Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 AM

928 posts, read 3,850,915 times

Advertisements

Any tips for a recent grad seeking a teaching job?

Attended the job fairs and they were very impersonal and basically like a meat market for the masses. If Charlotte has such a need for teachers, what is the 'in' for getting one of these jobs? Is it still too early in the process to be concerned? All advice and tips appreciated. The subject area would be elementary school, prefer k-3.

Thanks guys and gals!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 07:00 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,051 times
Not sure what your experience or qualifications are but I know my wife only sent out one resume and had a phone call the following day with an interview the following week, and was offered the job that same day. She does have 5years teaching experience so not sure if that has anything to do with it, but this seems to be the case with most people I know who have applied for teaching jobs with prior experience. Now if only I could land a job so easily I would be super psyched about the upcoming move. By the way Good Luck wit hthe job search.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
I have a friend who felt like she was spinning her wheels trying to get a job in CMS.

She finally called the human resources department and asked who was in charge of the music department and spoke directly to that person. She had a job within a couple of weeks.

I think CMS is very disorganized in their hiring. My understanding is that the jobs listed are the tip of the iceburg and that there are many, many jobs NOT posted.

You may have to do your own legwork, call schools you are interested in (or email) and ask if they have any openings. You may have to make lots of copies of your resume and start getting them to the specific schools you want instead of waiting for the district to get a hold of you.

Dawn

Old 05-11-2007, 09:37 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
Oh, and here in an article from yesterday's paper....

http://www.charlotte.com/414/story/116636.html (broken link)

Old 05-11-2007, 10:29 AM

462 posts, read 1,843,051 times
Just as a side bar on my thread, my wife found the school she was interested in and just looked up the principles e-mail addy on their website and just sent them an e-mail with her resume attached not knowing if they were looking to fill positions or not and got a job. Even in my field I have been sending out resumes blind to companies in my industry and I have recieved more call backs on those than acually responding to the online job boards.
My advice is do your research and find the schools that you feel you would be happy teaching in and just send them your resume even if there is nothing about open spots available. You may just get lucky and worst case scenario is you don't hear anything but atleast you tried.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:04 PM

I read the article, very interesting. My husband is the one who needs the job now. As for me, I just question if they need teachers so bad how can they turn away a qualified candidate. I tried the lateral entry route and it just doesn't work. I cannot use my business degree to teach because it doesn't fulfill the teacher shortage requirements. So, stupid.
The longer it takes me the more I realize it's not going to be possible. I have to complete a whole program including student teaching in order to become certified. I cannot afford this, finanically or professionally.

I was thinking of scratching off all hte work i've done already and either seek a Masters of Arts in Teaching at a local college, but during the student teaching time period, I don't know how we'd manage financially. Or just work on my MBA which I know would pay off. I know in my heart what I want, but I am a realist and I cannot pay my light bill or car insurance without a sufficent income. I cannot do a chuck e cheese job, I need serious grown up salary. ANyways, the Lateral Entry track is so out of wack. Plus this no child left behind stuff.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:21 PM

29 posts, read 219,447 times
Hey XNYgirl,

Here is some info that might help you:

http://www.dpi.state.nc.us/nclb/faqs/highly/ (broken link)

If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, it looks like you may be able to teach at a charter school without being fully licensed, as long as you pass the Praxis tests.

It also states on that page, as you suspected, "Meeting the federal definition of 'Highly Qualified' effectively eliminates lateral entry at the elementary grade levels."

NC does need teachers. I've read that around 3000 new teachers graduate annually from NC colleges/universities, but the state needs around 11,000 new teachers every year! However, there are also fully certified teachers flocking to NC from states where teachers are a dime a dozen (particularly elementary teachers). Because of that, even if NCLB didn't exist, I don't think schools would be looking for lateral entry elementary teachers... or at least, not until August/September (last minute). But, of course, NCLB is probably here to stay.

I think if your heart is telling you to be a teacher, then you need to listen to it! You only live once. You could take night classes to earn your certification while you work at your business job. And student teaching is only four months, so if you plan for it, it shouldn't throw you off too much.

Anyway, good luck with your decision!

Old 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM

Thank You Beachy. I really appreciate your research on my behalf.

I beleive, since I have a job and husband is looking, we have to wait until he secures something. He has passed his praxis last month and will have his teaching license this summer (administrative paper work). I do know he went through a full program so when he enters he will have an A license. Thus, no hoops to jump through.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 9,987 times
Any schools looking for a Spanish or Italian teacher in Charlotte, NC??? I've been looking for a while..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM

256 posts, read 1,145,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirella1217 View Post
Any schools looking for a Spanish or Italian teacher in Charlotte, NC??? I've been looking for a while..
You may already know about this but here is the link for the openings for CMS. [url="http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/departments/HR/jobListingsLawson.asp"]

I have been interviewing for an K-3 Teacher Assistant position and just actually got a job today. It takes a long time. Make sure that you apply online and make sure that all of your references are in. If you can't supply them with e-mail addresses of your references, be sure to make copies of the Reference Form and have your references fill them out and send them in quickly. If you don't have them on record, CMS won't even call you or consider you. They don't notify you of any missing info either. It is up to you to check the status of your application. They are pretty good about getting back to you through e-mail.

From my experience most schools will welcome any teacher, provided there is an opening in their school, who can speak fluent Spanish. You might try getting in as a substitute teacher first; and then once they get to know you and an opening comes up, you will get hired. Also, if there is an opening for a Parent Advocate, you would qualify b/c in some schools you need to be bi-lingual and your Spanish will be very valuable. Then when a teaching position comes up, you will be the first to know.

Don't get discouraged; it takes a good couple of months to get called. I have been applying since August. Also, apply for anything in elementary you qualify for in the area that you are interested b/c they supply the school the names of candidates who are on the list but have not been called even if they didn't apply for a particular job. That's how I got in. I applied for K-3 TA and it was for an undetermined (TBD) location and I got called. They other school, which is where I will be starting, just saw I was on the list and called me for an interview.

What area are you looking in? I will let you know if I hear of anything if you PM me and give me your e-mail address. Once you get hired, you have access to the intranet and the jobs are posted first internally and then go out to the public.

Also, in Feb. or March, each teacher and assistant has to let the Principal know if they are planning on returning or if they want a transfer to another school for the following year, so once April or May comes, they will be advertising for positions that they know will be vacant the following year. It also goes by projection of the number of students. It is actually easier to get in now (Dec. Jan) if there is a vacancy, even if it is an Interim position, than in April or May when everyone else is applying for the next year. If you get an interim position now until the end of the year, then you get to apply for transfers or they place you somewhere else in the system. Both times I got in, it was in December when someone was leaving mid-year.

Good luck. If there is anything I can do, or any questions you have, I will try to answer them or get the answers for you. This is actually my second time around with CMS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte