Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM

24 posts, read 79,336 times

Advertisements

I am wondering what suggestions anyone would have for the best school districts within 45 min commute to Charlotte... with homes close to the $200,000 price range. Names of schools or district would be very helpful for our relo.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 09:40 AM

4 posts, read 16,115 times
Look at njrover's "school info" posting below - there's a good link I'm finding very helpful (I had the same question as you)

Old 05-01-2007, 02:42 PM

24 posts, read 79,336 times
Thanks for your reply. I have used greatschools site a million times It is a great tool especially for relo help, but I have found several areas that seem nice but according to greatschools the testing scores are not that great. There are several that don't look that great statistically, but they have excellent parent reviews. There are many others that I am looking at that don't have any reviews. I just don't want to find a home I love and find that the schools are not as good as they looked on a website. When you visit an area you can't tell much about their schools so you have to rely one of the websites or other people's opinions. There is one school district that I was looking at on ncreportcard.org and their ratings were low, but their test scores and other stats on greatschools looked really good. So I was hoping there were some that could give me some district or schools that are known locally as good schools.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:51 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
I would post under the Charlotte Forum for more direct answers.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 13,763 times
Union county, just south of Charlotte has great schools. Weddington, Marvin, any in that area are great.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM

1,417 posts, read 6,907,364 times
Some districts that are really good in the Charlotte area are Cabarrus Co., Union Co., Ft. Mill, and Clover.

I do want to mention something that I'm not sure I've ever mentioned before. My wife has been in teaching for 16 years. What she's found out over the years is parental involvement in a child's education plays a MUCH bigger role that a school's test scores. It's really better to look at PTA involvement and things of that nature than hard test score numbers. Parents who are on top of things are the biggest factors.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,640 times
Default concord high?????

is concord high a good school???
please help me out.
i hear good and i hear bad.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,050 times
Belmont, Mt Holly, Cramerton and Lowell have some excellent schools are easy to go get to and from when you need to go to Charlotte.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:32 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahol View Post
is concord high a good school???
please help me out.
i hear good and i hear bad.
They are state football and basketball champs in their division this year - so that tells me they are a sports oriented school I have not heard bad things about the school and I do know one teacher there. Hopefully someone with a child there will chime in and let you know what they think of it. Generally the Cabarrus county schools are all good.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,913,736 times
Agree, Cabarrus Co schools are good, they have few problems, the school board is decent. I'd also recommend visiting the school because you (and the kids) will know what feels right after meeting with the teachers and walking the halls. That was my experience when I moved here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte