Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:55 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times

Advertisements

N.C. Gov Announces New Plan To Finish I-485

Quote:
construction will likely start in the spring of 2010 because of current federal air quality issues. It is supposed to be finished by 2015. Without this plan, construction was scheduled to begin in late 2014 or early 2015.
The loop should be completed five years earlier than scheduled, saving taxpayers anywhere from $50 million to $100 million because of the current competitive construction environment.
Quote:
Perdue promised earlier this year to start work on I-485 in 2009. She later blamed local leaders for choosing other projects, including the widening of Independence Boulevard, as priority projects over I-485. Local leaders said they expected the governor to come up with a way to pay for it without taking money from other projects.

The new plan will also pay for the widening of Interstate 85 from four lanes to eight near Lowe’s Motor Speedway. That’s expected to cost $200 million.
Thoughts? I'm skeptical about the start and finish dates. Why wasn't this "nnovative solution" found sooner?

Last edited by NCgirl; 11-09-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 11:00 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,462,008 times
Not many (if any at all) details given on what projects will be side-tabled to do this. Last I looked, there wasn't any extra money floating around anywhere (local, county, state, or federal)...so that only means one thing: other projects put aside.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:10 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,346 times
I think you're right!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:35 PM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Good news if it happens. I think Perdue is paying attention to Mecklenburg, unlike almost every other NC Governor elected before her, because it was the votes here for here that helped put her in office. Though I remain sceptical this plan will happen, I don't think her predecessors, Easley and Hunt, even realized that Mecklenburg county was in NC. It's at least refreshing to see that she is paying us some attention. Maybe not the attention the largest in metro in the state deserves, but some is better than none.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:42 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,364 times
That is a long time to finish an interstate! I am skeptical as well but more so about the "should have been started five years earlier" part. However I agree with all of you who has posted before me.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:49 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,346 times
I hope this has no affect on my northern line rail to the Lake?

Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
I haven't liked the way she's handled a lot of things (i.e. Carbon Motors), but I give credit where credit is due. Her administration found a way to get it done sooner as she promised, and to me that's all that matters.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
wait 8 lanes on 85 by Concord Mills are they ever going to widen 85 from two lanes each way to something more between Concord Mills and University

Old 11-09-2009, 03:45 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,971,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
Good news if it happens. I think Perdue is paying attention to Mecklenburg, unlike almost every other NC Governor elected before her, because it was the votes here for here that helped put her in office. Though I remain sceptical this plan will happen, I don't think her predecessors, Easley and Hunt, even realized that Mecklenburg county was in NC. It's at least refreshing to see that she is paying us some attention. Maybe not the attention the largest in metro in the state deserves, but some is better than none.
I have to agree with you, lumbollo, I believe Perdue is the first governor to actually want to do something for Charlotte, b/c Lord knows, Easley didn't give a crap about Charlotte. I read on UrbanPlanet website last week where she was in China trying to land land their largest energy company's (ENN) US headquarters to Charlotte with help from Duke Energy. So all in all, it looks like she is trying to help out the Queen City.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,337,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I have to agree with you, lumbollo, I believe Perdue is the first governor to actually want to do something for Charlotte, b/c Lord knows, Easley didn't give a crap about Charlotte. I read on UrbanPlanet website last week where she was in China trying to land land their largest energy company's (ENN) US headquarters to Charlotte with help from Duke Energy. So all in all, it looks like she is trying to help out the Queen City.
Well, I'd have to agree with you and lumbollo on this one. Call it luck, call it straight ticket voters, call it whatever. The point is Charlotte most certainly made the smart move by voting her in. She owes her career to Charlotte and she KNOWS IT! We have a friend in Bev Perdue and I think that is more important than us having an ex-Charlotte Mayor as Governor. Let's face it, McCrory would have spent most of his career fighting with the Dems in Raleigh instead of getting anything done. I voted for McCrory (and Obama) during the Governor's race and I am proud to say that I was half wrong!!! Charlotte's straight ticket voters were the "smarter" voters the last time around. I think I might just join them the next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
Not many (if any at all) details given on what projects will be side-tabled to do this. Last I looked, there wasn't any extra money floating around anywhere (local, county, state, or federal)...so that only means one thing: other projects put aside.
I think more credit should be given to Blythe Construction. They are the contractor that is fronting the state a $25 million credit for the work being done. Without them, this plan is dead. Blythe was also involved in the I-85 widening that took place a few years back btw.

Blythe Construction Speeds Up NC I-85 Widening Project | Story ID: 3550 | Construction Equipment Guide Story

Being that Blythe is involved, I'd say this thing is probably "the real deal". It seems that Blythe (and companies like them) gets things done.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-09-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: