Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,307,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogs View Post
does anyone know if Union County is planning on covering the speech. I believe CMS is but is allowing children to opt-out.
Probably should ask your school administrator/principal.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,077,805 times
Just had this discussion in a meeting today and wondered why parents would be concerned about the president of the United States speaking to our kids about the importance of a good education? Our failing/dropping out rates are skyrocketing and the rest of the world is overtaking us educationally, are parents aware of that?

We need our kids to stay in school, take challenging classes accordingly and realize getting ahead in a now global economy is going to take some brain-powered elbow grease.....

My personal hope is that during his speech, he informs us he is abolishing the No Child Left Behind program ( a monumental failure) and let teachers get back to teaching....

Old 09-03-2009, 07:29 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,057,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Mulman,

My post may be deleted, but I will try to explain.

I don't think people resort to using that term JUST for disagreeing with the pres. Lots of people disagree with him and prejudice has nothing to do with it. But there appears to be a certain segment of the pop that is almost insanely anti-Obama. They seem to go far beyond the lib vs conservative, demo vs republican, right vs left ideology. It really does seem so crazy, so far beyonf the norm, so far beyond rational thought that it makes one wonder.... for what reason is this person being sooooooo irrational. And sometimes when you can't find any other explaination.... you wonder if that plays into the equation.

This is just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth. But some people seem SOOOOOOO irrational that you realy just wonder.... I'm not so sure that I would have labeled anything in the last post that way, but I'm trying to represent to my best ability why people bring this up with our current president.
I don't know how to describe the same type of folks who were anti-Bush, to the extreme. There were Bush=Hitler posters and burning in effigy and all kinds of 'radical' protests. Were those protesters racists? Just because the extent of the argument seems irrational to you (or anyone) is not a justification to label a person as a racist. "I don't understand why they are so passionate and extreme, must be because he's black." Huh??? And lets be clear, there are PLENTY of people out there being called racist, not only the wacky radicals. Ask Charlie Rangel and that other dem chick who said people are against health insurance reform because the president "looks like me", i.e., is black. How does that explain why people were against the Clinton health care reform?? Sorry, this just isn't about race and to keep repeating/hearing that accusation is insulting.

And now for the on topic portion of my post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodogs View Post
does anyone know if Union County is planning on covering the speech. I believe CMS is but is allowing children to opt-out.
My high school UCPS students had not heard anything about it yet. They are going to ask tomorrow. I'd ask myself but hey, this is high school, they don't need their mommy calling in when they can ask themselves.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:30 PM

587 posts, read 1,624,002 times
What is wrong with our country that it's now not "politically correct" to show a speech by the president of our country - addressed to kids! - in public schools? Have we completely lost it??????

Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,024,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
What is wrong with our country that it's now not "politically correct" to show a speech by the president of our country - addressed to kids! - in public schools? Have we completely lost it??????
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1 million!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,051,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
Mulman,
But there appears to be a certain segment of the pop that is almost insanely anti-Obama.

They are insanely anti-obama because there are people that are insanely obsessed with him.
What do you expect? Personally I dislike him even more because of how obsessed and how in LOVe they are with him. (And btw I'm a minority myself too!).

I don't see it as a big deal that Obama is speaking the kids. If parents at home dislike him, then most likely their kids will too and dislike/criticize any of his message.

If kids are going to do well in school then it's up the parents.

I'm curious though now as to what he'll say in the speech and how it'll affect charlotte.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,901,912 times
I don't care for the Prez. Yet, I still hope he does a good job as he is the leader of our country.

I also consider it an honor that the Prez is going to speak to the school children. If I had eligible kids, you can bet your bottom dollar that they'd be in school that day.

Call me old fashioned, but I was raised to respect the position even if I didn't care for the person in the office.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:54 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,307,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I don't see it as a big deal that Obama is speaking the kids. If parents at home dislike him, then most likely their kids will too and dislike/criticize any of his message.

+1,000,000 My wife is a teacher.

BUT, many of today's children, unfortunately do not have parentS.
'Till death do us part' might as well be Greek to modern American ears.

IMHO if you can fix the family unit, then you will fix many of our county's ills.

“America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville 'Democracy in America' 1835

Last edited by mullman; 09-03-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 09-03-2009, 08:02 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,627,424 times
This is addressed to anyone that feels the need to send me a nasty comment via rep points. If you have something to say to me personally feel free to post in the forum or send me a direct message so I know who you are.

If you are man/woman enough to say it, be man/woman enough to stand behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
They are insanely anti-obama because there are people that are insanely obsessed with him.
What do you expect? Personally I dislike him even more because of how obsessed and how in LOVe they are with him. (And btw I'm a minority myself too!).

I'm curious though now as to what he'll say in the speech and how it'll affect charlotte.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,024,551 times
bay, just look at it this way...at least you get rep points!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: