Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:50 AM

364 posts, read 632,129 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am fairly new to the upkeep on a lawn in nc. I just bought a house here in the Charlotte area and I believe have a mix of crabgrass and tall fescue. I was thinking about putting down seed (tall fescue probably), fertilizer, and lime. Is it too late in the fall to do this now? Any suggestions as this is my first home and I'm not familiar with lawn care. Should I wait untill after the winter is over and it is closer to spring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 01:18 PM

284 posts, read 603,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trckn4life View Post
Hello, I am fairly new to the upkeep on a lawn in nc. I just bought a house here in the Charlotte area and I believe have a mix of crabgrass and tall fescue. I was thinking about putting down seed (tall fescue probably), fertilizer, and lime. Is it too late in the fall to do this now? Any suggestions as this is my first home and I'm not familiar with lawn care. Should I wait untill after the winter is over and it is closer to spring?
When you say "a mix of crabgrass. . ." you realize crabgrass is a weed, right? And a dangerous, evil one for your lawn. I would recommend literally picking out as much of it as you can, and then aerate/overseed your lawn ASAP (It's close to being too late).

I highly recommend the Scotts website, where you can tailor your lawncare plan for climate and lawn type. www.scotts.com

Good luck!

Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Thank You. Yeah, I realize about the crabgrass. While at lowes today I picked up some Scott's winterguard to put on the lawn but not any seeds since I was not sure timewise. I also got a spreader. I am checking out the Scott's page now. Thanks.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:41 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,724,866 times
We have the same kind of lawn (lots of weeds) and aerated, mowed really short, and put down a mix of seed/lime/fertilizer about a week and a half ago... seedlings are just starting to emerge! Most of what I read recommended doing it earlier, but we gave it a shot and it seems to have worked.

I would do it soon though, it may be too late soon!

Old 11-07-2009, 08:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,106,437 times
I believe anytime before we start having cold weather like in late dec will give the seed plenty of time to start some roots and be nice in the spring. Dont use much fertilizer or it may grow too much before Jan/Feb and may kill it.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 AM

103 posts, read 459,200 times
When should I start putting fertilizer and/or weed control on my lawn. It's still below the freezing point most of the nights, so I'm wondering, if it's still too early for that.
What do you guys do here in Charlotte?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM

236 posts, read 803,816 times
Default lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lividsun View Post
When should I start putting fertilizer and/or weed control on my lawn. It's still below the freezing point most of the nights, so I'm wondering, if it's still too early for that.
What do you guys do here in Charlotte?
send me a direct message with your email address and i will send you a fertilizer schedule

Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM

236 posts, read 803,816 times
Just sent the schedule...assuming you have fescue grass.

Email is from yard.smart@hotmail.com

Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,173,109 times
You should not see any crabgrass this time of year as it would have all died off last fall. This is the time of the year to put out pre-emergent so it won't be there next year, but don't do this if you are going to plant new seed. The pre-emergent will stop it as well.

I recommend that you don't bother with the fescue or rebel grasses, which most plant in Charlotte, but which are virtually unknown throughout most of the South south of here. I would go with a St. Augustine as it will take the heat much better and it requires a lot less maintenance and water. If you do go with the typical stuff however, don't spend a lot of money on it as it won't survive the summer here anyway because there won't be time for it to develop deep enough roots.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Stephen I sent you a dm, I'd appreciate the fertilizer schedule if you could send it to me. I didn't get to seed the end of last yr so I may put down some seed (Saint Augustine sounds good) and fertilizer. Should the seed be given a few weeks before fertilizer is put down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte