Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2009, 01:00 PM

9 posts, read 15,781 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are thinking of buying in the Berkeley neighborhood. We are relocating from out of state, but have been to Charlotte a few times house hunting. We are in our early 30's with a 1-month old, and plan for more children down the road. I love the house we're considering, but my concern is how kid-friendly the neighborhood is. There are no playgrounds/parks/pools in the development. It looks like a 10+ minute drive to any of the other parks/greenways within Charlotte, which is not bad, but less than ideal. Can anyone comment on this? We love the look of the neighborhood - mature trees and well-kept homes - but I want to make sure it's a good one for kids.
Are there any closer neighborhood parks/playgrounds that maybe I just haven't seen?

Also wondering how social the neighborhood is. My husband travels alot for work, and I will not be working, so I'm wondering if it's the kind of neighborhood where people know each other and are out and about.

Last edited by newburygirl; 09-29-2009 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: added question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Anyone have anything to share? Anything at all??

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newburygirl View Post
My husband and I are thinking of buying in the Berkeley neighborhood. We are relocating from out of state, but have been to Charlotte a few times house hunting. We are in our early 30's with a 1-month old, and plan for more children down the road. I love the house we're considering, but my concern is how kid-friendly the neighborhood is. There are no playgrounds/parks/pools in the development. It looks like a 10+ minute drive to any of the other parks/greenways within Charlotte, which is not bad, but less than ideal. Can anyone comment on this? We love the look of the neighborhood - mature trees and well-kept homes - but I want to make sure it's a good one for kids.
Are there any closer neighborhood parks/playgrounds that maybe I just haven't seen?

Also wondering how social the neighborhood is. My husband travels alot for work, and I will not be working, so I'm wondering if it's the kind of neighborhood where people know each other and are out and about.
Welcome to Charlotte! Berkeley is a very nice neighborhood convenient to so many things! I think it is somewhat less ideal for kids because it lacks a neighborhood pool, but it is still fairly close to nice parks like William Davie on hwy 51 and the wonderful Siskey YMCA - which you will definitley want to be involved in with kids. In addition, Berkeley is right across the road from the top ranked elementary school in Charlotte - Providence Spring. If I were a parent of young kids I'd buy there just for that! Best of luck to you in your move

Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,962 times
Quote:
We love the look of the neighborhood - mature trees and well-kept homes
So did we! It reminded me of Chevy Chase MD. We actually spent a day looking at houses in that area and looked at several in Berkeley and thought it was a very nice neighborhood, but short on amenities (as lovesmountain said). We visited some very nice folks there who were very happy with the neighborhood (I think they had a very precocious middle schooler and one in high school)

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 AM

Thank you both! XcapefromNJ - just curious where you ended up buying? Do either of you recommend other neighborhoods that may have more amenities, but similar to Berkeley with the mature trees and good yard sizes? There are two homes in Prov Plantation we like, but the layout is just a little off.
Our only real requirement is that we're within 30 minutes of the airport, but we've been focusing on the South due to the good reputation of the schools.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
I don't live too far from there. The level of street exposure would concern me somewhat in Berkeley. Many of the homes seem awfully close to Providence Rd. I haven't actually driven around the neighborhood, so I don't know how far back it goes; that's just what I see from Providence.
I would say there would be much more privacy in Prov. Plantation. You may also want to look at Hembstead, which is in the same area with mature landscaping and decent sized lots, plus a pool.

Last edited by cheesehead1; 10-01-2009 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: forgot my smiley!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte