Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
vbg vbg started this thread

35 posts, read 109,730 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Next Monday UNCC will start H1N1 immunization for students only:
http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/resources/pdfs/H1N1%20Vaccines.pdf (broken link)

We all know that there are two kinds of 2009 H1N1 vaccines being produced: a H1N1 flu shoot that is given with a needle, usually in the arm; and the H1N1 nasal spray flu vaccine given via a nasal sprayer. UNCC has both types. Almost all UNCC students will receive nasal spray.

According to this document:
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...inact-h1n1.pdf
groups recommended to receive H1N1 vaccine first include
1) Pregnant women 2) People who live with or care for infants younger than 6 months of age 3) Health care and emergency medical personnel 4) Anyone from 6 months through 24 years of age 5) Anyone from 25 through 64 years of age with certain chronic medical conditions or a weakened immune system.

Today we have a highly unpleasant telephone conversation with UNCC Health Center. I asked them about possibility to get shot instead of mist. But they said "No. Only mist". We have 2 month baby-girl at home.

p.s. Even FluMist’s own package insert reads as follows, “FluMist® recipients should avoid close contact with immunocompromised individuals for at least
21 days.” I thought infants (<6 months) are immunocompromised! Right?
There are a possibility of shedding vaccine virus given the close proximity of a nursing mother and her infant.

May be, somebody can give us good advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:12 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,190,813 times
If you are uncomfortable seek the advice of your primary care physician.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Thank you! But... my primary care physician is UNCC Health Center! p.s. We are students.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,798,569 times
I would print out the info and take it with you to show them. You may have an arguement and you may not prevail, but at least give it a try!

Old 10-29-2009, 05:37 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Exclamation Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbg View Post
Hi All,

http://www.publicrelations.uncc.edu/resources/pdfs/H1N1%20Vaccines.pdf (broken link)

We all know that there are two kinds of 2009 H1N1 vaccines being produced: a H1N1 flu shoot that is given with a needle, usually in the arm; and the H1N1 nasal spray flu vaccine given via a nasal sprayer. UNCC has both types. Almost all UNCC students will receive nasal spray.

1) Pregnant women 2) People who live with or care for infants younger than 6 months of age 3) Health care and emergency medical personnel 4) Anyone from 6 months through 24 years of age 5) Anyone from 25 through 64 years of age with certain chronic medical conditions or a weakened immune system.

Today we have a highly unpleasant telephone conversation with UNCC Health Center. I asked them about possibility to get shot instead of mist. But they said "No. Only mist". We have 2 month baby-girl at home.

p.s. Even FluMist’s own package insert reads as follows, “FluMist® recipients should avoid close contact with immunocompromised individuals for at least
There are a possibility of shedding vaccine virus given the close proximity of a nursing mother and her infant.

DON'T take "the advise" of anyone other than a doctor on this issue!
The method of medication of this vaccine is extremly important depending on your health status. Ex; My immunne system is comprised due to a health problem I had some years ago. There is only one way I can get the vaccine---as prescibed by my internist. The alternative way spells disaster for me.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:17 AM

616 posts, read 1,750,798 times
Here is an FDA link - see 8.3 as relating to FluMist for nursing Moms. Don't make your decision from this, but perhaps you can use this when you call back to see what the alternatives are.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologi.../ucm182406.pdf

Old 10-29-2009, 08:37 AM

339 posts, read 715,331 times
It is possible they will only have the flumist at that time.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,289 times
I took the shot at UNCC today because I am pg. According to my doctor, the reason that they do not want high risk patients to take the nasal spray is because it is "live" and there is a "chance" that you could actually come down with the flu. And if you come down with the flu, you may pass it on to others.

So here is the kicker. What is your chance of actually coming down with the flu from the vaccine? What do you consider a reasonable risk?

As far as UNCC, I would go down and talk to the ladies in the clinic. They are very knowledgeable and understanding. I don't know who you spoke to on the phone. They have a very limited number of the shots and there is a priority ranking in terms of high risk. I don't think it is about you shedding the virus, I think it is more about your chances of coming down with the flu and passing it on as a result of the vaccine.

HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbg View Post
Hi All,

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baybook View Post
I took the shot at UNCC today because I am pg. According to my doctor, the reason that they do not want high risk patients to take the nasal spray is because it is "live" and there is a "chance" that you could actually come down with the flu. And if you come down with the flu, you may pass it on to others.
Congratulations!

In Monday they will give nasal spray to all our students, and some of them will "actually come down with the flu"! Too bad!!!

Unpleasant telephone conversation yesterday I had. But today I called again to Emily Steward (Associate Director of Clinical Services), and she solved this problem in seconds! We got H1N1 shots without thimerosal.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-15-2014 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: privacy request

Old 10-29-2009, 02:55 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,130,775 times
you can get the flu anyway, whether you get the vaccination or not, in any manner you receive it. the virus in the flumist is "cold" and won't live if it gets into your body where it is warmer anyway. so much bad information out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte