Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 11:09 AM

293 posts, read 958,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
Miker,
The Weddington Middle School Dress Code can be viewed at:
http://wdms.ucps.k12.nc.us/dresscode.htm (broken link)

You can go to the District site www.ucps.k12.nc.us, and click on each school to see the different policies school by school.
My daughter will be at Weddington for the first half of the year, with the Nazi like rules, then we switch to Marvin Ridge, which will not have a uniform.
Crazy. I think the District should set the rules, not have each principal make them up as they desire. But this District is like that, the rules are vague and change all the time.
And you have to worry about the punishments too. They vary school by school, based on the style of the principal. Check out the District's policy on the allowed punishments. You may be surprised to see what is still allowed here.
Hi Peg,
I know that they are re-districting kids form Weddington, but when will that begin?? In the middle of the year? We have a friend who's daughter is starting Weddington Middle this year & she will then be assigned to Sun Valley Middle. At least Sun Valley doesn't have a uniform, just a dress code. She also has a daughter starting at Wesley Chapel elem, but I think they will stay the whole year then switch to Elem"I"(or "H") next school year. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2006, 05:01 PM

311 posts, read 618,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4
You won't see the rule about the new cap sleeve shirt in writing. That would be made up rule number one of 2006. More to come.
Where is the "made up rule number one of 2006" listed or how do you find out about it?

Old 08-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
Just a little FYI, I know it's TX not NC but interesting.

Arlington Texas new dress code for girls.

Texas School District Bans Cleavage

The new dress code reads, in part, “The display of cleavage is unacceptable. Low cut blouses, tops, sweaters, etc. with plunging necklines are not allowed."

“It's gotten bad enough that, unfortunately, our young males are looking at more than their English book, their speech book, their science book,” “And it's kind of nice to have something left to the imagination.”
Good point, nascarnancy!

This is why I think some type of dress code/uniform should be inforced. I know what some of the kids wore here in Johnston County before dress codes were inforced and it was not appropriate. I can't imagine parents letting their kids go to school dressed as some were dressed but they are some of the same parents that disagreed the most at meetings when dress codes were discussed. The idea that "anything goes" from some people have prompted the need for guidelines. I believe in individual rights but when they are pushed to the point that it creates problems in the education process (which is why they are in school in the first place) for the kids that are there for an education, then that problem has to be addressed.

Old 08-06-2006, 05:14 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,097 times
I'm so glad my kids are still little. They dont have anything (yet) that could hang out.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
I'm so glad my kids are still little. They dont have anything (yet) that could hang out.
Good thinking, patty nj....now how do you keep them little (But I know what you mean)

Old 08-07-2006, 01:14 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitney
Where is the "made up rule number one of 2006" listed or how do you find out about it?
The rules change all the time, and not all of it gets in writing. So parents and students are never quite sure what is currently enforced.
I was pro uniform, and still am, but this school administrator has taken it overboard. I don't think we need to have children restricted to what color coats can be worn on the playground.

Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM

285 posts, read 1,090,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04
Hi Peg,
I know that they are re-districting kids form Weddington, but when will that begin?? In the middle of the year? We have a friend who's daughter is starting Weddington Middle this year & she will then be assigned to Sun Valley Middle. At least Sun Valley doesn't have a uniform, just a dress code. She also has a daughter starting at Wesley Chapel elem, but I think they will stay the whole year then switch to Elem"I"(or "H") next school year. Thanks.
My child will move to Marvin Ridge Middle School in January, if completed on time.
The parents there voted for a dress code, not uniforms.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:00 PM

336 posts, read 512,995 times
Another reason for dress codes.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...45771309014482

Old 08-20-2006, 06:19 PM

164 posts, read 353,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegmomof4 View Post
I was pro uniform, and still am, but this school administrator has taken it overboard. I don't think we need to have children restricted to what color coats can be worn on the playground.
I am also pro uniform, but this does seem over the top. My kids currently go to Catholic school, and they can wear any coat they like. When I went to Catholic school, I also could wear any coat that I wanted. And when my mother went to Catholic school (when it was all girl, the nuns taught Latin, and they disciplined with rulers) she could wear any coat she wanted.

If we end up at Weddington, I'll play along with the dress code because I'm used to it. But these rules are the most stringent I have ever seen.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Default relocating to NC

Can anyone give me some info on the Weddington Middle School, relocating to NC 2007 and would appreciate any input. Also developments in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte