find the post rude and patronising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 AM

re the picture posted by bs13690

And the purpose of this post is?

Last edited by susan42; 08-21-2009 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: picture not in quote of post replying to

Old 08-21-2009, 05:04 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Another example of a post that doesn't answer the OPs question!
Another example of a post that discounts the OPs values and requirements and is critcal of those purely because they don't match the posters.
I find the post rude and patronising.

Who rattled your cage this morning? Perhaps the OP post was rather condescending asking if there was a particular place in NC that had better conversation than the rest. My point was that it doesn't really matter where all the so called intellectuals live they don't always have great conversation. I could talk at length on the one subject that I have a masters in but the OP might actually be looking for something on string theory of which I cannot claim that I know anything. You might want to talk about your expertise on nursing in Charlotte or the UK but hey she might find that boring too so before you tell me that I am patronising take a look at your own post. And for the OP - I live in Matthews NC, nice area, great schools, my neighbour has a phd in Forensic science, my husband is a statistics expert, my other neighbour is a principal of a HS, I was (in a former life) a systems analyst and I believe that two of my other neighbours are engineers and all of us read books. So if you think that having a conversation with any of us would suit your needs there are 3 houses in my neighbourhood for sale.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Who rattled your cage this morning? Perhaps the OP post was rather condescending asking if there was a particular place in NC that had better conversation than the rest. My point was that it doesn't really matter where all the so called intellectuals live they don't always have great conversation. I could talk at length on the one subject that I have a masters in but the OP might actually be looking for something on string theory of which I cannot claim that I know anything. You might want to talk about your expertise on nursing in Charlotte or the UK but hey she might find that boring too so before you tell me that I am patronising take a look at your own post. And for the OP - I live in Matthews NC, nice area, great schools, my neighbour has a phd in Forensic science, my husband is a statistics expert, my other neighbour is a principal of a HS, I was (in a former life) a systems analyst and I believe that two of my other neighbours are engineers and all of us read books. So if you think that having a conversation with any of us would suit your needs there are 3 houses in my neighbourhood for sale.

I think most people who didn't have some sort of an agenda would be hard pushed to find the OPs post condescending.In fact I found it quite self-deprecating.They never mentioned the type of converstion they were looking for was better than other conversation. Neither did they mention wanting to move to an area where everyone was of a particular educational standard or level.
You read that into the post.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:54 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,816 times
The fact of the matter is that if a post were truly off topic the mods would have removed it. I for one, think that "supplemental" information is fantastic, especially for people who don't know the area. If you're not from around here, you may not even know which questions to ask. Besides, there are a lot of other people who read these threads and can use the information that is presented. And, if someone finds a post truly unhelpful, there is always scroll and ignore.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:23 AM

852 posts, read 2,468,895 times
Quote:
I think most people who didn't have some sort of an agenda would be hard pushed to find the OPs post condescending.In fact I found it quite self-deprecating.They never mentioned the type of converstion they were looking for was better than other conversation. Neither did they mention wanting to move to an area where everyone was of a particular educational standard or level.
You read that into the post.

Agenda - what are you talking about? The OP's title was where to live in Charlotte if you are a bookworm/Educated Nerd. The answer is anywhere. If I was the only one to read something different why then did other posters start mentioning moving to Raleigh, Davidson etc as these places apparently have more people with doctorates. My original answer was in keeping with her question that you can live anywhere you like and I asked what it was that attracted her here in the first place. If I read the post the wrong way then I apologise to the OP - but it seems that many people read it that way.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemaew View Post
The fact of the matter is that if a post were truly off topic the mods would have removed it. I for one, think that "supplemental" information is fantastic, especially for people who don't know the area. If you're not from around here, you may not even know which questions to ask. Besides, there are a lot of other people who read these threads and can use the information that is presented. And, if someone finds a post truly unhelpful, there is always scroll and ignore.
Suuplemental is fine if you also make an attempt to answer the OPs question.
Out of interest, what did you think of the picture of whatever it was that was posted. Helpful, appropriate?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy McAvoy View Post
Hi,

I am new to these forums and very grateful for all the comments and insights on North Carolina. I am dying to come and live in your wonderful state -- I just vacationed there and miss it desperately.

Question: if you want to have useless conversations about books, art, music, where is the place to live? I come from a place where everyone has an advanced degree, but am too darn cold and depressed in the winter to join a book club or start a conversation.

I also love the outdoors, nature, my daughters' school activities, etc.
I live by Lake Norman and most people have advanced degrees. Unfortunately, they (we) are mostly into boating, fishing, and sports. I am sure that anyone around is willing to have a "useless conversation" about books, art, or music. It may have to be on the deck of a boat however I believe that one can discuss the aforementioned in any area that generally has an educated population which would be about 80 percent of Charlotte.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:22 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,816 times
Quote:
Suuplemental is fine if you also make an attempt to answer the OPs question.
Out of interest, what did you think of the picture of whatever it was that was posted. Helpful, appropriate?
I found it funny, and no, it did not bother or offend me. Really, when someone posts asking for people's opinions and advice, it really isn't fair to jump on someone for what to them is good advice, just because you don't think it is. And, just because one person understood something a particular way doesn't mean that everybody else does. Or even that the answer isn't something that helps to answer the OP. There is no way to convey with absolute clarity one's intentions and knowledge on a forum without having to write
WAY more than anyone is ever going to read, and so we all do the best we can to offer what we can.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Realistically, what the OP appeared to be saying is that she lives with people with advanced degrees and doesn' t want to live with in an average middle class area with dummies. What is wrong with that? I am sure that she would appreciate information on where she can find SUV driving soccer moms as well. Again, nothing wrong with that.

Last edited by vindaloo; 08-21-2009 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte