Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 AM

16 posts, read 63,383 times

Advertisements

Help! We are moving from South Florida and are interested in the best schools and family neighborhoods near Charlotte. I have two middle schoolers, one with learning disabilities, and would like to buy a home in the 300K-325K range. I'd like a decent lot (1/3 acre+), and a home that is 2400+ square feet. Schools are extremely important! I've read some nice things about Matthews, Weddington, Waxhaw, Lake Norman and Moorseville. Any details would be most appreciated. Thanks, Susan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 10:59 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
This is a VERY subjective discussion because of so many areas you list... You'll likely find many options at that price point. The only thing missing seems to be your commute - is that factor?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:06 PM

16 posts, read 63,383 times
Husband will be working in Charlotte.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:18 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan4664 View Post
By that do you mean uptown Charlotte? The area of Charlotte that he will be working in is very important, and should make a difference in where you choose to live unless he's happy with an hour+ commute each way everyday!

Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,975 times
Quote:
Help! We are moving from South Florida and are interested in the best schools and family neighborhoods near Charlotte. I have two middle schoolers, one with learning disabilities, and would like to buy a home in the 300K-325K range. I'd like a decent lot (1/3 acre+), and a home that is 2400+ square feet. Schools are extremely important! I've read some nice things about Matthews, Weddington, Waxhaw, Lake Norman and Moorseville. Any details would be most appreciated. Thanks, Susan
Hi-have you checked out GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community?
You can search by county or school name and compare with nearby schools.
We will be living in Mooresville (husband and son already there).
Husband commutes to Charlotte (Southend) every day and commute is about 40mins id he leaves at 7am and the same coming back as long as he leaves by around 4.30pm.
Traffic is relative to what you are used to.
Brawley middle school has a good reputation- you would need to look at Zip 28117 (West of I77 mostly) -some homes feed into Lakeshore middle.Lake Norman High school is the High school, but be aware they are talking about rezoning for folks who live towards Troutman.(North)
Hope this helps.
Our son has just started at LNHS and so far is loving it.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:39 PM

797 posts, read 3,295,130 times
I'd stay in Meck. County if you have a child w/ learning disabilities. I've heard many complaints from Union Co. residents that the resources aren't as good as Meck(even though in general they have excellent schools). That being said, S. Charlotte has many of the top schools and best High schools (Providence/Ardrey Kell). You should def. be able to find a house in the price range your looking for. Look in Area 5.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Charlotte is large spread out area made up of like 250 square miles - where specifically will he be working?

Old 09-18-2009, 12:56 PM

43 posts, read 118,276 times
The western side of Union County has great schools for the average student. Some of the better clusters are Porter Ridge, Piedmont, Parkwood, Weddington, and Sun Valley. However, I have a few tenants that love the City of Monroe for their special needs children. It does not have the best reputation on great Schools.net. However, the info on Great Schools does not consider special needs programs. I understand from a few of my tenants that have special needs children, Walter Bickett and some of the other ones in the city are "top notch" and offer special things. I would tour the schools and ask questions. I would stay out of Mecklenburg. The taxes are high and the schools are horrible.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinagal1995 View Post
The western side of Union County has great schools for the average student. Some of the better clusters are Porter Ridge, Piedmont, Parkwood, Weddington, and Sun Valley. However, I have a few tenants that love the City of Monroe for their special needs children. It does not have the best reputation on great Schools.net. However, the info on Great Schools does not consider special needs programs. I understand from a few of my tenants that have special needs children, Walter Bickett and some of the other ones in the city are "top notch" and offer special things. I would tour the schools and ask questions. I would stay out of Mecklenburg. The taxes are high and the schools are horrible.
I get so tired of that comment because it's just not true

First of all, taxes being high is all relative. Yes, they are higher than they have ever been (and no, I don't like it either) but compared to where a lot of transplants are coming from they are very low.

Secondly, not all schools in Charlotte are "horrible". Some of the best schools in the state are actually in Charlotte. Yes, there are problem schools - schools in areas of high poverty that are "horrible" by the stats. But there are also awesome schools - schools people love and support strongly. You should not paint with should a broad brushstroke

Old 09-19-2009, 08:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
After the recent news re: students being redistricted from Myers Park to East Meck. I would also caution to move as close to the schools of your choice as it possible to avoid redistricting.

We are happy with the Union County schools although we are currently not using them.

The special education in UC is getting better and many parents who formerly complained are saying they are happy with the progress being made. It does depend on exactly WHAT the special need is.

We live in Marvin and DH drives into Uptown.....well, he drives to the train station on South Blvd. and takes the train in. It takes him about 40-45 min. each way. BUT, he does leave early and avoid some of the heavier traffic times and find parking at the most Southern end of the train which is often full before 8am.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte