U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 PM

620 posts, read 1,997,224 times

Advertisements

If anyone lives in the Marvin area, you might know what I'm talking about. It's on Marvin Road when you cross over the creek at the county line. It smells like sewage and it is usually very potent at night. I'm assuming the smell is coming from the creek as it seems to be pretty backed up (most likely with debris such as branches, runoff, maybe garbage?, etc). The water is pretty much sitting still which is probably one reason why it smells.

Does anyone know if there are any plans to clean up the creek? If they can get the water flowing again, not only would it be good for the environment but it won't smell anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 PM

69 posts, read 249,261 times
I think that there is a sewage center right there. But I know exactly what your talking about!!

Old 09-01-2009, 09:11 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,413,760 times
That area is very close to a local HOG FARM. I owned property very close to it at one time.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:31 PM

Ah, I see. Is that the land that is for sale (on the right after the bridge)? I know it's not the sewage center because that is in Pineville. I've been trying to figure out where it was coming from and thought maybe it was the creek, but I might be wrong.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:26 AM

456 posts, read 1,086,826 times
Right at that point in the road observe the sign that reads "6 Mile Creek Greenway" (on your right going toward New Town Rd). The sign is not big & you can miss it easily. If you park your car in there you'll find a beautiful walking trail that is 2 miles roundtrip. About 1/3 of the way in you'll see the rear of a plant, I'm pretty sure it's some type of sewer plant. Lately it's been smelling frequently, I've never smelled it this often or bad in the year I've been here. Anyway, it's a really nice trail if you can go when it doesn't smell

Old 09-02-2009, 08:07 AM

494 posts, read 1,245,425 times
Yes, It is the sewage plant near the greenway. I always thought it was odd to have a sewage plant next to the greenway.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 AM

14,693 posts, read 24,757,237 times
Someone is trying to make "real" NY pizza so they imported some NY water. That is where the smell is coming from.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,055,103 times
Our region's topography dictates that sewer lines (and consequently, the treatment plants where the lines ultimately flow to) be located next to streams. Streams are naturally the lowest elevations in the area (water carving it's path). Since sewer is gravity controlled, it's cheaper and easier to lay it in the stream valley. Of course you can pressurize it and build lift stations and force mains (pressurized poop lines), but that is extremely costly compared to a regular old gravity line.

Add to this the fact that Greenways are generally an after thought and are woven into the land where there may be an opportunity...typically along streams since they're relatively undeveloped and scenic.

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Thanks, that's interesting. I never knew there was a sewage plant back there. Atleast I now know where the smell is coming from.

By the way (and I'm not sure what this has to do with the conversation) NYC water is actually very clean... just because it's NY doesn't mean it's "dirty".

Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM

14,693 posts, read 24,757,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Thanks, that's interesting. I never knew there was a sewage plant back there. Atleast I now know where the smell is coming from.

By the way (and I'm not sure what this has to do with the conversation) NYC water is actually very clean... just because it's NY doesn't mean it's "dirty".
Just a little attempt at humor. Very little...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte