Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Seen The End Of Charlotte Trump Ending?
I seen it! 21 91.30%
It was a Surprise!! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 10:15 AM

415 posts, read 1,206,011 times

Advertisements

Sadly they have offically confirmed that Trump WILL NOT be building in Charlotte when I heard this of course it crushed me! I was really wanting it to work out! It was a beautiful tower(s). So who seen this coming? and who thinks it can be revived? also while it is on my mind who thinks or about how long do you think before the BOA tower is going to be 2nd tallest tower in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,160,566 times
Was there a rendering of this tower? I would like to see what it might have looked like.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:28 PM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Was there a rendering of this tower? I would like to see what it might have looked like.
Well, this tower NOT being built is somewhat "old" news. However, here is a link to what it was going to look like.
Trump Charlotte
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
It was a beautiful tower(s). So who seen this coming? and who thinks it can be revived? also while it is on my mind who thinks or about how long do you think before the BOA tower is going to be 2nd tallest tower in Charlotte?
I did see this coming, however I did not expect to see soooo much being stopped in Charlotte at once (I don't think anyone did). I personally don't think this project will be revived either. BofA will be Charlotte's tallest tower for at least the next 15 years IMO.

Right now, the Southeast as a whole is not doing too well. In booming cities like Atlanta and Miami, class A office vacancies are higher than places like Charlotte. I have always said that regions "boom" together and "bust" together. The Rust Belt is a perfect example of this theory. Virtually EVERY city in the rust belt boomed and busted at the same time. With that said, Charlotte will see another building boom 10 to 15 years after Atlanta and South Florida sees lower office vacancies. That will be a loooooong time folks.

What Charlotte should focus on is building up the city's infrastructure (ie, sustainable urban development, more light rail, better road grid, improving water to fast growing south Charlotte). Charlotte's building boom is over for the next 20 years IMO. However, the next 20 years is where Charlotte can mature as a "real" city!!! I personally couldn't care less about Charlotte building more skyscrapers (eventhough I LOVE a great skyline). Charlotte should improve upon its street level neighborhoods. I would like to see more neighborhoods like Dilworth, South End, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, 4th ward, 1st ward, etc instead of the cheap unwalkable suburban styled crappola this city seems to love.

Like I said, Charlotte needs to mature as a city and leave the skyscraper building to NYC or some other ego-driven city. Charlotte's skyline is fine for Charlotte's size. We need to work on Charlotte at the ground level now. If we did this, we would be the "Portland of the South". Our skyline is already better than Portland's BTW.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-02-2009 at 12:36 PM..

Old 10-02-2009, 01:41 PM

146 posts, read 472,129 times
Charlotte needs to bring in some shopping into the downtown area. After the workday is over, or on the weekends, it would be nice to go shopping downtown. Too many restaurants, not enough shopping.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:47 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,160,566 times
It reminds me of something out of Dubai.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,843,095 times
Quote:
Sadly they have offically confirmed that Trump WILL NOT be building in Charlotte when I heard this of course it crushed me! I was really wanting it to work out! It was a beautiful tower(s). So who seen this coming? and who thinks it can be revived? also while it is on my mind who thinks or about how long do you think before the BOA tower is going to be 2nd tallest tower in Charlotte?
I "saw" it coming. It happened in other cities around the same time. I believe that Trump still owns the lot, so I do believe that something is possible in the furture. I think that the BOA building will be the 2nd tallest in 10-12 years.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Yup sure was and even a website that is still up and running here is a rendering the tallest tower was supposed to stand 72 stories high the other i think around 35

here is the URL of Charlotte Trump Website

Trump Charlotte

Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
BofA will be Charlotte's tallest tower for at least the next 15 years IMO.
well I aint so sure Duke Energy Center came really close to being the same size as BOA

Quote:
What Charlotte should focus on is building up the city's infrastructure (ie, sustainable urban development, more light rail, better road grid, improving water to fast growing south Charlotte).
AGREED!!
Quote:
Charlotte's building boom is over for the next 20 years IMO.
Im not sure about that, Charlotte is the only cit in America to have a building boom from the ninteen ninties and still continuing, but maybe it will come to a halt, I HOPE NOT!!

Quote:
However, the next 20 years is where Charlotte can mature as a "real" city!!! I personally couldn't care less about Charlotte building more skyscrapers (eventhough I LOVE a great skyline). Charlotte should improve upon its street level neighborhoods. I would like to see more neighborhoods like Dilworth, South End, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, 4th ward, 1st ward, etc instead of the cheap unwalkable suburban styled crappola this city seems to love.
once again agreed!!

Quote:
Like I said, Charlotte needs to mature as a city and leave the skyscraper building to NYC or some other ego-driven city. Charlotte's skyline is fine for Charlotte's size. We need to work on Charlotte at the ground level now. If we did this, we would be the "Portland of the South". Our skyline is already better than Portland's BTW.
lol yeh it is but still, Charlotte . . . has always seen construction and when news like this breaks out to the public EVERYONE gets excitied! then when it's said its cancelled...everyone seems to get mad, and they look at other things to support so what do you think will be the next big thing to hit Charlotte?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:52 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,693,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Like I said, Charlotte needs to mature as a city and leave the skyscraper building to NYC or some other ego-driven city.
LOL at this. nyc already has everything you're talking about (very walkable, "sustainable urban development, a train system that is superior to any other city's train system, better road grid," etc.) so we can do things such as build large super talls. its not about ego, its about business.

also, charlotte should focus on becoming a better charlotte. charlotte doesn't need to try to be the next Portland, DC, Atlanta, etc. it needs to develop its own identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin-on08 View Post
Charlotte needs to bring in some shopping into the downtown area. After the workday is over, or on the weekends, it would be nice to go shopping downtown. Too many restaurants, not enough shopping.
this.^^^^

Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 AM

7,051 posts, read 12,265,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
LOL at this. nyc already has everything you're talking about (very walkable, "sustainable urban development, a train system that is superior to any other city's train system, better road grid," etc.) so we can do things such as build large super talls. its not about ego, its about business.
Um, first of all "eek", I was raised in Charlotte (yet born in Flushing). My mother grew up in East Orange. I am very familiar with NYC and its mentality. I stand by my statements. Charlotte should focus more on building itself as a "real city" and leave the skyscraper building to "real cities" (like NYC) that have big egos. It is as simple as that.
Quote:
lol yeh it is but still, Charlotte . . . has always seen construction and when news like this breaks out to the public EVERYONE gets excitied! then when it's said its cancelled...everyone seems to get mad, and they look at other things to support so what do you think will be the next big thing to hit Charlotte?
Maturity as a city (and everything that comes with maturity).

In other words, Charlotte is MUCH larger than it acts and is recognized nationally for. Most folks from other parts of the Nation are SHOCKED when they come to Charlotte for the first time. Few folks (from outside of the South) expect to see a city like Charlotte in North Carolina of all places (and near South Carolina at that). In time, people will no longer be surprised by Charlotte. When this happens, Charlotte will begin to get treated for what it is (a medium-large US city) rather than what it is perceived to be (another "down south" city with little going on).

Mature cities that are comparable sized to Charlotte (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Milwaukee) all have baseball teams (hint, hint ). That will be Charlotte's next "big thing". North Carolina is currently the Nation's largest state without baseball nearby. Charlotte is currently the Nation's largest CSA without a MLB team within 50 miles of its border. MLB will happen in Charlotte, and I think 2015 will be the year.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-06-2009 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte