Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:31 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I don't understand what needs to be zeroed in on to make something "gay friendly." I'm being honest here...not just pushing my "conservative anger" on anyone. Are there really places that will not serve you if you walk in holding the hand of someone of like gender? Sure, you probably don't want to walk into a place that's bound to bring trouble; you know, somewhere that may be synonymous with not really liking gays...but that goes for anything. As a white collar white guy, I'm not going to stroll through the ghetto!

But back on topic, why should places have to bend over backwards or make any additional effort to attract gay folks than they do to attract regular ol' straight folks? Are different TV commercials needed? Different magazine and newspaper ads needed? A separate entrance to the building with red carpet rolled out? Rainbow flags flying? Seriously...what makes a place "gay friendly" or not?

I've yet to see a place deny service or act any differently toward gay folks...and I've been to plenty of places and seen plenty of gay folks out and about. I'm sure there may be an isolated incident or two of a waiter/waitress being a little rude, but that doesn't make the establishment gay unfriendly.

I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm just trying to keep a very specific group from being treated specially or above the others...especially when all they claim to want is "equal rights/treatment."

Maybe I gotta be gay to get it...
Good posting Steve. I was in San Francisco within the last couple of years when my wife and I went to the Castro District to buy a heater. Castro district is very gay. We walked into a restaurant for lunch and people looked at us as if we were from Mars. We were the only mixed (man and woman) couple there. Guess San Francisco isn't that "straight" friendly

I look at gays as I look at anyone else. I like some and some really **** me off with arrogance. Nevertheless, I have no problem with them as friends, neighbors, or anything else. I really respect most of them as they are generally educated, neat, have jobs, dress really well, and normally very polite. In summary, I feel as respectful towards them as anyone else with those charactistics.

That brings the question of "gay friendly". I am friendly to gays as I am to everyone, and I think that all my friends and acquaintancies are as well. Gays are welcome anywhere and I don't think that they are discriminated against in any manner pertaining to employment, etc. So, how friendly do we need to be to be a "gay friendly" city. To roll out a red carpet or give special treatment just because they have a different lifestyle is inconceivable as far as I am concerned.

Having gay conventions in Charlotte would be a great economical boost, therefore I would be happy to see them. Why does Charlotte have to present some sort of facade to get encourage them to come? That seems pretty hypocratical (liberal) to me. We are what we are. I believe that most of us welcome them.

It could be that gays in our metro area have assimilated into our neighborhoods and look at themselves as citizens and neighbors, not as people that need special friendly treatment.

Last edited by vindaloo; 09-30-2009 at 01:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,904,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
...I don't want to explain to my little kid that she must have eaten some bad chili to make her pants have holes like that (or some other ridiculous lie).
This comment caught me off guard and brought on one of the best belly laughs I've had in a while. Thanks for your humor Metallisteve!

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Maybe the QC doesn't want to be a Liberal mecca? Some people LIKE that Charlotte is a socially conservative city, nothing wrong w/ that, IMO.

I don't understand why people move here and then try to change it into something else.
+1. Can't give you more rep points, but yeah, what you said. I moved from a VERY liberal part of the country, and while I get along with everyone, I like the fact that Charlotte is a little more on the conservative side. It's part of why I think Charlotte is a better place to raise kids.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:51 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
I have some lesbian friends that I've known for years. We get along well. I don't worry about gays , they have a right to be here as does anyone else. Now when they make passes at me , that's a call to arms!!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I don't know what part of Charlotte you guys hang out in, but the places I go to are quite open (ie Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Ballantyne, Southpark, Carolina Place, Concord Mills, the bus, the train, Eastland, the Cook Out on Freedom, my neighborhood).

Calling Charlotte "gay unfriendly" because there hasn't been an openly gay elected official is somewhat desperate IMO. Honestly, does Mark Sanford represent the average white male in South Carolina? I don't think so. Therefore, how on Earth can a gay candidate somehow make a place gay friendly or not? Gay friendliness takes place on the streets and in your work place. It DOES NOT take place in some politician's office.

I cringe everytime someone accuses Charlotte of being something its not due to the politicians that run this city. What a joke. Most of those folks that run this city were elected by the minority of folks that actually care to vote. That's the truth. If ALL of Charlotte actually voted, our elected officials would look like these two.

http://delusionaltruth.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/hated-it.jpg (broken link)

It is what it is.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
That brings back memories , LOL!!
And a real life Fire Marshal Bill!!
Lemme show ya somethinnn!!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:59 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
That brings back memories , LOL!!
And a real life Fire Marshal Bill!!
Lemme show ya somethinnn!!
I found it on the US general city vs city page and I couldn't help but post it when I saw this thread.
Skyline Battle: Downtown Atlanta vs Uptown Charlotte Here is where I found it posted by "grindin".

Old 10-01-2009, 07:36 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I don't know what part of Charlotte you guys hang out in, but the places I go to are quite open (ie Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Ballantyne, Southpark, Carolina Place, Concord Mills, the bus, the train, Eastland, the Cook Out on Freedom, my neighborhood).

Calling Charlotte "gay unfriendly" because there hasn't been an openly gay elected official is somewhat desperate IMO. Honestly, does Mark Sanford represent the average white male in South Carolina? I don't think so. Therefore, how on Earth can a gay candidate somehow make a place gay friendly or not? Gay friendliness takes place on the streets and in your work place. It DOES NOT take place in some politician's office.

I cringe everytime someone accuses Charlotte of being something its not due to the politicians that run this city. What a joke. Most of those folks that run this city were elected by the minority of folks that actually care to vote. That's the truth. If ALL of Charlotte actually voted, our elected officials would look like these two.

It is what it is.
Did I hear . . . "two snaps and hey y'all" - somewhere in that post? ROFL!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

It is what it is.
+1 "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to urbancharlotte again."

Old 10-01-2009, 08:19 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
I've been to San Francisco a few times, and the reason that is "gay friendly" is that people who are gay are out and don't have to worry about strange looks or attitudes in general.

I honestly have not noticed anything like that here, but I'm not gay, so it's highly possible I am missing the vibes either way: accepting or not.

It's not a matter of being more accommodating to one group more than to another as it is a matter of being comfortable with whoever is around you, regardless of color, style, or sexual preference.

This may be off topic, but being from the SF Bay area, there are plenty of strange looks and attitudes in general. However, I think there are more gay people in the area, so you learn to live and let live. There are restaurants and areas that cater to specific groups.

Is that what you mean by gay friendly? More businessness that target gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte