Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to North Carolina: Charlotte, grocery delivery, online shopping, townhome, condo.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:10 PM

162 posts, read 849,661 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I really like the Charlotte area and it would be a good move for us financially as the houses are cheaper than here in CT. We are in our early 50's. Do you know of places around the Charlotte area that are good to live but also offer home grocery delivery services, and transit (for disabled) services? I know Charlotte has transit services but I can't seem to find any grocery store there that delivers groceries to one's home. Perhaps there is a planned community somewhere that has a small store etc? I can't drive anymore due to physical problems. My husband may need hip surgery so I want to be in a place that has services when I can't depend on him. We were thinking of the Huntersville, Concord, or Gastonia area, but will consider many others. Thanks very much!
Moderator cut: contact info in profile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 12:22 PM

201 posts, read 804,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecities View Post
Hi,

My husband and I really like the Charlotte area and it would be a good move for us financially as the houses are cheaper than here in CT. We are in our early 50's. Do you know of places around the Charlotte area that are good to live but also offer home grocery delivery services, and transit (for disabled) services? I know Charlotte has transit services but I can't seem to find any grocery store there that delivers groceries to one's home. Perhaps there is a planned community somewhere that has a small store etc? I can't drive anymore due to physical problems. My husband may need hip surgery so I want to be in a place that has services when I can't depend on him. We were thinking of the Huntersville, Concord, or Gastonia area, but will consider many others. Thanks very much!
Peasmailbox@aol.com

I'm sorry that I can't help you out, as I am new to the area myself. But, as a suggestion, you may want to also post this on the Charlotte forum as well.

I wish you the best, and if I hear of something, I will pass it along your way.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Most of Charlotte transit buses are Handicap accessible with buses that raise and lower with a ramp. they also have special transport services
Here a link for info on it
http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Riding+CATS/STS.htm (broken link)

Here is some grocery delivery services Berrybrook Farm

If an employee of the store lives near you, he or she may be able to deliver Berrybrook's organic produce, nutritional supplements, groceries, and other products to you on a very limited basis.

Love, INC
Free shopping and delivery of groceries from a retail store or Loaves and Fishes for those who have no other means of obtaining adequate food from other sources

Harris Teeter
online shopping (for pickup only) at specific stores.

Reid's Supermarket uptown
Call in your shopping list and Reid's will pick out and deliver the groceries to you. There is a charge for delivery Home delivery for certain zip codes with a service fee

Old 05-05-2007, 03:11 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,018 times
Sunshine -

You will not find these services in gastonia, you'd either have to pay someone to perform them for you or figure out a way on your own.
There is one BIG negative about Charlotte and Gastonia etc, they are cities where you need a car to function, the bus system is inadequate and I hate to think it could take all day just to get somewhere on the bus, as big as Charlotte is.

Good Luck with your journey. These are definitly services that need to be provided, but Gastonia seems to be 100 years behind Charlotte, which is also behind, etc. One a funny note, they do have a lady who will do bra fittings in your home. I saw her on the interstate when I was stuck in traffic.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Hi,

In Huntersville exit 23 they are building some either condo's or townhomes, they are in walking distance to 2 grocery stores, Presbyterian hospital and the bus line.

Does anyone know if those are going to be rentals or homes for sale? It's in the Market Square?

Any help out there for Sunshine? I'll go ride by and check in the mean time. I'm bored and I love to drive around here

Old 05-05-2007, 05:58 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,915,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
In Huntersville exit 23 they are building some either condo's or townhomes, they are in walking distance to 2 grocery stores, Presbyterian hospital and the bus line.

Does anyone know if those are going to be rentals or homes for sale? It's in the Market Square?

Any help out there for Sunshine? I'll go ride by and check in the mean time. I'm bored and I love to drive around here
There should be a good mixture; a lot of investors buy these up to rent them out. I agree, this is a great location for her, good call.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:28 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
they are in walking distance to 2 grocery stores,
What is in walking distance to one person is FAR out of reach to others. Most things are considered in "walking distance" if it's inside of a mile or so but some people can not walk 50-100 FEET without assistance.

Then you have the issue of carrying those groceries home after you buy them. That is why home delivery is a good idea for some.

sunshinecities, I suggest you use google to search for grocery stores that offer home delivery and then move within the delivery area of one. Either that or find a community that offers transport to the local shopping as part of their community offerings.

Oh, and if I were you I would edit out your email address here in your post to avoid spam bots reading it. Liz

Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Hi,

I just checked out the condos they are building at Market Square but they are not condos they are apartments. I did notice a townhouse developement right behind Market Square. The cutest place but they are multi-level. Is that a problem? You would have everything in walking distance that you would possible need in that area.
Also their is a very cute subdivision of houses on the corner it would be 4 tenths of a mile to the grocery store. I don't know if that's far for you to walk ot not. It didn't look far and the hospital and medical buildings are across the street, plus all the other retail going on there.

Here's a house for sale 13428 Mccoy Huntersville, very cute neighborhood. Maybe you could check it out on realtor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte