U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2007, 03:59 PM

83 posts, read 378,939 times

Advertisements

Any one know what's up with the revitalization of the Monroe Mall? Supposedly the new owners are supposed to turn it into a "lifestyle center," but I haven't seen anything going with that at all. I last heard that construction was supposed to start this past February.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2007, 08:06 PM

2,115 posts, read 6,738,683 times
I have no clue what the future holds for Monroe Mall but I've certainly wondered how they manage to stay open. It appears to mostly serve as a hangout for teens.

I do like the Waldenbooks but only because I can't go into Charlotte every time I want a new book. Last time I was there someone told me that with the renovations the Waldenbooks would become Borders. That would certainly be nice! So far, most of my requests have to be ordered even though I know Borders on Rea Road has most of my list in stock.

SL

Old 05-05-2007, 12:26 AM

70 posts, read 201,672 times
I would like to see Monroe Mall given a lift...I like it there but I'm not liking Chick fil a as the only place to eat...it's a teeny mall...what exactly are the plans for it....are they raising the roof and making it 2 stories... ) I got aggravated going into all the major stores in that mall and they have no bedding or well anything....they just had no space and always I was referred to their catalog....I don't want a huge mall...but maybe just a bit bigger...maybe 2 (dare I say) food choices.....

Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 AM

1,304 posts, read 4,059,596 times
Default Monroe Mall needs to reinvent itself

I think Monroe Mall fell apart when they lost the Wal-Mart store as an anchor tenant. Wal-Mart was a huge draw for them. I don't think they have ever recovered. Sears just doesn't have the same appeal. I'm sure it also didn't help when the new Target shopping center opened just up the road.

Let's hope Monroe Mall figures out its niche and gets it together. I'm starting to think that downtown Monroe is going to come back to life, sooner! Wouldn't that be a refreshing change? A mall lose out to a downtown area.

Old 05-05-2007, 03:58 PM

36 posts, read 459,076 times
Default Under New management

We moved to Monroe last January and sometime during the Spring/Summer we were having lunch at the Pizza Hut right there at Monroe Mall. We noticed how run down it looked and asked our server why the lights in the parking lot weren't lit up for safety. She proceeded to tell us that the mall had been purchased by a Maryland Contractor and that Penny's was being extended. Glamour Nails, which has it's entrance outside of the mall is moving next door to Belks inside the mall. Right now that's about all I know. Our neighbor works at Penny's so as soon as I see her I'll find out if she knows anything. Since she works two jobs though..the sight of her is very rare. This new change will be good for Monroe and yes...Sears really needs to step up. Although since K-Mart has purchased Sears anything can happen. It ain't the Sears I grew up with...they should go up another floor in all of the anchor stores. I think they also need to bring in some of the Outlet stores such as Lennox, OshGosh, Childrens Palace; and some nice fashion outlets like Limited, Banana Republic and for Pete's sake....build a decent Theater Complex....like MovieCo...or even another AMC complex. And what would really be nice would be a Dave & Busters. This would bring more money into our area big time. Of course they've also got to improve the road if they want the people to come to Monroe. In time though I think you'll start seeing some positive things happening to Monroe.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM

8 posts, read 20,731 times
well.. i know those posts were a long time ago.. but i just came into the monroe mall... i have the jukebox deli restaurant in indian trail, and i am temporarily in the monroe mall for the holidays.. may be longer if it goes well.. we'll see..

we have great food.. and boar's head meats.. we are trying to have all the "mall food" that seems to be missing there..

pretzels, nachos and cheese, hot dogs, great coffees, ice cream..

we'll see how it goes! but stop in and see me!

thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte