U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,237,040 times

Advertisements

News | Creative Loafing Charlotte | News

This is a great article regarding Charlotte/Chapel Hill and how Chapel Hill basically is more 'welcoming" than Charlotte regarding the gay lifestyle.....Now I know Charlotte is not known for a destination for gay travelers...but if marketed correctly, it could bring more tourists/dollars to the city....Just a thought.....Makes a lot of sense....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 AM

18,346 posts, read 10,476,580 times
With all the colleges, is it a wonder that the Triangle is viewed as more gay-friendly than CLT? Let's face it, higher education is much more synonymous with liberal views than white-collar banking.

Having said that, I don't see CLT as being unfriendly to gays, although I doubt I would notice it unless it was very overt. I'll have to ask my nextdoor neighbors what their experience is.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 AM

6,778 posts, read 12,425,732 times
Maybe the QC doesn't want to be a Liberal mecca? Some people LIKE that Charlotte is a socially conservative city, nothing wrong w/ that, IMO.

I don't understand why people move here and then try to change it into something else.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 60,823,750 times
charlotte is to conservative to be gay friendly charlotte may be tolerant but isnt gay friendly.

chapel hill near carrboro had nc first gay mayor.
charlotte doesnt have open gays running for political offices
to each there own

Old 09-30-2009, 10:32 AM

2,447 posts, read 6,878,729 times
Charlotte already gets $$$$$$$ each year from travelers visiting without specifically marketing to LGBTs. Chapel Hill has found its niche in marketing and is focusing on that. Without the emphasis of being "gay friendly" how many out of state people are likely to travel to Chapel Hill (the city only, not Raleigh or Durham) vs Charlotte?

I'm straight but I know quite a few gays and lesbians that are out in Charlotte and active in the community. Personally I can't say how gay friendly Charlotte is but there are activities here, for example Pride Charlotte. Next Sunday will be the Out Sidewalk Parade in uptown

Old 09-30-2009, 01:40 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,771,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
charlotte is to conservative to be gay friendly charlotte may be tolerant but isnt gay friendly.

chapel hill near carrboro had nc first gay mayor.
charlotte doesnt have open gays running for political offices
to each there own
So b/c Charlotte doesn't have any gays running for political office, that makes it unfriendly or intolerant to gays? We all know that Charlotte isn't as liberal as San Francisco but it isn't Gastonia either!

Old 09-30-2009, 01:41 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,961,706 times
I don't understand what needs to be zeroed in on to make something "gay friendly." I'm being honest here...not just pushing my "conservative anger" on anyone. Are there really places that will not serve you if you walk in holding the hand of someone of like gender? Sure, you probably don't want to walk into a place that's bound to bring trouble; you know, somewhere that may be synonymous with not really liking gays...but that goes for anything. As a white collar white guy, I'm not going to stroll through the ghetto!

But back on topic, why should places have to bend over backwards or make any additional effort to attract gay folks than they do to attract regular ol' straight folks? Are different TV commercials needed? Different magazine and newspaper ads needed? A separate entrance to the building with red carpet rolled out? Rainbow flags flying? Seriously...what makes a place "gay friendly" or not?

I've yet to see a place deny service or act any differently toward gay folks...and I've been to plenty of places and seen plenty of gay folks out and about. I'm sure there may be an isolated incident or two of a waiter/waitress being a little rude, but that doesn't make the establishment gay unfriendly.

I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm just trying to keep a very specific group from being treated specially or above the others...especially when all they claim to want is "equal rights/treatment."

Maybe I gotta be gay to get it...

Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,771,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
I don't understand what needs to be zeroed in on to make something "gay friendly." I'm being honest here...not just pushing my "conservative anger" on anyone. Are there really places that will not serve you if you walk in holding the hand of someone of like gender? Sure, you probably don't want to walk into a place that's bound to bring trouble; you know, somewhere that may be synonymous with not really liking gays...but that goes for anything. As a white collar white guy, I'm not going to stroll through the ghetto!

But back on topic, why should places have to bend over backwards or make any additional effort to attract gay folks than they do to attract regular ol' straight folks? Are different TV commercials needed? Different magazine and newspaper ads needed? A separate entrance to the building with red carpet rolled out? Rainbow flags flying? Seriously...what makes a place "gay friendly" or not?

I've yet to see a place deny service or act any differently toward gay folks...and I've been to plenty of places and seen plenty of gay folks out and about. I'm sure there may be an isolated incident or two of a waiter/waitress being a little rude, but that doesn't make the establishment gay unfriendly.

I'm not trying to be mean here...I'm just trying to keep a very specific group from being treated specially or above the others...especially when all they claim to want is "equal rights/treatment."

Maybe I gotta be gay to get it...
I totally agree with you Metallisteve, I don't think we should be bending over backwards to appease gays, lesbians, bi-sexuals, or even straight folks for that matter. If we all would realize that we are all Americans and working towards the same goals of working hard and making a good life for ourselves, everything would be fine, but we have too many people with this entitlement mentality who thinks everyone owes them something b/c they think that they are more special than everyone else. I'm an African American and I get bothered by that same mentality that some folks in my race seem to have as well, so I'm not just picking on homosexuals.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:09 PM

1,511 posts, read 3,027,674 times
I've been to San Francisco a few times, and the reason that is "gay friendly" is that people who are gay are out and don't have to worry about strange looks or attitudes in general.

I honestly have not noticed anything like that here, but I'm not gay, so it's highly possible I am missing the vibes either way: accepting or not.

It's not a matter of being more accommodating to one group more than to another as it is a matter of being comfortable with whoever is around you, regardless of color, style, or sexual preference.

Old 09-30-2009, 02:21 PM

1,894 posts, read 5,961,706 times
I'm completely comfortable with all types of folks around...as long as they are behaving and acting somewhat "normally" as to be accepted by society. In other words, I'm not going to be comfortable with some gay guys wearing assless chaps while walking down Tryon uptown (yes, I've seen this in other cities...ahem, Orlando, looking at you!) or someone openly spouting some sexual innuendo in public. Yes, I'll flip the coin and talk about the other side too...I don't want to see hetero folks doing this either, no matter how attractive the woman may be, I don't want to explain to my little kid that she must have eaten some bad chili to make her pants have holes like that (or some other ridiculous lie).

Here's where I'll take a few steps forward into the controversial ring of fire...
This includes guys dressed like girls and/or other openly controversial or possibly confrontational behavior in public. If it makes others naturally uncomfortable from just the mere sight of it, it shoudln't happen in public.

As long as folks are blending in and not causing a ruccus, feel free to do whatever you want and be accepted wherever you go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte