Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 45,765 times

Advertisements

Hi, I had a thread going before but I've come up with some new specifics and questions! If you can help at all I will completely appreciate it!

We (being my husband, two kids, and I) really like the Lake Norman area mostly because we are big water people! I'm originally from Michigan and lived on a lake and now live in Florida, where obviously there too is water. We aren't very familiar with any of the specific towns around the area (we visited Charlotte once for a day with friends), and I know we won't really know it until we visit but I would love some input so we know where to start!

So we're looking for towns and even more, neighborhoods in those towns you would recommend that are around Lake Norman. From what I've seen, I like Huntersville, but I'm open to all suggestions! We would like to live some what close to a hospital because that is where I will *hopefully* be employed! I'd like to keep the commute under 20 minutes, preferably. As far as neighborhoods go, we would love one that is close to a park. This is not a must, but a definite bonus! Decent schools, family-friendly, close to shopping and dining, you get the jist.

We like neighborhoods where the lots are good-sized, a sidewalk would be awesome, and hopefully some good trees (by this I mean we are not really interested in those brand new neighborhoods where they cleared out every single tree!)

Our price range would be up to $250,000.

So here's a little summary if you didn't want to read all that:
  • Close to Lake Norman
  • Town suggestions? Neighborhoods in those towns?
  • Close to a hospital, parks, shopping and dining
  • Willing to spend up to $250,000

Thank you so much! I can't wait to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,288,159 times
If you can afford Davidson (and I think you can on that budget) and if you don't NEED to work in Charlotte, then go with Davidson. It's a village/small town...doesn't feel suburban the way Cornelius and Huntersville can. Good schools, very pedestrian village, kind of quirky and unique, and then you have the bonus of being close to Cornelius and Huntersville to the south and Mooresville to the north. West of the interstate (in Davidson at Exit 30), it's mostly waterfront condos. The "town" is east of the interstate.

That whole NorthMeck area (Huntersville/Cornelius/Davidson) will hit all the bullet points you're wanting: hospital, dining, the lake, parks.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 AM

15 posts, read 45,765 times
Thank you for the recommendation! Do you have any neighborhood suggestions in Davidson?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,418,383 times
How close to the lake do you want to be? Do you want to be near Lake Norman specifically? I think you could also be near Mountain Island Lake and be 20 minutes from the hospital in Huntersville.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,158,789 times
Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson would all meet those needs. Probably easier to find 250K neighborhoods in Huntersville because it is larger than the other two. Look at the neighborhoods along W. Gilead Rd. Also part of Birkdale has homes in this price range. Any of these would be right by two very nice public boat landings for the lake and there are plenty of private marinas if you want to go that route also. (The marinas dry dock your boat, you call ahead tell them you want to go to the lake, they put it in the water and have it waiting for you when you show up.)

Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM

58 posts, read 169,616 times
Check out Caldwell Station in Cornelius. You can build a new one in that price range.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:27 PM

25 posts, read 33,118 times
Default Carrington Ridge in Huntersville

I just moved out of Carrington Ridge due to a job change. However, it is approx 3 miles to Presbyterian Hospital Huntersville, 2 miles to public lake access, and walking distance to a community soccer park as well as walking distance to both elementary and middle schools. Homes in the neighborhood range from $209 to approx $289, and are made to look like craftsman style homes of the 20s. You're also in a much lower tax rate in Huntersville than in Davidson, whcih is known for its charm but also comes with a hefty pricetag and very restrictive HOAs. You may want to check out as I know of a ranch in the neighborhood that is listed at $215 and measures approx 2300 sq ft and has hardwoods in all the common areas.

Good luck and welcome to NC.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,532,137 times
Hi
If good schools are important then I would check out Mooresville.Zip code 28117 is nearest the Lake ie West of I77. This is Iredell county and has lower taxes. Lots of mature neighborhoods with trees galore
You could get something in a water access community on a good lot, possibly v close to golf course too)
Only thing is lack of park, but there is a great YMCA and many neighborhoods are very quiet trafficwise.
Nearest hospital is Lake Norman Regional Medical center, and next would be Presbyterian in Huntersville.
Carolinas Healthcare has a hospital in Concord (Carolinas Northeast), but that would be a 30min (easy)drive.

We have just moved into Mooresville from England. If you need specifics re neighborhoods just DM me.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:05 PM

279 posts, read 883,343 times
I would look into the east side of Mooresville.Easy commute to Lake Norman Regional or Northeast Medical. Parks galore including the new one on Mazeppa Rd. Older established neighborhoods or new abound! Some very nice choices for your budget. Also, you can live outside the city limits in some areas and still attend Mooresville City Schools. I would suggest asking a realtor in the area to send you some info. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,352,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchunter View Post
I would look into the east side of Mooresville.Easy commute to Lake Norman Regional or Northeast Medical. Parks galore including the new one on Mazeppa Rd. Older established neighborhoods or new abound! Some very nice choices for your budget. Also, you can live outside the city limits in some areas and still attend Mooresville City Schools. I would suggest asking a realtor in the area to send you some info. Good luck!
I agree! Great Schools in the MGSD (Mooresville Graded School District) & nice homes in your price range. Remember, the closer you are to the water, the higher the price of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte