Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:30 PM

33 posts, read 63,897 times

Advertisements

Thank you thank you. I'm looking at everything you guys are giving me and that's a good start! I'm not so concerned with working right now as I am going to school, so I will look at all the options available. I know there are a lot of schools in the area unlike we have here. There just aren't any resources available where I live. I will start that other thread for nursing advice.

I've looked at many different areas and have found lots of nice rentals and I'm now feeling kinda partial to Waxhaw and Union County, so you Union County people have been pretty successful launching your campaign! LOL

I think all the schooling things would be so much easier if I were THERE to do everything, so now I'm going to step up the pace and plan a trip in the near future (I was already planning one in September, I'm waiting for my new car and having a heck of a time with the finance companies accepting the power of attorney papers, for what reason I can't figure out, so I'm waiting to hear from my local bank on Monday).

Hopefully I can get down there in the next couple of weeks and look at some places and firm up where I'll be so I can get started on the transition and move. I'm already mostly packed and have my moving quotes, I just have to tell them to come pick up my stuff and where to deliver it to.

You're all being so helpful, I feel like I've made friends already. I'm so excited now, I can't wait to get down there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:40 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
I will have to say . . . Union County is a good bet for finding a neighborhood w/ friendly people, lots of children, and good schools. I also think there are many other great areas in this region, but narrowing it down would really make life a lot better at this stage - and I don't think there is any way looking in Union Co could be a mistake or something you would regret later.

Okay, here are a few threads w/ additional info re: nursing in this region:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...-clt-area.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...who-hires.html

This is a year old, but it may give you some info:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...p-nursing.html

Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedawn View Post
Thank you thank you. I'm looking at everything you guys are giving me and that's a good start! I'm not so concerned with working right now as I am going to school, so I will look at all the options available. I know there are a lot of schools in the area unlike we have here. There just aren't any resources available where I live. I will start that other thread for nursing advice.

I've looked at many different areas and have found lots of nice rentals and I'm now feeling kinda partial to Waxhaw and Union County, so you Union County people have been pretty successful launching your campaign! LOL

I think all the schooling things would be so much easier if I were THERE to do everything, so now I'm going to step up the pace and plan a trip in the near future (I was already planning one in September, I'm waiting for my new car and having a heck of a time with the finance companies accepting the power of attorney papers, for what reason I can't figure out, so I'm waiting to hear from my local bank on Monday).

Hopefully I can get down there in the next couple of weeks and look at some places and firm up where I'll be so I can get started on the transition and move. I'm already mostly packed and have my moving quotes, I just have to tell them to come pick up my stuff and where to deliver it to.

You're all being so helpful, I feel like I've made friends already. I'm so excited now, I can't wait to get down there!
Darcie, the big thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a school location to get really settled. This is a very large metro area & the commutes from some places just are not doable for a long-term basis. However, if you can get moved down here & get a short-term lease, that would let you & your family acclimate to the area. If you go to a public college, you'd need to be here 1 year to get the in-state rate.

Details...details...

Old 08-22-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Darcie, the big thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a school location to get really settled. This is a very large metro area & the commutes from some places just are not doable for a long-term basis. However, if you can get moved down here & get a short-term lease, that would let you & your family acclimate to the area. If you go to a public college, you'd need to be here 1 year to get the in-state rate.

Details...details...

Yes, it does seem like a large area. The way things look right now even a year lease would be okay because it appears it will be at least summer/fall next year before I start into any program. I wouldn't want to have to move a few times so I know what you're saying. An hour doesn't scare me as far as commute wise. I used to commute an hour and a half to work. 2 Hours scares me. LOL I used to do that when they were doing construction and it sucked the life out of me. Took up my whole day, not something I can do with 4 kids now.

Same as here, it does seem to take a while to get in. I was only fortunate because I fast tracked and took everything I could and got good grades. (My first semester I took 18 credit hours and summer took 12 because it was the max you could do.) Some people were waiting years before they got into a program here. We also only accepted 45 students into the program at a time, and at the end of semester 1 were left with only 18. Very demanding and very difficult. I'm glad I did it though, and I'm glad I took all those classes ahead of time, and I hope that helps me to get into something down there quickly.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedawn View Post
Yes, it does seem like a large area. The way things look right now even a year lease would be okay because it appears it will be at least summer/fall next year before I start into any program. I wouldn't want to have to move a few times so I know what you're saying. An hour doesn't scare me as far as commute wise. I used to commute an hour and a half to work. 2 Hours scares me. LOL I used to do that when they were doing construction and it sucked the life out of me. Took up my whole day, not something I can do with 4 kids now.

Same as here, it does seem to take a while to get in. I was only fortunate because I fast tracked and took everything I could and got good grades. (My first semester I took 18 credit hours and summer took 12 because it was the max you could do.) Some people were waiting years before they got into a program here. We also only accepted 45 students into the program at a time, and at the end of semester 1 were left with only 18. Very demanding and very difficult. I'm glad I did it though, and I'm glad I took all those classes ahead of time, and I hope that helps me to get into something down there quickly.
I hope that it all works out well for you. By the way, check out the grocery threads. It's not at the top of your list, but it's a huge help when you get here.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,898 times
Default re nursing forum

Don't know if you are aware of this forum, but you can post there for info about nursing schools.

North Carolina Nurses - Nursing for Nurses

Old 08-24-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Don't know if you are aware of this forum, but you can post there for info about nursing schools.

North Carolina Nurses - Nursing for Nurses
Thank you, I actually ended up adding it to my favorites, it's just what I needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte