Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who Seen The End Of Charlotte Trump Ending?
I seen it! 21 91.30%
It was a Surprise!! 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Um, first of all "geek", I was raised in Charlotte (yet born in Flushing). My mother grew up in East Orange. I am very familiar with NYC and its mentality.
how childish.

first off, just because your mother grew up outside of nyc, and in another state, doesn't mean that you know nyc or its mentality, trust me. so you visited nyc a few times since your birth. wow.

Quote:
I stand by my statements. Charlotte should focus more on building itself as a "real city" and leave the skyscraper building to "real cities" (like NYC) that have big egos. It is as simple as that.
i agree that charlotte should focus more on building itself but it should worry less about trying to be the next ______ (and yes, this includes Portland). Charlotte needs its own identity.

i like how you added the ego part to NYC (and other major cities), as if we build skyscrapers to satisfy our egos. please. thats the problem with people that aren't familiar with the "ny mentality." they don't understand that its about business first. we don't care about ego nearly as much as we care about business and money. there is a purpose for each super tall in manhattan. they generate money. ego is very secondary.

we are very proud of our city for a reason. our city should be (and has been) a blueprint for many, including yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 09:01 AM

370 posts, read 753,095 times
I did not 'see' it coming...

I am not sure who 'saw' the Charlotte Trump Towers coming to an end.

(I am sorry, my OCD could not let it go)

Old 10-06-2009, 10:50 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
how childish.

first off, just because your mother grew up outside of nyc, and in another state, doesn't mean that you know nyc or its mentality, trust me. so you visited nyc a few times since your birth. wow.
Correction. She grew up in East Orange, and lived near Riverside Drive as an adult (waaaaaay back in the days of rent control) for MANY years before moving down south to Charlotte. I grew up with a proud New Yorker that could not stand Charlotte up until the day that she died (however, she tolerated this city because it was what she could afford after her divorce from my dad and it was a safer city for me to grow up in). How many New Yorkers can relate to this story? I have a half brother and sister in Brooklyn that practically live in and out of jail. I have never been arrested BTW.

The bottom line is that your foolish attempts to educate me (or any other person) on the NYC/Charlotte difference is just plain stupid. I have no clue how old you are, but my guess is that my mother was a MUCH older New Yorker than you (and she had to put up with the Charlotte of the early 80s). So to me, a New Yorker of today complaining about the Charlotte of today is just plain silly. Point, blank, period. You have NO CLUE what type of backwards-country-hick town earlier transplants (like my mother) had to put up with. You just don't.

Getting back to the topic at hand. Charlotte certainly needs to add more flavor and big city thinking (and no "eek", I am not talking about "dollar taxis" either). Charlotte needs to be thinking about putting light rail throughout the city (at least 50 miles of rail would be a good start). Streetcars are "old school" and won't do squat to promote fast mass transit.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
Quote:
Charlotte needs to be thinking about putting light rail throughout the city (at least 50 miles of rail would be a good start). Streetcars are "old school" and won't do squat to promote fast mass transit.
i agree with this.^^^^^^^^^^

Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
Im not sure about that, Charlotte is the only cit in America to have a building boom from the ninteen ninties and still continuing, but maybe it will come to a halt, I HOPE NOT!!
This is very inaccurate. For one, Miami's building boom absolutely dwarfs Charlotte's. Many other cities have undergone building booms as well, such as Chicago, Atlanta, Austin, etc.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,553,309 times
I seen it!

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM

415 posts, read 1,210,408 times
Quote:
Um, first of all "eek", I was raised in Charlotte (yet born in Flushing). My mother grew up in East Orange. I am very familiar with NYC and its mentality. I stand by my statements. Charlotte should focus more on building itself as a "real city" and leave the skyscraper building to "real cities" (like NYC) that have big egos. It is as simple as that.

Maturity as a city (and everything that comes with maturity).

In other words, Charlotte is MUCH larger than it acts and is recognized nationally for. Most folks from other parts of the Nation are SHOCKED when they come to Charlotte for the first time. Few folks (from outside of the South) expect to see a city like Charlotte in North Carolina of all places (and near South Carolina at that). In time, people will no longer be surprised by Charlotte. When this happens, Charlotte will begin to get treated for what it is (a medium-large US city) rather than what it is perceived to be (another "down south" city with little going on).

Mature cities that are comparable sized to Charlotte (Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Milwaukee) all have baseball teams (hint, hint ). That will be Charlotte's next "big thing". North Carolina is currently the Nation's largest state without baseball nearby. Charlotte is currently the Nation's largest CSA without a MLB team within 50 miles of its border. MLB will happen in Charlotte, and I think 2015 will be the year.
yeh MLB is the only sport Charlotte is missing it would be nice but i aint a baseball fan my philosophy about baseball has always been "hit the ball and run like hell" lol

Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 AM
am2

413 posts, read 856,619 times
From what I heard Trump still owns the lad and that the project is on indefinite hold.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,213,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am2 View Post
From what I heard Trump still owns the lad and that the project is on indefinite hold.
If you are talking about Charlotte, Trump never purchased land here for the project. Forgetting this was never an announced project, the rumor was that Trump tried to buy some land from one of the better known people downtown who would not sell at Trump's price and this delayed the project. Of course the economic house of cards started to fall shortly after that and Trump got hugely distracted by his very similar project in Chicago which had a lot of trouble.

My guess is the person who had that land is now kicking himself up and down Tryon St. for not taking Trump's offer because he most likely will never get an offer like that, if it existed, ever again.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:12 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
It was no surprise to me. At the end, the project was being turned over to one of his kids who said he or she had friends in Charlotte and would like to do the project here. As far as I know, he still owns the land that Bill Deal tried to keep Trump from acquiring. I believe it was across from the new Ghant Museum on whatever street it is that runs off of Tryon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte