Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 03:14 PM

292 posts, read 672,177 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am currently in the process of buying a house in the Henderson Park subdivision of Huntersville, NC. I looked up the builder (DR Horton) and read nothing but terrible things. I am very worried about the house I am under contract for! The house was built in 1997, and I am hoping that they weren't so bad back then?

Does anyone know if DR Horton built better homes in the late 90s? Anyone live in Henderson Park that can attest to build quality? Any information would help. I am set to close on November 19, and would like to know what I am getting into.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 04:33 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,215,667 times
I watched a lot of homes being built in the mid-90s and I think DR Horton put up a decent house in those days. They built a lot of nice homes in Wynfield and Wynfield Creek during that period. However as time went on I think they cheapened up on a lot of the construction they had cut back a lot on their features by the time they got to Wynfield Forest. On their homes in McAuley (completed around 2006), which were on the higher end, they did things such as using OSB board for the flooring instead of 3/4" plywood, which IMO is not a good floor. If you ever want to put down hardwoods, this stuff will have to be ripped up and replaced with plywood.

Henderson Park was built sometime between the good and the bad, so I recommend that whatever you do you get a good inspection done of the place. Builders from the mid-90s that scared me were Ryan, Ryland, Pulte and to a lesser extent Crossland and Squires. I don't think John Wieland homes are holding up that well either. Some good builders from that time are Robert Ingrahm & Trotter.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:26 PM

755 posts, read 2,494,148 times
DR Horton built us a house in 1996 in The Crossings in Steele Creek. We sold it last year. The air conditioners had to be replaced, and the water heater was on its way out, but the structure itself was sound.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
DR Horton built us a house in 1996 in The Crossings in Steele Creek. We sold it last year. The air conditioners had to be replaced, and the water heater was on its way out, but the structure itself was sound.

If your water heater lasted that long, you faired well. Can't complain there

Old 11-08-2009, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had an inspection from some one my Realtor recommended. They said the house seemed good overall. They found areas that should have been flashed, and since it wasn't, there was water damage, quickly followed by termite damage. The sellers have fixed everything that showed up on the inspection (including having proper flashing installed) and killed the termites with Termidor.

Little things that worried me about quality of build are cosmetic things such as the wall of the pantry in the kitchen being at an angle (noticeable to the naked eye), an unlevel top to the open doorway in between the dining room and kitchen, and kitchen cabinets that have slightly crooked shelves. These are mostly cosmetic things, it just made me worry about how its built.

I appreciate your replies.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 14,655 times
I bought a new DR Horton home in Orlando in the Estancia development, it was problems from day 1 with paperwork and the finished product was a nightmare, terrible workmanship with management dropping me like a hot potato. I went to a lawyer who told me straight, l cannot sue for losses as l had signed away all rights of financial reinstatement when l bought the house, I lost $38000.00 I found the whole episode unbelievable.................Thats DR Horton for you.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM

Default Only in America

Quote:
Originally Posted by evesy45 View Post
I bought a new DR Horton home in Orlando in the Estancia development, it was problems from day 1 with paperwork and the finished product was a nightmare, terrible workmanship with management dropping me like a hot potato. I went to a lawyer who told me straight, l cannot sue for losses as l had signed away all rights of financial reinstatement when l bought the house, I lost $38000.00 I found the whole episode unbelievable.................Thats DR Horton for you.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:20 AM

Oh wow, that sounds terrible! Sorry you had that terrible experience. I can't imagine losing 38,000.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:23 AM

Hi, I have since bought a home from DiVosta Homes, its like being on another planet, the care to detail and customer service was as good as DR Horton was bad, it has restored my faith in American Builders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte