U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:53 PM

7,126 posts, read 10,722,155 times

Advertisements

Let's face it and look at the positive . Is there not 88-90% employment? What do these people work at and how/why were they so "lucky" to hold on to their jobs?

Why were the 10-12% let go? Was it their industry? Over staff? Politics inter-company or . . .?

Is there a way one can use this thought process to gain employment??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM

21,093 posts, read 26,735,206 times
Is 100% employment a reality?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Don't know. Only searching here for some answers.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 PM

9,115 posts, read 16,639,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Let's face it and look at the positive . Is there not 88-90% employment? What do these people work at and how/why were they so "lucky" to hold on to their jobs?

Why were the 10-12% let go? Was it their industry? Over staff? Politics inter-company or . . .?

There is not 88-90% employment.

The 9.8% (or whatever the # is) is the "official" government # on employment, however like everything else if you just stop at the headline and dont get into the details of that # (like you've done) then you are misled.

What the "official" govt # doesn't include is 1. part time workers looking for full time jobs, people who can't collect unemployment because they are self employed (and might have lost a job), and also those people who are discouraged and have stopped looking. This would be included in the true government "U-6" # which is around 17% right now...

check this one of many links for an explanation.

Unemployment Charts (Not Pretty) | The Big Picture

also Pink, you made no mention of people who have had their salaries cut or who are furloughed....(which is a huge reality in my line of business.)

So your 88-90% is truly bogus which is why I always dig deeper into headlines and give my reasons on C/D for practically any topic.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:00 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,789,149 times
Agree with Coupon. You just have to go straight to the BLS to get the true picture of unemployment.
Table A-12. Alternative measures of labor underutilization

Imagine though they started saying on the news the real number which is 17%. It's quite a scary number!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:04 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,789,149 times
Quote:

I wonder how they choose which people to let go also. I've been lucky enough to hang on to my job so far. I think it's either because a) I was a better performer at my job or b) I was the lower paid one. Not really sure. I always wished I could have asked my former coworkers how much they were getting paid.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 AM

Coupon Jack: Take any number you want and try to think about the same couple of questions I presented. I'm not hear to debate a stat, mearly to look at how one might think outside the box to find work.

I am fully aware of the dire situation with UE and at the same time the fustrations ppl.have with getting work. That includes any type of work...so maybe we can promote some ideas with any open mind/forum.

Hey, I'm only trying, don't shoot the messenger. lol

Old 10-26-2009, 05:54 AM

4,010 posts, read 9,545,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheenie2000 View Post
I wonder how they choose which people to let go also. I've been lucky enough to hang on to my job so far. I think it's either because a) I was a better performer at my job or b) I was the lower paid one. Not really sure. I always wished I could have asked my former coworkers how much they were getting paid.
Of course it is going to vary by employer but I can tell you how the very large corporations do it. This assumes no collective bargaining arrangement.

1. The corporate bean counters will be asked about labor VS costs. They will produce simple reports that say if you cut X% in this area it will result in Y% savings. Savings = (employee costs) - (layoff costs)
  2. Management reviews these reports and decides to make cuts in certain areas. Other areas will be exempt though this might be excluded if profit goals are high.
  3. The management in these areas will be told to cut X% of their employees. Start drawing up the lists of people that will have to go. This mandate will filter down to the 2nd line or functional level.
  4. In order to keep out of hot water in terms of being accused of discrimination on any number of fronts, management will first create "buckets". The buckets will be based on some kind of skill. HR will provide guidelines.
  5. People will then be placed in these buckets regardless of age, race, gender, etc. These buckets have to be approved by HR.
  6. Management simply empties each bucket to the prescribed level. Who gets poured out is decided by the 1st & 2nd line management.
  7. They will review this list to make sure there are no issues they might have to contend with, and might make substitutions within the bucket. Generally HR will not allow them to move people between buckets. Some buckets can be deemed no layoffs and can contain only one person. As long as they do it by skill bucket and not any other criteria, then they are going to be safe. Note that these buckets don't respect dept. boundaries.
  8. Their list gets sent upstream and is OK'd by higher management. This management only looks at the numbers because they won't know the people. They rubber stamp it OK.
  9. HR reviews the list based on criteria to make sure they can't be accused of discrimination based on federal criteria.
  10. 1st line management told to tell these people to go.
Many very large companies are very good at this these days. I know of a case of a large company that operates in Charlotte, they simply call the employee on the phone, tell them they are laid off, and don't come in. They will receive further instructions by (e)mail.

Of course if there is a collective bargaining arrangement, then management will have to layoff based on the terms of the agreement they signed with the Union.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:19 AM

9,115 posts, read 16,639,536 times
Quote:
Coupon Jack: Take any number you want and try to think about the same couple of questions I presented. I'm not hear to debate a stat, mearly to look at how one might think outside the box to find work.

I am fully aware of the dire situation with UE and at the same time the fustrations ppl.have with getting work. That includes any type of work...so maybe we can promote some ideas with any open mind/forum.

Hey, I'm only trying, don't shoot the messenger. lol
I understand what you're asking, but since your numbers were way off I had to make sure other posters knew that the # was way worse than what you presented.

Lumbollo summed it up IMO pretty well for a large corporation. Sometimes the 1st line manager has zero input on who is the next cut based on the criteria upper mgmt gives him/her.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM

1,164 posts, read 2,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Is 100% employment a reality?
No. The "Natural Rate" of unemployment is ~4%. If you wish to know what that means, use Google or take Econ 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte