Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM

7 posts, read 13,479 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the advice, guys, I really appreciate it! Where is NoDa BTW? And could you spell it out?

I was a little surprised at some of the flames, but hey....perhaps you do need to read more Hint: the humorous self-denigration in my post is meant to cue you that I don't take myself or my intellect all that seriously.

Thanks again! And if I get a job here, yes I will be asking info about schools etc. being somewhat of a soccer mom and typical suburbanite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 01:44 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,454,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
re the picture posted by bs13690

And the purpose of this post is?
The title of the thread is Places to live in Charlotte if you are a bookworm/educated nerd. It's a pop culture reference. That is a screen shot from the very popular, cult classic, 1984 movie Revenge of the Nerds. (1:10 mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw6zrInbtQE

Old 08-21-2009, 02:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
The title of the thread is Places to live in Charlotte if you are a bookworm/educated nerd. It's a pop culture reference. That is a screen shot from the very popular, cult classic, 1984 movie Revenge of the Nerds. (1:10 mark)

YouTube - Revenge of the Nerds - Trailer
Well I obviously don't watch the right movies.
At least I learnt something!
Thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,137,406 times
Quote:
Suuplemental is fine if you also make an attempt to answer the OPs question.
Out of interest, what did you think of the picture of whatever it was that was posted. Helpful, appropriate?
I thought it was hilarious, and I bet the OP did too. She even called herself a nerd. Get off SM's back.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Well I obviously don't watch the right movies.
At least I learnt something!
Thanks
It's all good . . . we all learn stuff here regularly, lol! And I would doubt this was the cult favorite in UK that it was here . . .

Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,900,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy McAvoy View Post
Thanks for all the advice, guys, I really appreciate it! Where is NoDa BTW? And could you spell it out?

I was a little surprised at some of the flames, but hey....perhaps you do need to read more Hint: the humorous self-denigration in my post is meant to cue you that I don't take myself or my intellect all that seriously.

Thanks again! And if I get a job here, yes I will be asking info about schools etc. being somewhat of a soccer mom and typical suburbanite.
Trust me, you won't like NoDa. It is full of young Bohemians (Village types). They are not the intellects although they went to college. Don't think their degrees in sociology qualifies them. They wear dreadlocks, bellbottoms, and have Obama stickers on their 1996 Toyotas. Just kidding, but they are not what you are looking for. I would seriously look at anywhere that the houses look like the owner has a good education and you can't hear gang-bangers firing their Saturday night specials (unregistered handguns). Charlotte is full of neighborhoods with educated people. You definately wouldn't want your kid hanging around NoDa. It is a cool place to go when you are stoned and want to see how the other half lives (somebody told me). You won't find any soccer moms in NoDa. NoDa stands for North Davidson which is a major street in downtown Charlotte. It is really cool to stroll down Davidson from downtown (uptown) to NoDa and see the diverse richness of this fair city.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 PM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
You definately wouldn't want your kid hanging around NoDa. It is a cool place to go when you are stoned and want to see how the other half lives (somebody told me). You won't find any soccer moms in NoDa.
Hmmm... just got back from hanging with 3 other moms (2 are soccer moms) in NoDa. The kids love to walk around there, get a treat at Smelly Cat and just generally goof around.

And we may have discussed a book or two. And we weren't stoned. Only one of us was wearing Birkenstocks - does that count for or against your stereotype?

NoDa stands for North Davidson; the "heart" of the area is N. Davidson St. & 36th, but it extends further than that, to at least Amelie's French Bakery (great place to meet people!) at 2424 N. Davidson. Galleries, restaurants, book stores, and lots of great people - a very nice diverse area.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,531,204 times
Believe it or not, there can be lots of kids around NoDa - some even live there. Places like Revolution Pizza are very family friendly...

Old 08-21-2009, 07:46 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,150,549 times
I thank you're too smart fur us; best look elsewhur.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
You're kidding right? NoDa is crawling with kids. Maybe not so much as Plaza-Midwood, but I see a ton of strollers on 36th street...true there is a rough pocket between 12th and 27th, but the direct area around the heart of NoDa is thoroughly gentrified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Trust me, you won't like NoDa. It is full of young Bohemians (Village types). They are not the intellects although they went to college. Don't think their degrees in sociology qualifies them. They wear dreadlocks, bellbottoms, and have Obama stickers on their 1996 Toyotas. Just kidding, but they are not what you are looking for. I would seriously look at anywhere that the houses look like the owner has a good education and you can't hear gang-bangers firing their Saturday night specials (unregistered handguns). Charlotte is full of neighborhoods with educated people. You definately wouldn't want your kid hanging around NoDa. It is a cool place to go when you are stoned and want to see how the other half lives (somebody told me). You won't find any soccer moms in NoDa. NoDa stands for North Davidson which is a major street in downtown Charlotte. It is really cool to stroll down Davidson from downtown (uptown) to NoDa and see the diverse richness of this fair city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte