Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:15 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,735 times

Advertisements

I can speak to the issue from the Union County perspective. It is the principal
s choice to implement uniforms. Weddington Middle School is splitting mid year, and our new principal has allowed a vote to take place. It will be interesting to see what the parents vote for. It will take 65% in favor of uniforms to have it pass at the new Marvin Ridge Middle School in Union County.
I personally voted against the uniforms, due to the irrational implementation procedures on the part of the school we are at now.
Our principal imposes strange rules at dances, makes them up as she goes. At a recent 8th grade dance, there were girls all over the dance in cocktail like dresses. They were fine. It was the boy in blue jeans that she targetted. She has a thing against shorts and jeans. Sinful clothing!
The highschools don't have uniforms, but do have dress codes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 07:24 PM

This is another piece of culture that is important for parents to understand. How punitive is the school culture? What battles does the administration see as priority? What punishments will they dole out to enforce rules? How does this impact your child?

Old 07-20-2006, 07:48 PM

477 posts, read 1,582,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weis02
The ones that I researched do, I imagine it depends where you are, I only looked at the schools at which I may consider to be in the area. I do not know if the elementary level has them, it appears to be more in the middle and high school levels....if you go to a particular schools website, they have the dress codes in there.. I do not have a problem with a dress code, but unless there is a uniform (like many private cath schools have) but I think the consequences are a little much.

Would you mind telling me what area you will be looking at when you go for your visit??

Old 08-05-2006, 10:19 AM

I just got a letter in the mail. New restrictions to the Weddington Middle School uniform. I really think that the principal is over the top. Wonder if this is normal in other places.
In addition to the strict uniform that is enforced to the nth degree, our children are now not allowed to have non uniform colored outerwear on during the day, to include changing classes to trailers, or to wear during recess. Any coats that are not the school colors must be put in a locker and not worn until the end of the day. Of course, more punishments have been added to the equation as well.
Does any other public school have this many rules in regard to uniforms?
Also, the children are not going to be allowed to wear booster club sport uniforms on game days, a priviledge that has been a great tradition.
Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 AM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
In NJ, as long as you are properly covered, You can wear whatever you choose. Heelie's are not allowed in school. for those not familiar with them they are wheels inside your kid's sneaker. I will also add no profanity on clothing, naked people on clothing, no ripped clothing where half your body is hanging out. We're not too liberal are we? I know we talked about this before but I forgot some things, Is this just Union County? What about Wake County? same dress codes. Same mindset?

Old 08-05-2006, 12:17 PM

336 posts, read 512,897 times
Uniforms might not be so bad in my opinion. When I was in school clothing was just another thing for the poor kids to be teased about. Anybody whose parents could not afford to buy them the newest $100 jeans and whatever else was trendy at the time was pretty much an outcast. I remember one of those kids shooting himself in the head with a shotgun after school in 10th grade. He was teased constantly about his clothes since elementary school.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:11 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
I don't even buy myself $100 jeans I shop at Kohls ( when they have a good sale) target and stores like that. I myself went to catholic school untill 8th grade and I wore the ugliest green plaid uniform. I remember hating to be seen wearing it in front of the "public school kids"

Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Uh oh! This definitely makes me reconsider Weddington schools. Are ALL Union County and Iredell County schools like this, or only some? What about Mooresville Schools?

Old 08-05-2006, 02:57 PM

311 posts, read 618,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc
Uh oh! This definitely makes me reconsider Weddington schools. Are ALL Union County and Iredell County schools like this, or only some? What about Mooresville Schools?
This is not too different from most schools.....times have changed and with the violence that has gone on in schools, rules have to be changed also. Check out Weddington Middle School website for more info.
www.wdms.ucps.k12.nc.us/dresscode (broken link) (I think that is right, if not google it!) It sounds pretty straightforward to me. You get two warnings if you don't follow dress code, then punishment afterwards....and the punishment seems to fit the "crime."
I personally think rules are good. Having to abide by the rules is also good. Society now seems to think rules are just suggestions and that they never apply to "them" just others.
My child had a dress code similar to this. No problem. In fact, it helped in not having to make choices. You have a list, you go by the list.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:09 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
This is not too different from most schools.....times have changed and with the violence that has gone on in schools, rules have to be changed also. Check out Weddington Middle School website for more info.
www.wdms.ucps.k12.nc.us/dresscode (broken link) (I think that is right, if not google it!) It sounds pretty straightforward to me. You get two warnings if you don't follow dress code, then punishment afterwards....and the punishment seems to fit the "crime."
I personally think rules are good. Having to abide by the rules is also good. Society now seems to think rules are just suggestions and that they never apply to "them" just others.
My child had a dress code similar to this. No problem. In fact, it helped in not having to make choices. You have a list, you go by the list.
I have to politely disagree. I read the dress code/uniform policy on the Weddington Middle School website and was shocked. Especially by this:

Bottoms:

cannot sag or be baggy in the seat

Ok so what if your kid has a flat butt Are they going to feel up your kid to make sure their pants aren't too baggy? And like the PP mentioned, now they are going to require outerwear in school colors???? That is CRAZINESS. I am in the Wake County school district now and while they had certain dress code guidelines, they didn't mention anything about how loose my children's clothing could or couldn't be in the butt area Sounds to me like the principal of the Weddington Middle School might have been better off teaching boot camp

I am glad this thread popped up, because Weddington is definitely now OFF the list of places to consider. I will be curious to hear about Mooresville/Iredell-Statesville schools as we are looking at this area as well.

I don't have a problem with uniforms, but the example of Weddington Middle and how militant they are about the dress code sounds like a place I would not want to be sending my kids!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte