Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,493 times

Advertisements

our son lives next door to a drunk who keeps several small dogs[jackrussels and small beagles] in two tiny pens in his backyard.

the man is a renter , the backyard is overgrown with kudzu all the way up around the pens and he is mostly observed being drunk and a loudmouth.
neighbors have tried talking to him but he was very foul mouthed/threatening.

the owners of the house DO NOT care , brothers that inhereted the house from parents who lived there in about as much filth, at least they kept their dog inside.
the stench of dog poo is pretty strong , most of the time there are feces on top of what might be called their shelter, the ground is too covered in feces for them to want to be on the ground, so they sit on top of their houses all day.
these dogs are bred and always have little puppies yelping for food or water, at times all the dogs can be heard fighting with each other.
last i was there several young pups were crying and a couple were lost out in the kudzu. they have made a little hole under the fence.
apparantly a common occurence is finding the pups running around on the street , lost.
mind you these dogs howled and cried all winter long in the frost as well.
it has been going on for more than a year.
their water bucket is dark and filthy looking.

animal control has been called several times and has been out , due to the fact that there is a "dog house" for them to go in and water , albeit dirty, he gets a ticket.
he then mows the kudzu , brings them clean water and the go around starts again.

but nothing else happens.

neighbors on all sides call on this man , the filth has been documented in pictures,
he somehow is getting away with it all.

what would you do ? what else can this neighborhood do for these poor dogs?
they have run up against a wall.
this is right in the middle of charlotte .
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM

311 posts, read 915,763 times
get someone from PETA over there!! they will do something lol.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:24 AM

168 posts, read 505,923 times
I cant be much help, continue calling, call shelters, call Peta, I would personally be giving them food and water myself when the drunk is not around just so they are not starving. Nothing P****** me off as much as animal abuse. Sorry I cant be much more help.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
get someone from PETA over there!! they will do something lol.
Here is a link a FAQ on the ASPCA website about Animal Cruelty. Reporting Cruelty FAQ

When the dogs wander the neighborhood has anyone called Animal Control to report stray animals? To me, this sounds like simple neglect and from what I read on ASPCA it is hard to prosecute.

Or like Home said, call PETA. They don't care about the law and will wage war when a fire is lit under them.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,417,031 times
Send the landlords a "nice" certified letter telling them you are going to be calling the police and animal control, zoning department and tv stations, etc if they don't get their shetty tenants actions under control with pictures included. I would then contact the police and animal control ASAP telling them that these animals are not being treated humanely and provide good pictures to back that up.

or as I would do...

Take the animals yourself and take care of them and treat them as they should be treated and tell that POS neighbor to kiss my azz...

Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 AM

873 posts, read 1,803,950 times
Animal Control is getting more and more embroiled in bureaucracy. If the animals are being abused, try getting in touch with the Humane Society.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Call the Health Dept. Tha is an unsafe condition and they should respond.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:50 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,415 times
I agree or as someone said just call one of the TV stations. They love stuff like that. It's a terrible thing to witness. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,493 times
it is simple neglect , or rather gross neglect. seems like the animal control finds the conditions to be acceptable and most likely has their hands full with worse. that does not make it right though.

animal control has been called , numurous times, they have the pics. they have recordings of the dogs yelping and barking all nite long.
when animals roam they have been given back after the tenant pays fine.
tv stations have not cared so far.
landlord is aware and does not care, his last tenant had a poor rootweiler tied to the car in the driveway, winter and summer , with a sheet of plywood as cover. this was also found to be acceptable by animal control. that renter eventually went away due to illegal drugs.

going in the mans yard is trespassing , even if you go to feed and water. am not admitting to anything on this public forum, but rest assured.
stealing the dogs is , well just that , stealing the dogs.
the impression is the man is legally armed.

the only avenue not tried is the humane society, will give that a try.

peta , well, is peta , they may just let them loose in the forest, they also have no legal umph to speak of.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:19 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,495,059 times
I looked up the City Code online, and found the following (excerpted):

Quote:
Sec. 3-62. Abuse of animals.

(a) Prohibited. It shall be unlawful if a person negligently or willfully:

(1) Fails to provide adequate food and/or water for any animal he owns, possesses, or harbors;

(5) Keeps any animal under unsanitary or inhumane conditions which are detrimental to the animal's health and general welfare or fails to maintain a condition of good order and cleanliness which reduces the probability of transmission of disease;

(9) Fails to provide an adequate shelter for an animal he owns, possesses, harbors, or encloses, wherein the animal can be protected from extremes of weather (heat, cold, rain, etc.) and allowed to remain dry and comfortable during inclement weather;

(12) Fails to provide sufficient shade, when sunlight is likely to cause overheating and discomfort, to allow all animals kept outdoors to protect themselves from the direct rays of the sun; or

(13) Keeps animals outdoors without access to shelter to allow them to remain dry and comfortable during inclement weather.

(b) Convictions. If a person has been criminally convicted twice of a violation of this section or of G.S. 14-360, G.S. 14-361, G.S. 14-361.1, G.S. 14-362 or G.S. 14-363 and any two such convictions have both occurred within the last five years preceding a request by such person for an animal license or permit, the animal license or permit request shall be refused. In that situation, the person shall be eligible to apply for an animal license permit five years after the date of the last criminal conviction.
Also:

Quote:
Sec. 3-69. Nuisance.

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to own, keep, possess or maintain an animal in such a manner as to constitute a public nuisance or a nuisance to neighbors. By way of example and not of limitation, the following acts or actions of an owner, harborer or possessor of an animal are hereby declared to be a public nuisance and are, therefore, unlawful:

(3) Maintaining animals in an environment of unsanitary conditions or lack of cleanliness which results in offensive odor or is dangerous to the public health, welfare or safety, or failing to maintain a condition of good order and cleanliness which reduces the probability of transmission of disease;
Source: http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=19970&sid=33 Chapter 3, Animals, under Chapter 8, Miscellaneous

It seems to me like your neighbor is in violation of certain clauses of the City Code. If you find that animal control is not responsive, perhaps you can reach someone at the city to explain these potential code violations?

I'm a volunteer at the shelter and I know how overworked our officers are - but, if you really feel that your neighbor's animals are in danger and are a nuisance, perhaps there are other avenues within the city government that can help.

SunnyK - hope it was okay to post the code here! At first I thought about just posting the link, but then thought actually seeing excerpts from the code would be more helpful. Please delete if I'm violating the TOS.

Last edited by ctribucher; 07-22-2009 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: added note to mod
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte