Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:58 PM

33 posts, read 63,839 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My family is planning a relocation from West Virginia to Charlotte within the next couple of months. The sooner the better I say.

My husband is currently in Afghanistan (civilian not military), so I am doing all of this on my own and I'm at a loss. We have four children (11, 9, 2, and 1). My husband is a police officer stateside and a police trainer internationally. I am planning on finishing up my nursing degree after the relocation.

Our house in WV is still on the market, and I'm frankly tired of trying to do maintanance and upkeep while chasing 4 busy kids around, so we will initially be looking for a rental until we decide whether to build or buy and where to do it at.

I need to know where to start! I'd like a nice friendly neighborhood with not a lot of grass to mow, (I think ya'all have pretty flat property down there right?) right now I'm taking care of a half an acre on a slopey (its West Virginia, I know right?) lot which on the backside would make two grown men working on a lawn service cringe, but I would like to have at least enough room for the kids to play outside comfortably. If it's flat, no worries, that doesn't scare me. I would also like a single family home, at least 4 bedroom, 2 bath.

School district is important, my oldest child is advanced for her age and does very well in school so I'd like them to go to a good school, but of course, that's every parent.

The kids are active in sports and activities so a community with all that available would be nice (ie softball, cheering, soccer). I'll also be looking for a daycare for the younger ones so any recommendations or resources there would be helpful.

I'm currently searching the real estate website for rentals. I am only searching Charlotte though because it's all I know. Can anyone tell me what neighborhoods or areas to be looking out for, and school districts to look for, and other areas I should be searching? I would really appreciate the advice. I also would like to be within close proximity to the city, within a 30-45 minute commute to downtown. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Darcie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 03:57 PM

123 posts, read 328,579 times
With four young kids, I would suggest that you start by researching schools. Two good web-sites are www.ncreportcards.org and www.greatschools.net . When we relocated here from Long Island we chose Union County because of the schools. South Charlotte schools usually get good reviews and we have found this to be the case. Its very family friendly and a lot of people have relocated here. We live in the town of Waxhaw which has a nice rural feel, yet is just a 40 minute drive into the city of Charlotte. A lot of the newer homes down here sit on 1/4 acre lots which is easy to maintain yet gives the kids room to play, but you can find bigger or smaller if you like. I think its a great idea to rent while looking, that way you can take some time and look around while you adjust to a new setting. Also, there is a lot of new construction and resale to chose from. You will get a lot of good input from this forum- good luck and welcome to Charlotte!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedawn View Post
Hello everyone,

My family is planning a relocation from West Virginia to Charlotte within the next couple of months. The sooner the better I say.

My husband is currently in Afghanistan (civilian not military), so I am doing all of this on my own and I'm at a loss. We have four children (11, 9, 2, and 1). My husband is a police officer stateside and a police trainer internationally. I am planning on finishing up my nursing degree after the relocation.

Our house in WV is still on the market, and I'm frankly tired of trying to do maintanance and upkeep while chasing 4 busy kids around, so we will initially be looking for a rental until we decide whether to build or buy and where to do it at.

I need to know where to start! I'd like a nice friendly neighborhood with not a lot of grass to mow, (I think ya'all have pretty flat property down there right?) right now I'm taking care of a half an acre on a slopey (its West Virginia, I know right?) lot which on the backside would make two grown men working on a lawn service cringe, but I would like to have at least enough room for the kids to play outside comfortably. If it's flat, no worries, that doesn't scare me. I would also like a single family home, at least 4 bedroom, 2 bath.

School district is important, my oldest child is advanced for her age and does very well in school so I'd like them to go to a good school, but of course, that's every parent.

The kids are active in sports and activities so a community with all that available would be nice (ie softball, cheering, soccer). I'll also be looking for a daycare for the younger ones so any recommendations or resources there would be helpful.

I'm currently searching the real estate website for rentals. I am only searching Charlotte though because it's all I know. Can anyone tell me what neighborhoods or areas to be looking out for, and school districts to look for, and other areas I should be searching? I would really appreciate the advice. I also would like to be within close proximity to the city, within a 30-45 minute commute to downtown. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Darcie
Darcie, there are far too many places to suggest given the vague criteria you've given us to even try. My best advice is to find a realtor to start working with. You need someone to help you streamline this process.

But if you want to give a rental budget and a house purchase budget some of us can give you specific neighborhoods we like, just know you might miss out on A LOT of great places without the help of a realtor

Old 08-20-2009, 06:53 PM

Well I did contact a real estate agent today to start looking for me. He actually returned my call as I was putting this post in. He suggested Concord. I have been trying to look over everything and I'm honestly just feeling so overwhelmed right now, I'm actually sitting here crying. This is a big scary thing for me, especially alone like this.

I have been reading the posts about the unemployment rates, the lack of shortages of nurses (which I won't exactly be looking for employment until I graduate which is a good 2 years from now), the year long day care waitlists, the people not able to make friends, the crime rates.

I'm asking myself what I'm getting myself into. This is why I'm leaving this area. Not exactly all of those, I do have some friends, but with my husband overseas I have limited resources available to me helpwise with the kids. I do nothing. I stay home with 4 kids and just exist. I researched lots of places to relocate to (I'm out of real family here, my father and mother have both passed within the last few years) and DH is from NJ originally, all his family is there. I've actually turned down 2 good jobs due to lack of daycare for my children (ive worked the last 17 years until DH left in January and we closed our small business that we've had since I was laid off in 2005). DH has decided to renew his contract to stay overseas for at least another year (I'm thinking it will be more like 2-3) so he will be abandoning his 17 years of employment here, his leave will end in March. When he does eventually return home he will finish his degree and look for employment in the private sector. I decided to finish nursing school after I looked into them in the Charlotte area and I actually found a program that suits my needs, and will transfer my credits.

What drew me to Charlotte is Forbes listed it as one of the top 100 places to live based on crime rate, salary, unemployment, and culture index. The housing is also comparable to the area that I live in now, so it wouldn't be a huge shock to purchase a home there, and I thought after I sold my house here it'd almost be an "even up" kind of deal. I would only be spending more there because I want more house than what I have here. It's also a southern city, and I'm no northerner by any means. I have been to the Carolinas before and I enjoyed my time there. Am I being delusional or living in some fantasy world?

I thought this the perfect time to make this move, with DH leaving his job here we're not leaving behind anything. Also, with his income level at the current time, we're in a financial position to move with no worry about finding employment, I could go finish school. We're not in debt, just our house payment, and we're in the process of purchasing a new van. We lead a modest lifestyle, we're saving the money he makes for the van and the house we intend to build or buy down there, our goal was for him to take this job and over the year he was there to buy a new car and pay off our house and be debt free. Now with the extension, we have the opportunity to relocate and try to still be in the same boat. (I'm not being boastful or anything, I know the economy sucks right now and I'm feeling those effects too, if he hadn't gotten this job we'd be really bad off with just his salary as a police officer. I've personally had a bad shake from the economic downturns for the last 5+ years) I'm 33 and he's 40 and I feel like I've got a lot of life left in me and I'm capable of working for years to come and I want to get back out there and enjoy life. I'd feel really insecure and unhappy in a place where people didn't accept us, especially since I know no one there (my closest relative will be a cousin in Raleigh area I believe). My kids already have a hard time because my husband has made many enemies in his years of extensive investigative work. He's no stranger to the (bad) public and our last name stands out like a sore thumb. Luckily, I spent my law enforcement years in another county, so they don't feel the effects there. Example: Our last experience was my two girls being the only two cut from the pee wee, yes, pee wee, cheering squad. They took 40 + girls. I know, I know, maybe they weren't good enough you're thinking...but, removing myself from mom defense role here, the girls are athletic, took years of dance and cheering, and I got them private coaching to practice before the tryouts. (We went through this last time too). I couldn't take it again. Their spirits were absolutely shattered, and I could offer them no solace or reasonable explanation. It would have been so much easier to say "well, you didn't practice or try your best." But they did. DH is having a hard time here too. He says he spent his life's work ensuring the community we live in is safe, especially the children (his workload on child sexual assault was enormous and he headed the internet crimes against children task), just to have the community take out their aggravations on his own family. (We've even been threatened). Now that he's gone away and someone decided to publish that in the paper, the world knows we're alone and I'm really not feeling too safe here right now either. We need a fresh start.

I'm just that way I guess, I'm overly sensitive and I try to make everyone happy around me. Just sometimes I sacrifice my own happiness for it. Does that make sense?

As for the budget on the house, I am looking to rent around the $1000.00 a month or so area (it's flexible). Area is key, safety for the kids is of the utmost importance.

And yes, I do plan to contribute to your economy, as well as your community. I'm a soccer mom and a softball coach, a band parent, and I've never missed a dance recital. We are good people who work hard and are certainly not looking for handouts of any kind. We believe hard work and living right is the key to all things, it's proven time and time again that it comes back around to you.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Sounds to me that this would be a great area for you to move to. Please don't get discouraged. There are so many nice neighborhoods with other kids and some will have stay at home moms . . . and there are many programs to get your kids involved in.

You mentioned nursing and school - are you now enrolled in a program? Yes, we have more nurses here than many places that have real shortages, but that doesn't mean you won't get a job by the time you finish! So don't let them intimidate you or set you back with your plans.

If I were in your situation, here is what I would consider. I would want to be in a neighborhood with lots of other families and I would want to be in a fairly new neighborhood. That way, there will be other moms who are open to making associations with others (they have left friends behind, too!). Plus, you will be meeting parents of the kids your children will be going to school with . . . and have opportunities to get involved with the school itself.

I would highly recommend Union County . . . or Mooresville, if you like being near the lake. These are both areas where newcomers are moving regularly and there are so many opportunities to find other people who are wanting to reach out and meet others. And you will have good school systems with active parents in both those areas.

If you have a religious affiliation, it would be very helpful to get involved with a church or synagogue, as this is a fast way to meet other folks with similar values and that can help with establishing a support system. The other methods of finding other moms and kids and friendships would be to join a YMCA . . . where the children also have activities.

Now, there are MANY other wonderful communities and towns in this region. I just suggested these particular areas b/c I personally know newcomers who have very happily settled there and are pleased with schools and with their ability to make new friends and create a support system for themselves.

I think you need a fresh start, too. There are times in life when that is exactly what it takes to get us on a new path - and a jumpstart to creating a home environment where everyone feels some excitement about the future. How successful you will be will depend on wisely choosing a community that fits the needs of your children - and will offer you a chance to easily meet others.

You sound like a person who would make a terrific neighbor and a wonderful friend! You just need to find the right spot to land!

Old 08-20-2009, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 39,970 times
Well I can vouch that Concord is a great choice. We moved here a few years ago and just love it. My children attend school here and I'm very happy with their school. Some of my neighbors had younger children that attended daycare and they did not have an issue getting them into them. Probably the only issue is how expensive it can get but there are some good reasonable daycare centers around. Actually a couple just opened up recently and they look very nice and I've heard some good things.
As far as crime and the reports, I have to say that there are areas like anywhere else you just need to avoid. Personally we haven't had any problems and we feel safe here.
We don't have family here either but we have made some great friends and we have get togethers and the kids have friends over. Having kids is a great way to meet other parents and seeing that you volunteer and get involved I'm sure you'll make friends here and so will your children.
It is scary I understand but the unknown always is. If you can make a trip here to check things out that may help ease some of the anxiety of moving someplace unfamiliar.
Very best of luck to you and if you decide on Concord I'd be happy to answer any questions I can for you.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Darcie, I'm so sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed! You ARE dealing with a lot on your own and that can be very taxing. Take a few deep breaths right now, okay?

I think you have made a wise choice to consider the greater Charlotte area. Besides being a great place to raise a family, thousands upon thousands of folks have relocated here over the last 20 years so there is really a sense of optimism and inclusion among the citizens. In other words, this is not a city where everyone who is anyone can trace their lineage back a few generations, being exclusionary to any newcomers. On the contrary, this is is a welcoming place

My advice, talk to more than one realtor! Some are definitely better informed and more helpful than others. The idea of Concord is a good one, but so is Ani's suggestion to look at Union County - and no one realtor would be expert in both areas, they are on opposite ends of Charlotte.

Keep posting and asking questions. We will do what we can to help you

Old 08-21-2009, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 22,973 times
I agree with Ani again...Union county is a great option. Indian Trail, Waxhaw, and Wesley Chapel are all great options at the price point you mentioned. You might also try the Ballantyne/Blakeney areas of south Charlotte if you want to be closer to activities, etc. As Ani mentioned, there are lots of people from different parts of the country here and there are plenty of opportunities for kids and parents to be active in the community. Relocating is overwhelming. I was an expat, transplant and trailing spouse so I understand. Take one step at a time and it all falls into place Good luck!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Thank you all for your welcoming and helpful comments. I was suspect of what kind of response I was going to get about relocating (nature of the beast to be suspect) but you all have some great ideas. I was limiting my search to Charlotte, not knowing of all the beautiful communities on the outskirts. Never hit me, you know? And I don't know why since I live outside of the larger towns, except that I just didn't know where to start. I have been looking at all kinds of rentals online today that might just be what I'm looking for. And it's made me excited again, instead of being overwhelmed. I can't wait to get down there in September and look at some of these and make a decision. That's the biggest thing I need to do, cause you can't move until you find a place to move to that's for sure. I can't wait to meet new people and make friends and have a fresh start.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darciedawn View Post
Thank you all for your welcoming and helpful comments. I was suspect of what kind of response I was going to get about relocating (nature of the beast to be suspect) but you all have some great ideas. I was limiting my search to Charlotte, not knowing of all the beautiful communities on the outskirts. Never hit me, you know? And I don't know why since I live outside of the larger towns, except that I just didn't know where to start. I have been looking at all kinds of rentals online today that might just be what I'm looking for. And it's made me excited again, instead of being overwhelmed. I can't wait to get down there in September and look at some of these and make a decision. That's the biggest thing I need to do, cause you can't move until you find a place to move to that's for sure. I can't wait to meet new people and make friends and have a fresh start.
Darcie, which college/s have you looked at? That could play a part in where to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte