Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 PM

80 posts, read 238,931 times

Advertisements

I have been looking and looking and looking for land. We are looking in Gaston, Eastern Lincoln and Southern Iredell County. I've expanded my search to parts of Rowan and Cabarrus as well. My husband works in North Charlotte so he can't have a super long commute. I've exhausted Mls talked with 100 realtors, drove endless miles hoping for a fsbo sign-nothing.
Everything is either so expensive you can't touch it or it has a ton of restrictions. We would like to build a home and have a small scale organic farm.(small meaning 2-6 acres)...
Are we looking in the wrong areas? I looked again in Lincoln co. this morning and there were 15 pages of land for sale in our price range-99% have restrictions not one under contract. Could it be that what we desire is the norm now and those properties if they do come up get snatched quickly.
You would think land developers and owners would get smart and see the trend for small scale farms and change there restrictions..maybe some would go under contract...
Should we just give up and move into a subdivision? Is there an area I've yet to look that would be a good area to check out?
Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,046 times
Why not try Union county? To be honest you are looking for something I know very little about BUT regarding commuting time if you were to find something in Union your commute would be under an hour depending on the exact locations. Plus looking forward to when they have 485 finished your commute might be even less.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,728 times
seems like going up 16 , in the lucia area there should be some small farms.
that would be in lincoln county, i think?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:25 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,748 times
Never give up.

What are the restrictions on the land you've seen so far?

Old 10-16-2009, 05:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,138,312 times
There are still some good deals on land near Ellenboro and Bostic NC. Note To find anything that is commutable to Charlotte will be expensive. People have been trying to do what you are are about 15 years ahead of you.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM

The restrictions I found have been livestock restrictions mostly. It doesn't bother me to have min square foot restrictions because we are planning to build a fairly large home..but it seems they all have livestock restrictions...

Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleblessings View Post
I have been looking and looking and looking for land. We are looking in Gaston, Eastern Lincoln and Southern Iredell County. I've expanded my search to parts of Rowan and Cabarrus as well. My husband works in North Charlotte so he can't have a super long commute. I've exhausted Mls talked with 100 realtors, drove endless miles hoping for a fsbo sign-nothing.
Everything is either so expensive you can't touch it or it has a ton of restrictions. We would like to build a home and have a small scale organic farm.(small meaning 2-6 acres)...
Are we looking in the wrong areas? I looked again in Lincoln co. this morning and there were 15 pages of land for sale in our price range-99% have restrictions not one under contract. Could it be that what we desire is the norm now and those properties if they do come up get snatched quickly.
You would think land developers and owners would get smart and see the trend for small scale farms and change there restrictions..maybe some would go under contract...
Should we just give up and move into a subdivision? Is there an area I've yet to look that would be a good area to check out?
Any help would be appreciated.
Are you aware of the state's requirements to be classified as a farm? The state has requirements & the counties also have requirements.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 AM

I don't want a farm to make money on..just some private land to have some chickens for eggs for our family, maybe a horse and some goats...

Old 10-17-2009, 10:07 AM

1,638 posts, read 4,549,424 times
Quote:
I don't want a farm to make money on..just some private land to have some chickens for eggs for our family, maybe a horse and some goats...
I can't believe that lots over 2 acres outside subdivisions have livestock restrictions.I am not saying that you're wrong, but just can't believe it.

We looked at places in Midland area that had horses, admittedly they also had houses on them!
Can I ask what your price range is?

Old 10-17-2009, 03:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
I understand this, but I am telling you that you have to check the state & county regulations.

I am interested in getting 2 of one particular animal that is classified as livestock. I live in Cleveland County. There are 2 ways that I can do it. I can buy a house on 10 acres or I can buy property that is grandfathered to have livestock from prior to the enactment of the current regulation.

Also, FYI, 10 acres is the minimum size to be recognized as a farm in NC. There is also a minimum income from the land for that classification, but that's for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte